odd engine start question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jefflaw35

odd engine start question

Post by jefflaw35 »

V8 chevy 327 or 350, shouldn't matter either way. Turn key and while its cranking up to ignite the fuel it starts heavy smoking out of the valve cover oil fill vent. All this in an instant of starting up a sup'ed up motor. Oil level is good, tranny is low, slips a little we aready know. Engine cold. How do you get smoke from the valves while cranking a motor at start up? seems like a serious problem to me.. Any input guys?
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Blow-by....Oil getting past rings, unvented crankcase...could be a host of things. What year? Let us know when you have more info. Is this out if a car?
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Stripermann2 wrote:Blow-by....Oil getting past rings, unvented crankcase...could be a host of things. What year? Let us know when you have more info. Is this out if a car?
Agreed
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Valve seats worn bad/not seating properly?
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

thanks guys, they all sound like good possible ideas. I was just worried when it started happening becuase its not mine, Claims its an early 80's 350. Im not sure if its possible to tell. Yea its in this 1933 ford model B I have here. moving it around in short spurts alot and this just started happening. Guess its nothing to worry about on my part. thanks for helping....
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

after a few chats today I am starting to think Allen Sr is right. Long sits and short runs, Valve is probly stuck. Im going to drive it around the hood soon as I can for an hour or so... Owner says no worries... thanks again
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Do a cylinder leak down test and you will know for sure if that is the problem.