Galvanized Fuel tanks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TN75Tri-Cabin

Galvanized Fuel tanks

Post by TN75Tri-Cabin »

young new 75 Trojan tri-cabin owner getting her back together. I have 4 fuel tanks. I talked with bob today and he said that was an option on the 75 model. two main tanks and 2 reserve. found out today that they are all galvanized. There are no leaks and look clean from the outside but the mechanic said it looks like there is some evidence of rust of rust in the carbs. What should I do to preserve them as long as possible to save up for the big cost of replacing them. there is no smell of gas anywhere in the cabin area so I think I am good for a while just want to do what I can to get them cleaned out. I have been reading the forum for weeks and just became a member today. thanks for all and any help.
If you don't live the life you love you will never love life!!!
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Welcome aboard!... You've found the place for Trojan owners......As for gas tanks....if you smell gas it's too late!!! Since you don't smell gas you probably don't have any leaks yet. Let me emphasize.....if it leaks it's too late and very dangerous....at the least you should have a "sniffer"; a device that detects gas odors and sounds an alarm......tanks were replaced on my 1972 Sea Raider 6 years ago....might be a coating that would prolong the life but it's just a matter of time......

More people will provide input on this and might have some good suggestions.....again, welcome aboard.......John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Keeping water out would Be the #1 thing to do
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TN75Tri-Cabin

Thanks for the welcomeq

Post by TN75Tri-Cabin »

There is a sniffer alarm already mounted in the main cabin above the generator hatch so we are good there. I know from talking with bob the engines were replaced but dont know how long ago. Maybe they did coat them I at that point. any way I can tell?
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Thanks for the welcomeq

Post by Big D »

TN75Tri-Cabin wrote:....Maybe they did coat them I at that point. any way I can tell?
Welcome aboard. Pull a fuel filter and check contents. If you see discoloration and rust in there, the tanks haven't been done. John is right, but if you must wait, change fuel filters often. And test that sniffer to ensure it is actually working!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome aboard.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

You might want to get your hands on an fiber optic scope. it's a fiber optic type of gizmo that allows you to see into small places. Kinda like the things doctors stick in your ear but with a long extension. It might be that your tanks are fine and over the years you have picked up rust from the tanks from your supplier of fuel.

I don't know how long you can get them but I have seen mechanics look into cylinders and other engine parts that would otherwise be out of reach to view without full dis assembly. You mist have fuel sender access ports that would be the shortest route to the inside of the tanks and the gas inside should be clear enough to see through and the scopes I have seen have an led light built in.

It might be worth a shot and would put your mind at ease if the tanks are good or let you plan the repair if oyu do find rust.

Good Luck.

Here is a link to one I found on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/ProVision-PV100-F ... B00002255Q

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I have one I bought at good old Harbor Freight for pretty cheap, I think 40 or so dollars.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Unfortunately all you see if there's any gas in the tank is a reflection. The light from the borescope doesn't allow you to see anything. If it was completely empty it might help.

With borescopes, you need to get it close to whatever you're looking at and you can't really do that through the top of the tank because it's too tall.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Thanks for the welcomeq

Post by captainmaniac »

Big D wrote: And test that sniffer to ensure it is actually working!
DITTO... How many 37 year old electronic devices do you know of that still work perfectly and you would be willing to risk your life on?

I stopped using my fume sensor because I don't trust it anymore. I have also replaced VHF radios and depth sounders so that I know I am making my decisions based on reliable instruments.

Regardless of what your installed sniffer tells you, use the real sniffer before you start the engines - open the hatches and take a (human) sniff. Use the blower properly. If you want to run the sniffer while underway, if it does still work right, it can only help. Just don't assume everything is fine just because its alarm didn't go off.

You can check out the tanks several ways. If you have concerns, replace them. Better safe than sorry. Mine are not giving me any problems yet, but my boat is also a few years newer than yours (a '79).
TN75Tri-Cabin

Post by TN75Tri-Cabin »

Thanks for all the great info. I was down at the docks today crawling and looking around. for the waste tank. ended up having to pull ip the floor to locate it so I got a really good chance to inspect the tanks. (from the outside of course. the are the original with the manufacture date and stamps still on them. no leaking going on and defiantly no odors. I plan on just keeping my nose and eyes open. I will be down there quite a bit this and the following seasons I know getting her back to glory days. she is well maintained just pretty much all original good in some ways not in all.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

larryeddington wrote:I have one I bought at good old Harbor Freight for pretty cheap, I think 40 or so dollars.
Does that one work OK Larry? Sometimes Harbor Freight stuff isn't the best, and sometimes its OK ... Love to have one - and $40 is not a bad price.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17