Exaust water leak 1985 trojan 11 meter sedan international

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Carlhere

Exaust water leak 1985 trojan 11 meter sedan international

Post by Carlhere »

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and I am considering buying a 1985 trojan 11 meter sedan international and I could really use some help.
This is equipt with 671 diesel engines. On the port engine there is a large exaust hose that connects to a plate on the port side of the inside port wall maybe just above the water line.
This plate mounts up against the port wall with many screws and lead to 7 port holes on the port side where the exaust comes out. Only when the engine is running and for a few seconds after it is shut off there is water leaking at the bottom of this plate on the inside and running down to the bilge area.
Anyone have any experience to repair this or has anyone had this problem.
Can the plate be removed without hauling the boat out of the water?
What action has to been done to repair this?
Is there a gasket or o-rings used to make the seal.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can take the next step.
Thanks Carl
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Welcome aboard Carl. I believe there are a few guys here with that set up, one of whom I think has recently worked on that. Hang in there, I'm sure those guys will pitch in soon. Hope it goes your way, and good luck with the purchace. Lots of info here so ask away any time.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

Are you sure the exhaust trunk itself is leaking, or perhaps the exhaust hose into the trunk? The boat must be hauled to repair an exhaust trunk leak. It is below the waterline. The repair itself is not difficult. If the trunk is leaking, then remove the plate and reseat.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome aboard Carl.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Carlhere

Post by Carlhere »

Thanks BlueBelle for your reply. I have clearly checked the exaust hose for the leak to be sure it was not running water along the bottom of the hose and onto the trunk that would make it appear like the trunk was leaking. But it is not the hose.
It is the plate(trunk) itself. The water is seeping out of the bottom of the trunk.
Can I clarify how to repair.
The boat must be hauled to Repair this? Is it possible to plug the 7 port exaust holes on the outside to stop water from coming in during the repair?
After removing the trunk what is used to reseal/reseat it? Gasket? Orings? Caulking or something else?
The reason I ask this is that I will want to have all material and tools necessary to do this repair.
Also the screws on the trunk are maybe every few inches apart and there are many of them. I am hoping they will not be corroded and difficult to remove or need to be replaced.
Thanks Carl
CBrodie

Re: Exaust water leak 1985 trojan 11 meter sedan international

Post by CBrodie »

Hey guys, I'm having the exact same issue with my International 10 Meter. How did your repair go? Thanks!