Teak, Corian, and Naugahyde updates to my 10 meter interior

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

I am applying teak veneer to all of my galley cabinets as well as the wetbar and stateroom dresser. I am using 10 mil paper backed veneer 4 x 8 sheets. I am applying the veneer with clear spray grade epoxy contact cement. Each surface must be entirely covered with the cement. Edge banding is hot glue iron on.

I also have nine corian countertops on order. Here are a few early progress pics. More to follow.

Cabinet doors with unfinished teak veneer applied.

Here is a pic of a partially finished cabinet door. I am finishing with two coats of clear epoxy resin followed by three coats of varnish and probably a final coat of semi gloss varnish to reduce interior glare.

All of the cabinet faces will have teak applied as well. It is time consuming but the end product should be great...and a huge improvement over the white Formica laminate.

As far as applying teak veneer to interior wall surfaces, I have removed vinyl and belt sanded. Wipe with acetone and apply teak veneer with same high quality contact cement.

The teak veneer sheets should be sequence matched for cabinets for best results. The cabinet faces should be covered with the surrounding areas of the same teak veneer sheets so the grain flows from the cabinet frame across cabinet doors.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
my10meter
Sporadic User

10 mtr process

Post by my10meter »

First- I can not take credit for the interior as it was done by the previous owner. He told me the process he used. The carpet on the walls were removed by soaking the carpet in lacquer thinner and then peeling the carpet. The remainder of the adhesive was removed by a da. He used heavy paper to pattern the teak. The teak is paper backed and all walls were patterned out. Epoxy was troweled on the walls - the epoxy was in a peanut butter state. The teak was then installed and a laminate roller to get it to adhere.
Capt Dana
85'/05' 10 Meter Express
http://www.fishgh.com
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

The walls on your boat are stunning. What type of finish do you have on the teak?
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
my10meter
Sporadic User

teak finish

Post by my10meter »

The teak in the interior is all oiled with starbright teak oil

I am trying a different product for my transom gunnel cap called Teak Guard
Capt Dana
85'/05' 10 Meter Express
http://www.fishgh.com