FROM AARON, I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS......

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

FROM AARON, I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS......

Post by aaronbocknek »

hey gang, i had a nice, although short, afternoon at the boat yard. i finished cleaning off the engine/a/s/genset intakes of paint. while i was under the boat, i noticed two things. this is a transponder plate, i think, and not sure if its functioning. anyway, should i request that the paint be removed from this? also, the hydrodynamic transponder contains a small spinning wheel, i believe, it's my transponder for my garmin unit. this unit lets me know what the water temp is and is a sonar sensor for the actual structure of the river bottom. any advice would be appreciated.

hydrodynamic w/ spinner.......

flat transponder plate.... i think.

is this blistering?

a hatteras sedan is next to me and i believe is getting soda blasted. all over the vessels bottom and hull side are these little indented pock marks. not just in one location, it's from the top of the waterline all the way to the keel. so, is this blistering? and, if so, how is this even repaired.

(and yes, even when it's cloudy and overcast, the tri cabin sparkles!!! )

thanks.
aaron...

HATTERAS WATERLINE.....

1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

The first transducer (with the spinning wheel) is probably speed and possibly (as you say) temp. The second (flat plate) one is probably a depth transducer. Depth transducers should not be painted (the edges can be, but the main transducer surface should not be). The speed/temp transducer can be painted as long as it doesn't interfere with operation.

Re the blistering - hard to tell with the low res pictures. Could be some blisters that were popped with the blasting, or blasting might just have been done poorly and gel damaged. Make sure your blasting is being done by someone who knows how to blast a boat... Far too many people hire goonies that normally blast brick or metal to do their boats, but the approach and materials used for brick and metal are far too aggressive for gelcoat and can end up doing more damage than good.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Some people paint the transducers some don't . they say not to paint in many cases and work better for a while but growth will happen quickly . I paint mine with a water base paint ( hydrocoat bottom paint) I don't have any issues

Why are you removing the paint from the Thu hulls ? You don't want to plug them up with paint but they still need paint .

That hull looks like a normal blasting job . and you see why the need to barrier coat after there blasted .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:Some people paint the transducers some don't . they say not to paint in many cases and work better for a while but growth will happen quickly . I paint mine with a water base paint ( hydrocoat bottom paint) I don't have any issues

Why are you removing the paint from the Thu hulls ? You don't want to plug them up with paint but they still need paint .

That hull looks like a normal blasting job . and you see why the need to barrier coat after there blasted .
this is why i should leave well enough alone when posting in the evening. my evening meds were kicking my butt and i guess i was not being very clear in my explanation. i'll speak w/ ryan this morning regarding the painted over transducer (flat plate). i don't remember if it was painted or not. either way, will it still 'read' depth or will i have to get the paint removed?

ENGINE/GENSET THRU HULLS--- sorry, was not clear on this one either. the small holes for the genset pickup (it's round and has about 20-30 holes in it) was completely painted shut. not one hole was clear of paint. it looked like the depth transducer. so, i just took a small pick and dug out the paint (not fun or easy in my present condition) then followed up with a drill bit in my hand and slowly 'dug out' the remaining paint. the engine and a/c scoop/strainers were equally clogged. out of the 5 slits, two were open on the starboard side, none (as in completely painted shut) on the a/c scoop strainer and one for the starboard engine.

i took a small putty knife and dug out the paint and once all the holes were open for the THF's, i sprayed a light coat of zinc coat over the exposed metal. i might ask ryan to give me some bottom paint and i'll go over it with a light coat of bottom paint using a brush for detailing.

i think i know what happened. ryan, as busy as he has been playing catch up, 'outsourced' the bottom paint job to two of his yard workers. they just slapped the paint on a roller and went to town. i ran into these two characters last week, and, well, my communication to them was not fully understood. actually, none of it was understood. i could have used a 'universal translator'.

while i have your attention, the transom zinc is slightly pitted but not fully eaten through. do you guys suggest that this too be replaced or will it be okay for another year?

thanks guys for your understanding.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

The little wheel is definitely for speed, I have a through the hull to install from Airmar, #744 and it has one also which you might want to look at. I can take the ducer out in the water the airmar through the hull has a flap valve device that blocks the water just temporarioly when inserting a new or cleaned ducer.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

You can never have too many "Zinc"s on the boat. The Zincs act as sacrificial metal and keep electrolysis from eating up your running gear and other thru hull fittings. Keeping a boat in a marina with all of the shore power and stray current in the water creates a battery and the zincs are the softest metal which are intended to get eaten first. They are cheap in comparison to the thru hull fittings and are a maintenance item which we should all keep up on.
Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

i replace mine every time i haul the boat, doesnt cost much and u cant ever be to safe
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Vitaliy wrote:i replace mine every time i haul the boat, doesnt cost much and u cant ever be to safe
done. found out why it was not changed with the rest. the boat yard had run out of the diver zincs and they are getting a shipment this afternoon.
i too always change them out with a haul out. be it mid season or in the spring. every time.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com