OUCH !!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

In Ca each gallon includes .$35 tax. This is supposed to go to road maintance, I doubt any of it goes to marine waterway support. Aaron's correct about the drought stricken framers begging for corn for cattle feed.....our current gov mandates a certain annual production level of corn gas...... Talk about screwed up priorities..... Can't wait for November.....maybe we can make a change at the top.........one can hope....... John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Thanks Jimbo36, you add some some valuable things to consider......I have to think you are under a lot of regulations........but the corn deal still steams me...:).................John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

jimbo36 wrote:
Vitaliy wrote:I just personally think that its ridiculous that the price difference between "marine" and "conventional" gasoline is soo much in difference... there really isnt much difference except maybe fuel stabilizer which no way in hell costs that much more.
As a Marina operator, I may be able to shed some light on why there is a major differance. First of all, fuel handling on the water is strictly regulated with many requirements not associated with conventional refuelling facilities, mainly due to invironmental issues. In Canada the TSSA set out guidlines for safety regulations and equipment minimum requirements and provide stiff fines for those not following these regulations. This is in addition to other Government Agencys involvement. Complying is expensive. Here are a couple of reasons that most people may not think of.

1. ONLY trained personal are allowed to fuel boats. (in Canada) We have 10 fully trained staff working our fuel docks. Unlike pumping your own fuel at the gas station, we have wages to pay trained and experienced staff.
2. Marinas MUST have and maintain emergancy spill equipment which is expensive and is big part of staff training.
3. Annual inspections Must be carried out on tanks, pumps and equipment, costing several thousands of dollars, every season.
4. Fuel delivery to a
i understand the "extra" cost as well however for some reason im going to take new jersey and an example, you aren't legally allowed to pump your own gas, inspections are conducted every single year on all equipment and emergency kits are to be in place as well, i know these aren't marine grade or what not, however im sure the price is similar for regulation grade items.... i just think that its difference that's all.... and unfortunately i cant comment on the fuel tank removal, that's a bit out there for me, the price of fuel is still well below the national avarage... just saying... its more of a food for thought thing
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

jddens wrote:Thanks Jimbo36, you add some some valuable things to consider......I have to think you are under a lot of regulations........but the corn deal still steams me...:).................John
I hear you on the corn deal. Like many Government decisions they do not look at the big picture. Fortunately, at our Marinas we are able to provide ethanol free fuel to our boaters, but it also increases the cost. :(
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

Instead of gifting a lot of our grain away in the name of being a good neighbor Perhaps we buy our foreign oil with barrels of grain instead of dollars. That might level the playing fields a little. (Oil and growing fields that is)

Barry.
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

BarryL wrote:Instead of gifting a lot of our grain away in the name of being a good neighbor Perhaps we buy our foreign oil with barrels of grain instead of dollars. That might level the playing fields a little. (Oil and growing fields that is)

Barry.
HERE HERE!!! i totally agree.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Just some numbers for comparison : filled up yesterday at $1.56 per litre. A US gallon is 3.8 litres, so $5.93 / gallon. A CDN gallon is 4.5 litres, or $7.02. The fuelling station was readily accessible by road, and sat in a marina complex with almost 1000 slips (so they pump a lot of gas).

Got fuel later in the day from another marina, where the 'highly trained' 17 year old pumping the gas only overflowed one tank, and squirted fuel out of the pump nozzle on the other side before ever inserting the nozzle into the fuel full hole...

Lets call it what it is.... gas costs what it does because fuel companies can get away with it. And they can get away with it because governments get a percentage. If gas costs go up by 20%, government fuel tax revenues also go up by 20%, so what incentive does any government challenged with balancing a budget have to stand up for the common man? None.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

captainmaniac wrote:Just some numbers for comparison : filled up yesterday at $1.56 per litre. A US gallon is 3.8 litres, so $5.93 / gallon. A CDN gallon is 4.5 litres, or $7.02. The fuelling station was readily accessible by road, and sat in a marina complex with almost 1000 slips (so they pump a lot of gas).

Got fuel later in the day from another marina, where the 'highly trained' 17 year old pumping the gas only overflowed one tank, and squirted fuel out of the pump nozzle on the other side before ever inserting the nozzle into the fuel full hole...

Lets call it what it is.... gas costs what it does because fuel companies can get away with it. And they can get away with it because governments get a percentage. If gas costs go up by 20%, government fuel tax revenues also go up by 20%, so what incentive does any government challenged with balancing a budget have to stand up for the common man? None.
i could not agree more. we are gripped by the short hairs every way from sunday. when i was at eastern airlines---yeah, my career goes back that far---we had a saying every time management came to labour with their hat out. we called it B O H I C A (pronounced BEAU-HEE-KA). it stands for BEND OVER, HERE IT COMES AGAIN !
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com