Fake Teak

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Vitaliy
Moderate User

Fake Teak

Post by Vitaliy »

i was browsing around and randomly stumbled onto this....

has any one tried using this stuff with any good results??

PlasDeck and Nuteak
http://www.plasteak.com/marine-teak-dec ... y-material

i was thinking of replacing the teak on my back deck since its beyong salvage for the most part... was just wondering if this is actually any good....

thanks
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I just use the teak and holly on the floor in the head , looks great .
this what I used

http://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recycl ... tin-finish
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Good sites for the library guys. There is a lot on this out there
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I looked at this stuff at the boat show over the last 2 years. I was considering putting this in my Pursuit.

My observations with this stuff-
-looks just like teak
-moisture resistant
-chemical resistant
-does not become slippery when wet
-Stain resistant

If you do manage to stain it, scuff it with 36 grit sand paper in the direction of the "grain" and all will become good with the world again.

From what I know about this stuff, its damn near bomb proof, but it is not structural. It needs a solid based floor to lay/adhere on.

I plan on installing it in the F-32

Tom
Jerry
Moderate User

Re: Fake Teak

Post by Jerry »

Vitaliy wrote:i was browsing around and randomly stumbled onto this....

PlasDeck and Nuteak

i was thinking of replacing the teak on my back deck since its beyong salvage for the most part... was just wondering if this is actually any good....

thanks
I did use it years ago when it first came out as a friend wanted it on his fiberglass swim platform.
It came out very nice and has held up well but the major draw back for him is how hot it gets in the sun. He says that you can't even walk on it in bare feet it is that hot.
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Jerry wrote:

PlasDeck and Nuteak

thanks
I did use it years ago when it first came out as a friend wanted it on his fiberglass swim platform.
It came out very nice and has held up well but the major draw back for him is how hot it gets in the sun. He says that you can't even walk on it in bare feet it is that hot.

True, but so is real teak.
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

ok so from what i gather its fairly good and inexpensive alternative to real teak...

i have a bit of soft spots on the back deck of my tri, and the teak (original) isnt going to come off without breaking for me to replace the plywood that supports it.... so i now im seriously considering using PlasDeck..., and honestly at $40 SQ'F it doesn't sound that bad, considering you can get it precut to a template and its already treated and "varnished"
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

jimbo36 wrote:
Jerry wrote:

PlasDeck and Nuteak

thanks

True, but so is real teak.
Just for the heck of it, at lunch today I went down to the club with my infrared temp gun and shot the fake teak platform and a real teak platform that was on the next boat over.
My car read 81 degrees on the way down. Both platforms were in direct sun but the sun does not feel real intense today.
The real teak read 93 degrees.
The not so real teak read 117 degrees .
I will have to try it again when it gets really hot out. I guess I see what he was talking about now.
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

you cant possibly think that synthetic wood (fairly much plastic) will have the same characteristics as real wood...

the real question is how good is this stuff in a practical outdoor environment... lets say i do buy it, and install it on my aft deck... will it actually look like real wood and behave in a manner thats expected out of a marine deck... such as scuffs or what not....
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Vitaliy wrote:ok so from what i gather its fairly good and inexpensive alternative to real teak...

i have a bit of soft spots on the back deck of my tri, and the teak (original) isnt going to come off without breaking for me to replace the plywood that supports it.... so i now im seriously considering using PlasDeck..., and honestly at $40 SQ'F it doesn't sound that bad, considering you can get it precut to a template and its already treated and "varnished"
Not sure if it would be that much cheaper. Particularly if you want it installed with bends and curves. :(
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

jimbo36 wrote:
Vitaliy wrote:ok so from what i gather its fairly good and inexpensive alternative to real teak...

Not sure if it would be that much cheaper. Particularly if you want it installed with bends and curves. :(
well after using the calculator for flexteak it comes out to about $1000 for a 5 square meter area including the adhesive for DIY installation... after calling a few lumber yards for teak about the same for actual wood would run me about 1500+ not including all the prep work
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

the fake teak will burn the hell out of your feet. and i'm not just talking hot. i'm talking 1st degree burn, nerve ending hot against your bare feet.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

I know this may be out there but this is what I am using on the rear deck of my 36 trifly, currently I am using a similer product untill I am ready for the final install... http://www.duradeknorthwest.com/LearnDu ... radek.html

it is non slip, waterproof and comes on a variety of colours, it is used for decks on cottage roofs up north here in ontario for over 20 years, I think the cost is 5-10 dollars per square ft so for my boat it is about 300 dollars all in
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

rooferdave wrote:I know this may be out there but this is what I am using on the rear deck of my 36 trifly, currently I am using a similer product untill I am ready for the final install... http://www.duradeknorthwest.com/LearnDu ... radek.html

it is non slip, waterproof and comes on a variety of colours, it is used for decks on cottage roofs up north here in ontario for over 20 years, I think the cost is 5-10 dollars per square ft so for my boat it is about 300 dollars all in
the question is how hard is it to install and how well does it stand up to the marine environment
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

actually it is pretty simple to install, the biggest hurdle is to fill and sand all the seams/ knots so they do not telegraph through the membrane. After that it is as simple as applying contact cement to the bottom of the membrane and the wood, let dry and then lay it in place. As to how it holds up it is made for decks and high foot traffic, it will hold very well in a marine enviroment
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!