fishfinder with fuel flow sensors

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

adm1217

fishfinder with fuel flow sensors

Post by adm1217 »

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a new setup GPS/fishfinder for my F32. But what I really think I would be most interested in is the fuel flow information/data capabilities. Any ideas? I've been looking into the Garmin 541 and the Hummingbird 798 but I'm now sure how and if they are fully capable. Would like to keep it as cheap as possible but I will spend money for the right stuff.

Thanks,

Adam
Adam Nuetzel
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

hey Adam, I am looking to this as well. I already have 2- 441s models. the split screen drove me crazy but the 5" screen isnt that much difference IMO. I got lucky and bought a network hub from a friend for 100$. I think they are about 250$ at west marine. I dont see how other manufatured components could be intergraded but im always wrong so... Anyway the network hub allows me to add items to the GPS like Fuel and rudder and radar. It has 10 ports. check out Garmins site, ive learned that its not hard to figure out, but I also learned that other companies have better systems for about the same money. Keep use updated, i would like to know if you find out that you can intergrade different systems. Garmins fuel specs seem to be higher than other companies. I already have the bulk of the equipment so I will be giving it a test. Guys here can help you alot better than me im sure.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I have a budget system with Lowrance gear. I started with one LMS-520c unit I picked up on Craigslist for < $300. Then I bought a pair of their EP-60 flow sensors at $59 ea. About $200 in cables and it worked. Then quit. After hours of troubleshooting (weeks actually), I went through 2 more pair of EP-60s and finally figured out that I needed to add a fine filter before the sensors, mount the sensors for vertical fuel flow, and then its been fine.

Next, I don't like the results. The boat was more fun before I knew that at WOT, I'm burning 58 gallons per hr. What I hoped to find out was the ultimate cruising speed and trim settings for fuel economy. Its 1200 rpm and about 9 MPH. That would make sense without the fancy gauges.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

do it right, or don't waste your money.

one word...

FLOSCAN

reasonably priced for a carbed engine and totally accurate and reliable.

had one when I was running the 454's cost about 300.00 saved me untold $$$$ and helped me tune the engines better as the jets were wrong in one carb burning 5gph more than the other engine.

Helped me go from .6 nmpg tp .83 nmpg (that's nearly 1 statute mile per gallon) on a 13' beam, 33' boat wth twin 454's

FLOSCAN !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

RWS wrote:do it right, or don't waste your money.

one word...

FLOSCAN

reasonably priced for a carbed engine and totally accurate and reliable.

had one when I was running the 454's cost about 300.00 saved me untold $$$$ and helped me tune the engines better as the jets were wrong in one carb burning 5gph more than the other engine.

Helped me go from .6 nmpg tp .83 nmpg (that's nearly 1 statute mile per gallon) on a 13' beam, 33' boat wth twin 454's

FLOSCAN !

RWS

+1

The main reason I'm going to do Floscans is to know ahead of time what the engines are doing. If you notice that one is burning more or less, you know right quick a problem is about to arise.
And just some friendly advice from past experiences.... spend a little more now and your less likely to have regrets later!!
Justify it to the Wife by telling her you'll drink cheaper beer for 2 months. :lol: :lol:
Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

LandVF36 wrote:I have a budget system with Lowrance gear. I started with one LMS-520c unit I picked up on Craigslist for < $300. Then I bought a pair of their EP-60 flow sensors at $59 ea. About $200 in cables and it worked. Then quit. After hours of troubleshooting (weeks actually), I went through 2 more pair of EP-60s and finally figured out that I needed to add a fine filter before the sensors, mount the sensors for vertical fuel flow, and then its been fine.

Next, I don't like the results. The boat was more fun before I knew that at WOT, I'm burning 58 gallons per hr. What I hoped to find out was the ultimate cruising speed and trim settings for fuel economy. Its 1200 rpm and about 9 MPH. That would make sense without the fancy gauges.
I don't think I would like knowing that my fish cost $136.00 a pound. :lol:
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have never got fish that cheap .

I do like flow scans my self . but buying them for diesels is $$$$$
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

MadBen wrote: I don't think I would like knowing that my fish cost $136.00 a pound. :lol:
But the time spent on the water fishing, with friends and family.... well that is just priceless
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i have an lowrance hds system with fuel flow and several other nmea2000 sensors connected and also the structure scan module. mine are very accurate , so just because they're not floscans doesnt mean that it wasnt done right. there are other products out there. if you want a "fishfinder" with this capability this is one choice. you can also check the garmin but as i pointed out to jeff law35 you better check the minimum flow rate of the garmin sensor. it seemed a bit high.and if it is what it says it wont measure the correct fuel rate a very low throttle or at idle of a least a chrysler 318. the lowrance sensor is calibrated between .6 and 45 gal/hr.

the garmin GFS 10 will include fuel level sensing capability when connected to an existing analog fuel gauge or resistive fuel tank sensor. Maximum fuel flow rate for the GFS 10 is 50 gal/hr (189.27 L/hr), and the minimum flow rate is 2 gal/hr .

i can speak that the lowrance hds with fuel flow does what it says and is an option that would fit what you stated you were looking for.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe