jumping the ingition swich

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kevin babineau
Moderate User

jumping the ingition swich

Post by kevin babineau »

i have 360s with electronic ignition .. down on the engine anyone have an easy way to power the igintion? i dont know the electronics on a chrysler.. if i connect 12volts to the coil will that fire the system? i dont want to cook the ignition by just trying it...on mercs you pull the wiring harness plug and power the coil. i dont know if the 'brain' needs power to it instead... help?
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

http://www.allpar.com/fix/electronic-ignition.html

do i need to feed the ballast as shown here?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Per your diagram Power to ignition 1 for running power to ignition 2 ONLY when cranking
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

+1 Paul. Besides the obvious, what are you trying to do/diagnose?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

I did what the diagram said..what I wanted to do was control the ignition from down in the engine room without having to go turn the key on and off.. plus when I'm troubleshooting it eliminates any switches or wiring issues from the helm..this post is a carry over from my posts about the 360 swap...I got a tricabin and it running condition was unknown..so I have been going back enforth asking questions about the 360s and about swapping 454s into it.
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

THOUGHT the 360S you have were bad ??
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

If yours has the traditional chrysler module, I canl upload the wiring diagram which is chrysler to both helms from manual and you should be able to jumper or spliec into to do what you are trying to do. The engines have a plug that allows plugging the harness to the controls at rear of engine if is similiar to the 318s. There are only 6 or 8 wires going from engine, "if original".

I have to leave now but will upload this evening if you would like me to? let me know. 8)

Larry
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

Hmc..I assumed they were bad because they had green antifreeze in the cylinder..before I pulled I figured is run try to run them.. because they were seized ..I ran a cable right from the battery switch to the starter and clicked it.. finally it turned over.. I wanted to check for spark and control it at the engine..I'm familiar with mercy ..not so much Chrysler... I disconnected the plate on the motor that houses the starter solenoid to access the wires under it..I reconnect the battery wire I ran directly to to starter to the starter solenoid.. on that housing plate it has the electronic ignition module..under it there is my dual balaster. As per the diagram. Link I found the hot wire that feed the balaster and goes to the control module.. there was a spade connector in the harnees that went to it. I disconnected the plug and incerted a jumper to battery and it fired the coil. The starter solenoid has a that already goes to the coil as per the diagram..so I connected my homemade remote starter button to the battery side of the solenoid and to the yellow/red small pole..by connect and disconnecting the wire to the balaster I can turn on and off the engine by myself and at the engine.
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

Oh. I forgot. Hmc.. starboard ran surprising well.... Port still siezed.. I'm am 90 percent on doing the engine swap to the 454s.. if I had the money I would get a running 360. But unless I find one that's a deal the 454s are going in.