Port motor went bad!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jordan
Sporadic User

Port motor went bad!

Post by jordan »

My port motor started acting up, spitting oil out the breather and making an internal noise. Had the marina tech check it out and found number 4 cylinder has less than 30 psi! I'm thinking the best route is to order a long block and have the marina swap parts and install.
My question is this, has any one delt with Promar Marine Engines out of Paterson, New Jersey? They have Chrysler 318 counter rotation long blocks advertised for $ 2050.00 with free shipping.
Thanks, Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

2 grand plus or minus a few hundred seems reasonable enough. Don't know anything about the engine company other than the place they are located in is a pretty rough town. Check out Jasper, MichiganMotorz, and Marine Power.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

I wouldn't do Jasper, seen alot of them go back I've had two go back with less than 50k on them out of my FedEx Ground trucks. (350 small blocks)
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

alexander38 wrote:I wouldn't do Jasper, seen alot of them go back I've had two go back with less than 50k on them out of my FedEx Ground trucks. (350 small blocks)
+1 Jasper is junk IMO A friend of mine lost FedEx as an account do to Jasper's Junk. All over warranty labor. One of the biggest problems was the re-man on start up would pour oil out the rear main seal!
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am no fan of Jasper myself , But others swear by them and don't have problems ,

Your looking for a engine and going have the marina install it . I would look at what the marina has to offer for engines. That way if there is a problem they will take care of it . If you buy it and they install it and something happens you maybe out of luck . The engine may have a warranty but you may have to pay the labor again or part of it. Or the engine re-builder will blame on the install and you stuck . It may cost a little more but it may be worth it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I would not jump to any conclusions myself until you do a bit more testing to find out what is wrong.
A compression test is very vague at best.
Do a cylinder leak down test and find out exactly where the leaked compression is going.
You stated oil is coming out of the breather.... that could be as easy as a blown head gasket.
What do the plugs look like?
You may be right and the engine could be trashed but I would want to know for sure before I went replacing the entire thing.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

++++++ on cylinder leakdown test or also called a "blow down test" it will tell you where the issue is.

My old friend Harbor freight carries a reasonably priced cylinder leakage tester, everyone should have one that does any evaluation of engines. Even better than compression gauge, IMO
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Don't overlook the possibility of rebuilding your existing engine. That's the route I took last year and am very glad it did. Problem with reman'ed engine is yes, they have a warranty but often it is your expense to pull it and send it back and then re-install the new one.

Paul's right on. If you have the marina do the whole thing then they own it and are right there......huge advantage if you have any problems....John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Great advice everyone, that's why I love this forum! I will call the marina Monday morn and ask them to do a leak down test. Good thought on having the marina supply and install the engine because of the warranty issue. I didn't think of that. Even though I'm capable of winterizing my motors, I pay them to do it just for that reason, it freezes, they bought it.
Thanks everyone!
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Make sure they do a cylinder leakdown test. There a lot of mechanics that do not know what it is and rely solely on compression test which is will not tell you where the blowby or leakage is coming from, could be head gasket, valve seals, piston rings, pistons, head gasket or crack in head or block is possible. The cylinder leakage should allow a correct diagnosis. BTW I have two good 318 heads that I have not taken off a cracked engine. Am about to tote it to metal crusher, let me know if you want them or anyone else, normal cam shaft and lifter as well. Had about 900 hours and was running when I took it out of boat, due to block freezing.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted on the progress! Thanks for the offer Larry, it would be awesome if it was in the valve train or head gasket!
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan