Yet another.... Vacuflush System Question !!!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Natchamp
Sporadic User

Yet another.... Vacuflush System Question !!!

Post by Natchamp »

Yes, I've used the search and read a bunch of threads but I couldn't find anything exactly like I have. My system is a Mansfield Vacuflush model 806. It's different in what I usually see because it doesn't have a base, it sits in a hole in the fiberglass of the boat. My boat is a 85' Express 10m.

So, I've read that the vacuflush systems are great when working and I like how simple they are too. I've taken everything out as you can see in the pics below.

Should I ?

a) try to find parts to rebuild, ie; duck bills, base seal, ball valve, etc.

b) install a new system

I'm thinking that rebuilding what I have is probably the ticket, especially the odd way in which it is mounted. But I thought I would ask since I'm probably not the first person to go through this. I used to have a link with some pdf manuals and information on the different models but can't find it now so any information is greatly appreciated.

LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Mark, I have a vacuflush system in our F36. On our unit, the pump is part of "surge tank", not seperate as is yours. I cleaned ours up about 5 years ago when I was putting the boat back together and have not had one ounce of trouble from it.

Looks like you have some cleaning up to do, but I'd say its worth it compared to a macerator/pump type system or a completely manual head.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

If the vacuum pump works then rebuild..... they really are trouble free systems, very simple and few parts repair.
Were you to go to a new head you may need to lower the existing toilet floor, which might be a lot of work.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Crazy Yankee

Post by Crazy Yankee »

Call Northeast Sanitation. They are experts in the Vaccu-Flush. I think the guys name is Mike, and he was very helpful. 631-752-7606

Just went through ours. We have the same system in our '85.

Mike will blow you away with his knowledge on the system......I talked to him when it was still in the boat, and before the project. You may understand him better since everything is out on yours.
1985 Trojan International 10 Meter Express

Crazy Yankee Sportfishing
sluggo
Sporadic User

Re: Yet another.... Vacuflush System Question !!!

Post by sluggo »

Natchamp wrote:Yes, I've used the search and read a bunch of threads but I couldn't find anything exactly like I have. My system is a Mansfield Vacuflush model 806. It's different in what I usually see because it doesn't have a base, it sits in a hole in the fiberglass of the boat. My boat is a 85' Express 10m.

So, I've read that the vacuflush systems are great when working and I like how simple they are too. I've taken everything out as you can see in the pics below.

Should I ?

a) try to find parts to rebuild, ie; duck bills, base seal, ball valve, etc.

b) install a new system

I'm thinking that rebuilding what I have is probably the ticket, especially the odd way in which it is mounted. But I thought I would ask since I'm probably not the first person to go through this. I used to have a link with some pdf manuals and information on the different models but can't find it now so any information is greatly appreciated.

I found the parts to rebuild the vac u flush part pretty easily, it fiits in the same base etc and you just put in the new pump and duck bills. it was actually pretty easy, although I did end up paying $20 to the dock hand to get the duck bills in right, took him about 5 min. the new pump is much quieter than the old. good luck!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Guys,
I have a 86' 10 meter express with the same system. It works but the only issues I'm having is that the pump won't shut off by itself. I have to turn it on and off via the switch on the master panel. Now I haven't spent much time looking into it but I believe its the vacuum switch assembly located on the end of the vacuum tank. If I fiddle with it the pump shuts off. It creates a great vacuum. I found a replacement part for the assembly at this link, http://www.northeastsanitation.com/vacuum_tank.php
I'm going to pull it this weekend and see if i can fix it before buying a new one.
13m International Express, 1985
Maryland
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Lumpy wrote:Guys,
I have a 86' 10 meter express with the same system. It works but the only issues I'm having is that the pump won't shut off by itself. I have to turn it on and off via the switch on the master panel. Now I haven't spent much time looking into it but I believe its the vacuum switch assembly located on the end of the vacuum tank. If I fiddle with it the pump shuts off. It creates a great vacuum. I found a replacement part for the assembly at this link, http://www.northeastsanitation.com/vacuum_tank.php
I'm going to pull it this weekend and see if i can fix it before buying a new one.
I have had the same issue on numerous boats and can say that I have not been able to service the switch at all and just replaced them.
They can be a real bear to unscrew also.
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

What are you looking for? I have some of the original manuals. I'll check when I get home. The only problem I had was when my wife flushed the head with a cast on her foot and broke off the end of the handle. I also used RWS idea and put baby oil in the bowl when I had a leak. This fixed the ball valve.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Jerry wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Guys,
I have had the same issue on numerous boats and can say that I have not been able to service the switch at all and just replaced them.
They can be a real bear to unscrew also.
I just jumper mine and use the head in on/off mode and don't worry about maintaining a vacuum between flushes.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I have the same system. Just got the parts from here
http://www.seacoastservices.com
its a nice system that is very easy to work on. one of the best things about the vacuflush is how little water is needed. you dont need to pump out every other day like some boats.
before

after

new pressure valve installed

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Agree, unit is still totally rebuildable.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

How is the toilet attached to the base.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

there are four "toilet bolts" that are inserted before you screw the base down with 8 screws. the toilet bolts look just like the ones you use on your house toilet. there is a thick rubber gasket that seals the head to the funnel shaped base (like a wax ring on a regular toilet)
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

My pump won't shut off but if I move the spring on the switch it will then stop. Do you think it's the spring/switch assembly or something else cause a vacuum leak? Only problem is if I leave the pump run for lets say 1 minute and flush the toilet there is a ton of vacuum built up. So it appears it create the vacuum but the switch won't move to shut it off. thoughts?
13m International Express, 1985
Maryland
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Its my understanding that if your pump will not shut off and your system holds vaccum ( if you let the pump run for a minute, flip the breaker , come back in 30 minutes and it flushes) then its the vacuum switch.

http://www.seacoastservices.com/product ... pe%29.html
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea