OUCH !!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jddens
Moderate User

OUCH !!

Post by jddens »

Had a great trip on "Time Warp" yesterday. Midweek, very few boats on the water and great weather, boat running perfectly!.......... Took a nice cruise to lunch then stopped at the fuel dock on the way back. My boat is much smaller than many here and only has 100 gallon gas capacity. I had intentionally run her down to about 1/4 tanks to burn the old fuel prior to filling......paid $4.72 for 75 gallons......total just over $350 !! Prices will be well above $5.00 by Labor Day. I can only imagine the pain many of you must feel when filling up. Now that she's full I will go back to hauling 5 gallon cans and keep her topped off........fuel prices here are rocketing as a "supposed" result of the Chevron refinery fire. Funny how prices can go up overnight and then take months to trickle back down and never get back to where they were. And they say demand for gas is down..........fuel costs will definitely have an impact on my boating this year...........John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

and let's not forget the price of corn has risen too w/ the drought. like i've said before, food crops should never be used for anything else but food. not fuel additives. i heard a petroleum guy yesterday on npr say that the scarcity of corn can add as much as 22.5% to the cost of fuel. yeah, that was a GREAT :twisted: IDEA!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Todays paper the farmers that use corn for feed are begging the govt to cut back on amount of alcohol produced, I would be very surprised to see that happen. :cry:
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Shell doesn't even use Corn - they use ethanol from Brazilian cane sugar.

Great plan - the gas companies keep spanking us.

Oh well - filed up the 18 with good old E-Free yesterday. Not sure what it cost - I don't look any more.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Figures as they are Royal Dutch Shell, not a US company
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

+1 to Larry, did I do the correct spelling of (to)????
gopher

Post by gopher »

Hey.. up here in Canada, premium is running about $6/gal at the
corner gas station...
... and we're an oil exporting nation.. well, at least till China buys up all the oil sands and ships it themselves back home..
Greg
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

I just personally think that its ridiculous that the price difference between "marine" and "conventional" gasoline is soo much in difference... there really isnt much difference except maybe fuel stabilizer which no way in hell costs that much more.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I think the premium at a marina for the same blend is the result of insurance.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

Same her in Germany: 4.64 USD per gallon.

26.5 gallons (100 Liter) 214.0 USD (174 EUR).
Filled up the tanks for 737,34 USD (600 EUR) :shock:
--
Greetings - Heiner
Last edited by EM63 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antlr-king
Sporadic User

Post by antlr-king »

here in fl i just paid 4.40 a gal for 89 enthanol free marina fuel. 105 gal tank. this sucks...i used to go out way more often than i do now.
1979 30' trojan express
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

insurance or not i still think that its ridiculous that marine fuel is $1.00+ per gallon premium on regular gas even thou most people buying marine grade buy in bulk..... compared to automotive... but its one of those things i cant do a dam thing about so ill just biach about it lol...
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

Some statement about found in Financial Times:

http://tinyurl.com/c9dvwqe
--
Greetings Heiner
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Vitaliy wrote:I just personally think that its ridiculous that the price difference between "marine" and "conventional" gasoline is soo much in difference... there really isnt much difference except maybe fuel stabilizer which no way in hell costs that much more.
As a Marina operator, I may be able to shed some light on why there is a major differance. First of all, fuel handling on the water is strictly regulated with many requirements not associated with conventional refuelling facilities, mainly due to invironmental issues. In Canada the TSSA set out guidlines for safety regulations and equipment minimum requirements and provide stiff fines for those not following these regulations. This is in addition to other Government Agencys involvement. Complying is expensive. Here are a couple of reasons that most people may not think of.

1. ONLY trained personal are allowed to fuel boats. (in Canada) We have 10 fully trained staff working our fuel docks. Unlike pumping your own fuel at the gas station, we have wages to pay trained and experienced staff.
2. Marinas MUST have and maintain emergancy spill equipment which is expensive and is big part of staff training.
3. Annual inspections Must be carried out on tanks, pumps and equipment, costing several thousands of dollars, every season.
4. Fuel delivery to a Marina, usually off the main roads, on islands, etc. increases costs.
We are required to replace our tanks, due to age, for next season. Our cost to install new above ground tanks is 150K. :shock:

Fuel stabilizer?? :? :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

#4 is a lot of it for sure , added to the fact most marinas can not take a full tanker load .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D