remeber to run the blowers or ...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

remeber to run the blowers or ...

Post by prowlersfish »

just a reminder Always use your blowers and siff for gas . one boat blew up to day near by .

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/06/several ... -explosion
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

I was just there working on the bayliner, darn news crews were filming us. I took pics of the boat if you'd like to see them, 2 badly injured. dock hands said the 2 guys sitting on the engine cover were thrown 20 feet in the air and landed on the windshield of the boat. My wife dispatched the rescue call, then called me. I was already planing on going out there to work on my starter after work. Its sad. I didnt want to be on the news but I think I probly will be. They seemed interested that I was working on the motor. 4 guys had just fueled up and started out of the marina when she blew up, was a very sobering evening for me at my spot. The boat still smells like its burning.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Just a year ago this past holiday we had one go up here in Presque Isle Bay. It killed one person and badly injured others.
We also just had it happen to one a few day ago up in New York. Nothing to mess with.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

WOW Jack ARSE on the news accualy Just said the fire started in the bow where the engine is!!! um I took pics, Nope no engine in the bow!!! its just where the fire blew out from first LOL I want to call and post pics on there page just to show him hes more of an idiot than I am.
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Along those lines, I just ordered a Fireboy MB-1-R vapor detector. Where should I mount the sensor? Anywhere in F28 engine compartment above any bilge water marks? Its a single sensor unit 20ft long.
1978 F-28
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

found one in my boat mounted on bulkhead about 2 feet away from the motor around engine top level
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

mine are mounted towards the keel 4" above the bilge one on port fwd and one stbd aft.......reminder when's the last time you checked the fill hose from the deck fitting to the tank ?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

I looked at those fill hoses just last weekend.....ugh..........numerous cracks but not leaking YET. They are very rigid to put it mildly (OEM????). That's one job I think I'll bite the bullet and get someone else to do. Along with new ground cables. I'll have to get a quote from the marina service dept. Probably another $500 +.
1978 F-28
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I love the sniffers....have one in the engine room and one @ aft fuel tank. They work perfect..... the engine room one went off after a backfire and the rear one went off when I spilled maybe 5 drops of gas while changing my fuel back flow preventers

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sniffers are great But nothing beats sticking your noise in the bilge . after fueling up . Best way is use both you noise and the sniffer .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

And for us gaser's running your blowers after running the the boat is just as important. Having a mid-engine boat if the engines and engine room is hot the gas in the carb's flumes off out of them, running them pulls the flumes and helps cool the space down...
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

alexander38 wrote:And for us gaser's running your blowers after running the the boat is just as important. Having a mid-engine boat if the engines and engine room is hot the gas in the carb's flumes off out of them, running them pulls the flumes and helps cool the space down...
Thanks Tony - never thought of running the blowers after shutdown. Good advice.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I would hope everybody here knows to stick they're nose deep down into the bilge before every start.
+1 on Tony....I usually run mine about an hour after shutdown....removes heat also and that funky smell of hot hoses!

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
pwollsch

Post by pwollsch »

I know this is a month old thread, but I am new to the bigger boat situation and learn from you guys all the time.

When I refueled a week ago I had hatches open looking and smelling... Partially because I could not believe how much gas she took!

On a serious note, running the blowers after shutdown is a great idea, and will start doing it today.
1072 14 ft Meijers - Sears outboard
1990 17 ft Sea Nymph - 70 Johnson
1992 17 Tracker Deep-V - 40 Yamaha (still own)
1987 266 Cruisers Inc - 460 King Cobra
1974 F36 Trojan - Twin Crysler M400
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

+1 - very good advice, rodger that :wink:
--
Greetings - Heiner