Marine 502's

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peter
Moderate User

Marine 502's

Post by Peter »

looked today.very impressed.considering making a offer.

Comments?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1986- ... h-99963857
Last edited by Peter on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Are you still talking about the Egg Harbor??...you keep making a new thread.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

going to look at the egg on Tuesday....

forgot to post the link...duh

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1986- ... h-99963857
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

She'll be thirsty....
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I have been on both of those boats, along with the Trojan that you first looked at.
That Sea-Ray has been up for sale for a very long time at numerous locations.
You can't even begin to compare it's sea keeping abilities to the Trojan. My girlfriend has one and we use it as a local cruising boat but that's it.
Anything over 3 to 4 footers and it is one uncomfortable boat to run.
Whenever the wind picks up or we are going to travel, we take my boat.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

502's are reliable engines but they burn oil. My 454's don't burn a drop but the 502's are known oil burners so you need to stay on top of the level.

Check the Crusader forum for more details.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

That boats in my marina, let me know if you want me to look at it. I will ask if anyone knows anything about it.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the replies.Disappointed in the report on sea keeping on the sea ray.Does it pound or get tossed around? Mechanically I thought it was really well done.A lot of thought and attention to detail went into the mechanicals ,gel coat and canvas excellent,but the interior salon really lacks any character.

Went to see the Egg today ( broker cancelled for tomorrow so move it up)Needs new carpets,Isingglass is a little cloudy on the cockpit.Solid glass stringers but cored hullsides.Needs electronics.The interior ROCKS.Georgeous ( except the carpets.)No Winlass or ancor winch?(what's with that?).Low hrs on the engines.REALLY liked it, but not sure I want to spring for the extra cash....but damn is it nice!

going to digest for bit...

thanks for the input :D
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Peter wrote:Thanks for the replies.Disappointed in the report on sea keeping on the sea ray.Does it pound or get tossed around? Mechanically I thought it was really well done.A lot of thought and attention to detail went into the mechanicals ,gel coat and canvas excellent,but the interior salon really lacks any character.
thanks for the input :D
Peter,
The boat is a great beach and entertaining/overnighting boat in calm water.
I have worked on this boat for about 12 years or so and can say that some things are pretty well laid out and some are just horrible. I guess just like any other boat.
There is a lot of junk used for fasteners and fittings.
In anything over about 3' waves the boat pounds something fierce. When you get to about 4- 5 footers, the cavitation starts and gets pretty bad. This boat has prop pockets so I guess it is to be expected.
It is also a very wet ride.
I do not beat a boat at all and am very careful in everything I do but I can say that running across the lake in 3-4 footers you will start seeing things coming apart in the cabin.
In contrast, I have owned a 10, 11 and 12Meter and can say that 3-5 footers in any of those is a walk in the park. I would just set the autopilot and sit back to enjoy the ride.
My girlfriend did not even know how bad her boat handled the waves until she got on mine. She stated that if she would have know then what she knows now she would never have purchased it.
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the reply.Going to take a pass on the Sea Ray.Did make an offer on the Egg but couldn't come to terms...(...yet?...) :shock: