Power Loss Port Engine

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

djmair

Power Loss Port Engine

Post by djmair »

I was so successful in getting the correct reason for the horn blowing problem I had I thought I would try again on another issue.

I am having a problem with my port engine. I go under load for about 3/4 on an hour at 2,800 rpms and almost to the exact location I lose power from the engine. The revs drop to idling speed and when I throttle down and then back up it powers up again for a short period and then drops again. After about 3 attempts at this it will not throttle up but it will maintain speed at around 1600 rpms. At dock after this happens I can throttle up slowly but any attempt to throttle quick results in sputtering and back firing.

I have had the following done.

new electronic ignitions
new fuel pump
new coil and resistor
compression check
new fuel filters
gas additives
a mechanic who has yet to fix the problem

1985 10 meter international twin 454's

Any thoughts??
Thanks for the info
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Fuel filter ? did you all check the one in the carb ? have you rechecked the others , may have trash in the tank . look at the check valve at the tank and also make sure the vent is not pluged
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

dj, Paul just outlined the easiest and most common fuel related items to check for these symptoms. Check them out, then get back to us with your findings.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Then there is always cracked intake and/or massive vacuum leak elsewhere. Just something to think about.

Then since you have a new distributor. Check, and recheck timing. Basic, Advance, etc.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

It does sound like it may be fuel related.
Also check the little screen and the end of the pickup tube attached to the fuel tank sending unit.
I had one of those drive me nuts for a few weeks on my 10 Meter. It would plug up from the debris at the bottom of the tank.
djmair

Post by djmair »

prowlersfish wrote:Fuel filter ? did you all check the one in the carb ? have you rechecked the others , may have trash in the tank . look at the check valve at the tank and also make sure the vent is not pluged
I have checked and replaced all filters including the small one into the carb. I am interested in the check valve and what exactly it does. I have seen reference to this in my manual but am not familiar with it. The starboard engine luckily runs like a gem and it is off the same gas tank, can I assume this valve monitors the flow to each engine?
Thanks for the info
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

it is called an anti-siphon valve and prevents fuel from siphoning into bilge if a lower fuel line should break. The fuel pump can draw fuel past it but not gravity. They can get sticky. It is a ball and light spring inside.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

larryeddington wrote:it is called an anti-siphon valve and prevents fuel from siphoning into bilge if a lower fuel line should break. The fuel pump can draw fuel past it but not gravity. They can get sticky. It is a ball and light spring inside.
Larry is correct. It is mounted on top of the tank, and looks like a regular fitting that the fuel line is fastened to.

You can eliminate the vessel's fuel system and tank by running the engine on a portable tank. Just be careful. Keep the tank on deck and ventilate. If the problem persists on the portable tank, it's at the engine end.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

Big D wrote:
larryeddington wrote:it is called an anti-siphon valve and prevents fuel from siphoning into bilge if a lower fuel line should break. The fuel pump can draw fuel past it but not gravity. They can get sticky. It is a ball and light spring inside.
Larry is correct. It is mounted on top of the tank, and looks like a regular fitting that the fuel line is fastened to.

You can eliminate the vessel's fuel system and tank by running the engine on a portable tank. Just be careful. Keep the tank on deck and ventilate. If the problem persists on the portable tank, it's at the engine end.
actually he states he is running both engines off the same tank so it is not a tank related problem

if you look here http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=6393

you will see I have the same problem and dj read this and try what I have done, my carb swap is going to happen this week and I will report back,, we are also contemplating as nothing else seems to work is perhaps the engine is too lean and the carb is icing. I know its a stretch but I am running out of options and some of the symtoms actually support this theory
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

rooferdave wrote:actually he states he is running both engines off the same tank so it is not a tank related problem

you will see I have the same problem and dj read this and try what I have done, my carb swap is going to happen this week and I will report back,, we are also contemplating as nothing else seems to work is perhaps the engine is too lean and the carb is icing. I know its a stretch but I am running out of options and some of the symtoms actually support this theory
Two engines one tank is still two anti siphon valves!

rooferdave... what you describe sounds just like a plugging anti siphon valve. Have you removed it from your tank and cleaned it and the pickup line with screen?

I had exactly what you and djmair described and it was crud plugging the pickup/siphon over time. Low speed engine ran fine.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I had a similar problem with my Stbd engine, then it just wouldn't start. When I removed the check valve and reinstalled the fuel line she ran like a champ!! I replaced both check valves and no probs since

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
djmair

Post by djmair »

rooferdave wrote:
Big D wrote:

actually he states he is running both engines off the same tank so it is not a tank related problem

I have looked at my tank and have 3 lines running from it. Port, starboard and generator. The fittings into the tank just look like regular over-sized nuts. Are the check valves inside these?
Thanks for the info
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

Can you swap the fuel lines from one pick up to the other? If you can and it is a check valve the other engine should now have the problem.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

The anti siphon valves I have are just a small brass fitting that has the check ball and spring inside. Actually I think they are modified fittings. It is possible you may not have the valves my 78 f28 did not but will before it gets wet. :)

Only one sure way to check disconnect the tank and see what is actually there.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
djmair

Post by djmair »

boatsnbars wrote:Can you swap the fuel lines from one pick up to the other? If you can and it is a check valve the other engine should now have the problem.
Can't swap, copper pipe. Kind of hard to get to but I am going to see if I can remove the port line.
Thanks for the info