My first happiest day....

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

My first happiest day....

Post by P-Dogg »

Well, I did it. We were at the beach last June when my wife said the words that every man wants to hear. You know the ones -- "Why don't we get a boat?" After basically 9 months of window shopping and getting our finances in order, and 3 months of serious shopping, I bought a boat.

When I first started thinking about a boat a couple of years ago, I kept ending up looking at tricabs. Not being a serious fisherman, i.e., not requiring a cockpit to land fish, they just seemed to have everything I needed -- two heads, two staterooms, a decent galley, no ladder to a flybridge (wife's knees), and wide flat side decks without any interruptions (like the Carver aft cabins) -- and they just look so dang nice. An added benefit is that whenever anyone leaves the cabin to come up on deck, they have to go by the skipper. On many flybridge models, guests come and go behind and below you, and if someone leaves the flybridge, you're not sure if they fell off or went inside -- a tad unnerving when they are young kids.

I don't know how many boats the average boat shopper looks at, but I looked at 11 in person. From Maryland, I flew to Tennessee (to find out that the PO (O?) was a chain cigar smoker), to Ohio (to find out that the boat was damaged (see the thread "broken tabbing, cracks in hull, what's normal?" around May 16 -- I tried to find the thread, is it possible it has been deleted?, or am I forum-challenged?), drove to Philly and NJ to look at boats that needed $45K work of work to make them worth $25K, a Craigslist Tricab in Baltimore that was the same price as the other boats, that oh by the way, still had their generator!, and on, and on, and on.

And then I found the one. After a disappointing trip the previous weekend, my wife (gotta love her), emailed me a link on Tuesday to one that was just across the Chesapeake bay and said "What about this one?" I'm like -- what the crap, where did this come from? Well it turns out it was just listed. I drove over on Saturday to look at it. Do to a miscue with the broker, the owner didn't know I was coming and was out on a cruise. They came back to the dock and I got to look at the boat, but the result wasn't pretty. Suffice to say that things were polite but not congenial. My offer was met with a "We're not even going to counter" (I was within 17% of asking, and with an email to the broker saying that I wouldn't come back after the survey and nit-pick -- structural issues only). It's funny --turns-out this is pretty close to where we ended-up. I was not trolling or low-balling. I looked the boat over when I was there ( a 5 hr. round trip in a car will cause you to determine then and there if you needed to come back ever), and there were a few things that needed attention, but nothing terribly serious -- just the kind of things that show-up on a used boat that an owner might not notice because they were not looking really hard, unlike someone who was about to enter into a completely optional and potentiallly expensive endeavor would be.

While the boat was obviously for sale, it turns out that owners just were not ready for someone to come along the very first week and buy their boat. I had looked at 10 boats that were not nearly as nice and was ready to buy this one -- right now. They (rightfully so) thought that it might take a year to sell (many boats I looked at when I started window shopping last summer were still for sale this year). We eventually agreed on a price and the owner was there for the survey, so I got to show him some of the stuff that I found. I can say that things were far better this time -- we really hit it off, and I can say that the owner is a genuinely nice guy who didn't just have his second happiest day, but rather closed a chapter in his life as it moved on.

I will post pics as soon as I get a chance. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who provided advice and shared their experiences for the last year. Oh, and to brag that I have THE NICEST 1981 - 1985 TRICABIN OUT THERE! This was absolutely the best boat of this type available east of the Mississippi, and I am truly fortunate to have her. I look forward not so much as being the new owner of this fine vessel, but rather look forward to years of being its steward.

I guess the next order of business is to change that signature! Then the questions will REALLY begin. Thanks, Perry
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Congrats on the new toy . May it serve you well
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

As a very happy tri-cabin owner myself, I know the feelings you are experiencing. Congrats on the purchase & I'm looking forward to your pics.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

MAZEL TOV perry!! i'm glad you included me in for most of the adventure. i loved being your 'sounding board', and i cannot wait to see her. chemo and the like be damned, i hope you will still include me in things.
tri cabin aaron, baltimore, md.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Glad you finally landed your trophy. Its worth looking and waiting.

Welcome aboard - look forward to some pictures.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

Hello Perry - and a very welcome aboard. :D
--
Greetings from Germany - Heiner
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Congrats - I hope you have many happy years with her.

You were so right about that flybridge - I had that happen to me this past weekend. Guests can be quite stupid sometimes!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

Congratulations! Cannot wait to see pictures.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

great to hear you found what you wanted... :wink:

But disagree on the fly Bridge thing... :wink: I love mine, and as far as guest they come and go once without letting know where they are... :evil:

what's her old name ? And new one ?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Pick a marina yet ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:Pick a marina yet ?
++1 :D
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

congrats and welcome to ownership

Now it's time to do the MOST important thing...

start making some memories !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I don't have a marina yet. I had a slip in Sir Aaron's marina lined-up, but then someone who actually HAD a boat already went and signed a contract and paid their money -- the nerve of some people! I didn't want to pay for a slip until I had a boat, so now I am looking again. I did sign a one month deal with Ferry Point on the Magothy until I decide on a permanent place for at least this year. I had a slip in Atlantic Marine Resorts on the Patapsco for about 45 minutes, but the boat wouldn't fit in the only slip available -- had the port bow on the piling and about 8" between the finger pier and the hull on the starboard side. The funnest part was answering everyone's questions about how it got there -- I said it grew there. I am glad it didn't work out actually, because while it looked good on the website and from Google Earth, the first thing that I noticed was how much all of the boats were moving in their slip -- a lot of traffic in and out of the boat rack, plus a good fetch facing directly into the short channel into the marina.

One issue that I want to clarify. This is the best of the tricabs out there that were FOR SALE. No insult intended for any of our esteemed forum members who have a nice tricab that is not for sale.

Her current name "Old Flame," formerly owned by our friend Jim Irons who uses the handle, well, "Old Flame." I didn't know that when I went to look at the boat, but a couple of days after I made an offer, my wife googled the boat name and got a forum hit. All things considered, I think everyone got a good deal all around. I got a great boat that everyone who has seen it loves, and Jim got his boat sold quickly in a crappy market. I told the broker that the best business deals are those that happen where everyone is friends afterwards, and I think that is where we are at.

We're not set on changing the name. If we do, some candidates are:

Cat's Away (most likely)
I Land Girl (say it fast)
Trojan Worrier (play on trojan soldier warrior and that latex product not working -- a boat name I always liked when I was much younger)
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

P-Dogg wrote:
Trojan Worrier (play on trojan soldier warrior and that latex product not working -- a boat name I always liked when I was much younger)
:lol: And they say my "Rubber Guppy" is wrong :lol: Congrats on the new boat!!!
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

RATS!!! i was really hoping that you would be at parkside, but, there is always next season. i LOVE the name trojan warrior.
stay tuned for the next installment of 'medical update'. the ball is rolling and it's getting faster and faster.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com