Odd Electrical Issue - Crusader 350's (454cid)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Natchamp
Sporadic User

Odd Electrical Issue - Crusader 350's (454cid)

Post by Natchamp »

Gents,

I have an issue that I can't figure out so I'm trying to see if you guys have any ideas or have come across this before.

Application: Twin Crusader 454's, @ 3 hours run time after major work done including rebuilt alternators.

Symptom: Some times when running the engines, both voltage gauges read low voltage @ 11v. Normally, they show @ 13 which is good. The problem does not always occur. Shutting down the engines and firing them back up has no effect. However, I can come back the next day or later in the afternoon, start them up and they will read the normal 13v.

The chances of both alternators failing at the same time are pretty slim, not to mention they will come back to normal after a while. I haven't had it running long enough to isolate the exact situation/scenario that is repeatable that causes the problem. But right now I'm at a loss as to where to start looking/checking.

Any ideas?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

At what RPMs? I have Chrysler 360s, and I find that at low RPMs I am usually showing 10-11V at the panel. Once I get the RPMs up a bit, the voltage regulators kick in and the gauge shows the expected 12.5-13V.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

One some alt. you need to rev up the engine to get them to charge . If you start and idel them they may not charge.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Natchamp
Sporadic User

Post by Natchamp »

Thanks guys, I'll verify at what rpm and rev it up and put some load on them to see if it helps. Thanks!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

isnt he on the hard? wouldnt a load make a difference? shouldnt this boat have chargers and systems to keep up battery power? Would the guages only show low reading after hours of failure. Not the next day like its an over heating issue? Arnt there resources in these boats to prevent this un less its just a wiring or gauge failure? This is just a question, not a thought by any means.....could both gauges be powered by the same line, one fails and the other has same reaction?
Natchamp
Sporadic User

Post by Natchamp »

FYI, I'm in the water now. Launched it last Thursday, just haven't had a chance to take some pics and post. It looks absolutely purdy in the water, report coming soon.

The gauges are wired separately, one for each motor.

Since you mentioned it, here's a sneak peek of the launch. cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3H7SwDELNk
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

Mark,

she looks outstanding. I bet you will never get tired of the compliments you are sure to get.

Take pride in all of your hard work and keep us updated. I'm sure you will have some sorting to do with some nuisance issues after all of the work you have done but that is half of the fun of owning a boat.

If you thought the refurb was expensive just wait till you make a few trips to the fuel docks.

B.O.A.T Bring Out Another Thousand. or as I like to all em.

boat- A vessel propelled through the water by the rapid and constant combustion of cash (Power boat) or by the constant pressure of accumulating debt (Sailboat)

Enjoy the work you have done and the countless days of pleasure she will bring you and your family.

And don't forget to keep your new extended family up to date with more pictures and more "how to" articles/columns posted on this great site.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

Driscolls Mission Bay Marina, I think. Good luck with your new boat, sure looks new anyway.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

What about a voltage regulator? Seem that could be causing the issue......John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Next time this happens; with engines running, take a volt meter and check the reading at each battery, then check the reading at each volt gage. If the reading is 11v at the battery, there is an issue with charging. If reading at battery is above 13v but 1v1 at gage, there is a voltage drop somewhere in the circuit; bad/corroded wire or connection in the + or - side of the circuit. Could be anywhere from battery to helm, don't forget the engine harness connection. If 13v behind gage but gage only showing 11v, gages are faulty.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
sluggo
Sporadic User

Re: Odd Electrical Issue - Crusader 350's (454cid)

Post by sluggo »

Natchamp wrote:Gents,

I have an issue that I can't figure out so I'm trying to see if you guys have any ideas or have come across this before.

Application: Twin Crusader 454's, @ 3 hours run time after major work done including rebuilt alternators.

Symptom: Some times when running the engines, both voltage gauges read low voltage @ 11v. Normally, they show @ 13 which is good. The problem does not always occur. Shutting down the engines and firing them back up has no effect. However, I can come back the next day or later in the afternoon, start them up and they will read the normal 13v.

The chances of both alternators failing at the same time are pretty slim, not to mention they will come back to normal after a while. I haven't had it running long enough to isolate the exact situation/scenario that is repeatable that causes the problem. But right now I'm at a loss as to where to start looking/checking.

Any ideas?
I had a smiliar issue, I tapped on the gauge and then it read fine, worth a try.
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river