zinc anodes

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Freddy

zinc anodes

Post by Freddy »

I have a 1976 F30 single screw. There are some old anodes on the shaft and rudder, possibly elsewhere. I am wondering if anyone knows where I might find specs or general rule of thumb guidance regarding how to better protect.
1976 F30 Model 303
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

there are a few treads I searched and found alot of info on this Freddy
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

Generally that is all you need. If you have trim tabs or a heat exchanger, there may be some on those. Trim tabs would be similar to your rudder zincs (sacrificial anodes) and a pencil shaped one in your heat exchanger. They need to be replaced periodically.
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

When installing the zincs on the rudder. Propellor shaft and trim tabs, be sure to wire brush or sand the surface to make sure the zinc has good contact with the bare metal of your boat for the zinc to work properly,
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Clean and rough up the surfaces as mentioned. Some shaft anodes come with special instructions (sharp light blow with hammer), these have a little protruding ball embedded on the side that makes contact with the shaft for better continuity. The more sacraficial protection you have, the better. If you don't have any on the trim tabs for example, you may consider adding a 3 inch anode on each tab. You may also want to consider increasing the size of the current rudder anodes. The shaft anodes should be placed within an inch forward of the strut. If you are experiencing extensive corrosion and with no apparent reason for such that you can see based on your vessel, it may be an issue with the marina or your neighbours' boats. In such a case, I would add a transom (Diver 12x6) anode if not in place already. For additional protection, there are galvanic isolators that protect while hooked up to shore power, and impressed current cathodic protection devices such as Merc Marine's Mercathode system that protects while away from the dock as well.

Buzzards Bay? I'm assuming salt water? If so use zinc anodes. If fresh water application, use magnesium anodes.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Big D wrote: Buzzards Bay? I'm assuming salt water? If so use zinc anodes. If fresh water application, use magnesium anodes.
For the Delaware River (brackish water), we use aluminum anodes.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Which of the three is more sacrificial? Corrodes most readily?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There are many factors that affect the type and amount of protection required; water velocity, boat usage, fresh/salt/brachish water environment, condition of equipment protective coatings etc. Metals with higher negative potentials will corrode faster than metals having lower potentials. The list below will give an idea of where some common metals on boats lie in terms of thier suseptability to corrode compared to others. Magnesium being the highest negative potential in this case and therefore corrodes faster in an electrolyte (water) compared to bronze for example. Gold on the other hand has a positive potential thus can be submerged for hundreds of years and still be fine....so all we need do is get gold running gear :wink:

Magnesium................ -1.65V
Aluminum aloy............ -1.10V
Zinc......................... -1.05V
Galvanized iron........... -1.05V
Aluminum................... -0.75V
Mild steel................... -0.70V
Cast iron.................... -0.70V
Lead.......................... -0.55V
Manganese bronze........ -0.27V
Copper, brass, bronze.... -0.25V
Monel.......................... -0.20V
Stainless steel............... -0.20V
Nickel........................... -0.15V
Silver............................ -0.00V
Gold.............................. +0.15V

If we look at the list, and dropped a piece of aluminum and a piece of copper into water, the aluminum would corrode faster; in the presence of stray currents, it would sacrifice it's self if you will so the copper is protected against stray currents. The greater the difference in potential between two metals, the better protected the one with the lower negative potential will be.

If you have aluminum running gear such as a stern drive, having a metal close to it that is lower in the scale such as stainless steel would cause the drive to corrode; hence the corrosion issues with Merc Bravo drives or any others with stainless props. This would also hold true on an inboard with a hydraulic swim platform made out of aluminum and the running gear of stainless and bronze; the platform gear would corrode fast as it sacrifices metal in the presence of stainless unless a metal with a higher negative potential is introduced.
Last edited by Big D on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The anode websites list magnesium for fresh water, aluminum for brackish water, and zinc for salt water. This would imply that aluminum is between magnesium and zinc. In my personal experience, the aluminum anodes corrode faster than the zinc anodes. Is it possible the anode companies are using a different aluminum alloy?
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Just found this reference which places aluminum between magnesium and zinc. Not sure why there's a difference.

Metal Potential, Volts
Calcium +2.20
Magnesium +1.87
Aluminum +1.30
Manganese +1.07
Zinc +0.758
Chromium +0.600
Iron +0.441
Cadmium +0.398
Nickel +0.220
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Something's not making sence to me. Did they mention what the refference was for those readings? That would imply that an aluminum stern drive with zinc anodes for example would sacrifice metal to the zinc anode (sacrifice the drive) if we go by that chart. I'll have to confirm those numbers. I agree with the metals you're naming for the water conditions, bare in mind that conditions change things depending on the water type.

Suffice it to say though in spite of differing numbers, that yes;
Zinc or aluminum for salt water
Aluminum for brackish water
Magnesium for fresh water

It should also be noted that for us woodies in fresh water, magnesium should never be use as it will damage wood.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

D I love you to death but you hurt my brain Sometimes. I can't keep up, and that's not possible to me :cry: :lol:
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Sorry I just had to play
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

How about I play with your brain some more and throw a wrench into things by giving some reasons why I think you should use aluminum in salt water instead of zinc?? :shock: or would that be sacrificial sacrilege by stepping out of tradition :lol:
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Ouch I was just teasing :lol: But it wouldn't hurt, I can cut and make aluminum. Just might not look good under water lol. Please keep speaking at me lol. Zinc goes fast!!