Portlight Installation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

abkeywest

Portlight Installation

Post by abkeywest »

I had to pull one of my portlights on my 10 meter to repair the glass clamp mechanism. I had it fixed and now need to put it back in. Reading online there are a million products and just as many methods to put the ports back in. Does anybody have a method and preference of material for installation?

Thanks
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Tony just went through that process

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
abkeywest

Post by abkeywest »

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated :)
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I've done 3 or 4 on my boat. The biggest thing I've found is you need to run a bead of clear sealant on the outside between the frame and portlight itself. That wasn't done from the factory and I believe that is a source of water in big waves, in addition to the seal itself.

I assume you just replaced the inner half correct? I also ran a bead around that using the same stuff before reinstall. That part is not as critical though as it never really comes into play if the outside bead is there.

Sure, you could use 4000 to do the same thing. You don't need 4200 or higher because the screws around the frame are the fastening part.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
abkeywest

Post by abkeywest »

I removed the complete portlight. I had to have one of the window clamps rewelded back on. So I have the portlight in my hand ready to be put back in.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

BobCT wrote:I've done 3 or 4 on my boat. The biggest thing I've found is you need to run a bead of clear sealant on the outside between the frame and portlight itself. That wasn't done from the factory and I believe that is a source of water in big waves, in addition to the seal itself.

I assume you just replaced the inner half correct? I also ran a bead around that using the same stuff before reinstall. That part is not as critical though as it never really comes into play if the outside bead is there.

Sure, you could use 4000 to do the same thing. You don't need 4200 or higher because the screws around the frame are the fastening part.

Bob
Bob hit it dead on :wink: I'd use a Marine clear silicone RTV (Carver used this so I went back to it) the outer seal and the seal between the parts are the most important and tighten evenly
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I recently replaced the round seal on one of mine (head) and have five more to go.

My question is .... how do you get them apart and then out to rebed them?

The fixed one in my closet is (pretty sure) leaking.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I wouldn't necessarily remove them to re-bed like other fittings on the boat. As long as you've run a bead between the frame and the portlight on the outside you should be set.

If you want to remove the inner half to replace the screen or run a new bead around the inside frame, just remove all the screws inside the boat and it will pull right out. The outer frame is secured with different screws so you can do this with the boat in the water.

I had visions of the whole thing falling into the drink the first time I did this and figured out how it was assembled.
1988 10m mid cabin
abkeywest

Post by abkeywest »

BobCT - When you say that the inside frame can be removed with out removing the outside frame. Would you know if that is for the 10 meter portlights?
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

I'm sure the 10M is similar to the 11M. The outside frame does not connect to the inner frame at all. Rather, the outside frame has tabs that screw in to the core between the exterior and interior fiberglass layers. Terrible design. When the frames begin to leak (and they will) the core gets wet.

If I recall correctly, the inner frame screws in to the inner wall of fiberglass. And yes, you can definitely remove the inner frame independently from the outer frame, with no fear that the outer frame will fall into the drink.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Bluebelle got it spot on.... the only + on the 10m is no core to worry about but same issues apply.
1988 10m mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

are the 10 meter sides cored ?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
JGedridge
Sporadic User

Post by JGedridge »

I believe they are according to the power boat guide. Be careful!!!

Joe
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

no hull coring on the 10 meters (mid cabin) at least.
1988 10m mid cabin
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

My mid cabin is just like what they are describing, I resealed all my port holes the factory sealant was old and brittle, I cleaned off all the old sealant used boat life sealant and put a large bead on the outer frame and secured it, wiped everything down then ran a bead between the two halves as i put them together to seal the gap between them that is very critical for a water tight seal. The project really was not that difficult in fact I installed the last port hole while the boat was in the travel lift headed for the water, nothing like waiting to the last minute.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin