Port shaft strut feedback

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jaahmez@hotmail.com

Port shaft strut feedback

Post by jaahmez@hotmail.com »

Could i get some feedback on this please?

The port shaft engaged at idle gives a sound of what seems to me sounds like a bad bearing right where the strut is. Kind of like the sound of a well oiled drill bit going into steel, not super squeaky, but very similar to me. Gone after idle, no visible vibration in the shaft, slight in the motor between 2300 and 3000, gone after that all the way to full song.

I just launched last week and checked everything prior to. Any thoughts on what could I have missed? 1984 11M Express, twin 350 Crusaders

Thanks as always

James
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

James, if it's right at the strut it could be a Culass Bearing starting to go??
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
jaahmez@hotmail.com

Lawman,

It is, I can stand right over the strut on the deck and it's most pronounced there, same if I lean over the freeboard portside at the same location. Are they a PIA to swap out, have you or anyone ever done one?

Thanks for responding

James
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Have'nt done mine yet (but it's due), There is a special tool that allows you to remove the bearing while the shaft is still in but you'll have to pull the boat out in order to do it.
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I had to replace one once that would ''sing'' pretty good and was driving the owner nuts.
There was not any appreciable play in the shaft either.
Once the bearing was out the only thing that I did notice is that the rubber seemed hard as a rock.
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Post by davidsmith »

Had a buddys Silverton do the exact same thing. we replaced the bearing and the noise is gone. His was hard also and no play.
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
jaahmez@hotmail.com

Hey and thanks for the feedback.
Could be time to track down some dive gear and a StrutPro.

James
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would not even think about doing it in the water .

Did you by chance use prop speed ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I wouldn't do it in the water either, been there done that, never again! Before hauling out, check engine/shaft alignment between tranny flange and shaft coupler. Get it right at that location first then sea trial. If it still happens, then go through the expense of a haul out. Personally I don't screw around anymore with pulling the bearing with the shaft in place. Given that bearings are typically in place for years before replacing, this is the perfect time to remove the shaft, send it in to be dialed, and prop to be tuned unless you know they have been done recently. That way, you eliminate all sources of vibration at once so you don't have to wonder why you're still getting a vibration after a new bearing install only to find out the prop or shaft were slightly off, and having to go through it all over again.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Big D wrote:I wouldn't do it in the water either, been there done that, never again! Before hauling out, check engine/shaft alignment between tranny flange and shaft coupler. Get it right at that location first then sea trial. If it still happens, then go through the expense of a haul out. Personally I don't screw around anymore with pulling the bearing with the shaft in place. Given that bearings are typically in place for years before replacing, this is the perfect time to remove the shaft, send it in to be dialed, and prop to be tuned unless you know they have been done recently. That way, you eliminate all sources of vibration at once so you don't have to wonder why you're still getting a vibration after a new bearing install only to find out the prop or shaft were slightly off, and having to go through it all over again.
i second the motion. short haul, swap out bearing after checking alignment and you're good to go. but, remember, the alignment MUST be done in the water as the boat 'sits' different in than out.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
jaahmez@hotmail.com

Thanks all for the excellent feedback.
As it's listed for sale (here too), I'll cross the bridge of replacement/alignment when it goes to survey.