How Much Paint to paint a 10 meter hull?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I spoke with the guy whose was going to spray my final coat and ordered more awlgrip. Going with two kits of 545 primer (4 gallons plus reducer).
one kit of cloud white (2 gallons plus reducer)for topsides above the rubrail and cockpit and one kit of Ice Blue for the hullsides (2 gallons plus reducer). I think I may be alittle short on the cloud white but since im going to roll the nonskid after the spraying is done I can always order more.
The painter offered to spray the 545 primer for me and come back after i sand. I accepted his offer!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Recently painted F-32. Black and White Imron (single stage) over gray epoxy primer. 2 gallons of black, 3 gallons of white. Imron sprays nice, sticks like peanut butter (no runs), and shines like it's clearcoated. If you buy a brand new Hatteras today, it's painted with Imron. They paint'em now, instead of trying to make gelcoat perfect.

1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I love that black hull. I wanted to go with flag blue but wasn't brave enough to try a dark color. Even though I'm prepping the heck out of it I was afraid I would see every imperfection. Your boat looks great. Is it an illusion or is your bow a different shade?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
~DarkNemesis~

Post by ~DarkNemesis~ »

What a beautiful boat and background. My husband and I are also interested in changing our F-28 to a darker color. He says its to hard but I still think you have a very nice looking boat! Thank you for the pictures...
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Thank you very much. The bow is sprayed with a Rhino-lining material, which acts as an anchor guard.
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

How has the Rhino Liner been holding up for you? I only ask because my company actually sprays polyurea coatings which are similar to Rhino and linex. I have applied the coating to decks and cockpits but have been alittle leary to apply it anywhere below the waterline on a fiberglass boat. Was concerned about adhesion and marine growth. Did you get bottom paint to stick to it?

It looks pretty cool with the black on black!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

The anchor guard stops above the waterline. Looks fantastic. Holds up well, and when the anchor does hit hard enough to chip it, I just put a dab of black 5200 in the chip, and the chip is gone.

The product I used is Raptor brand (I think made by U-Pol, available in autobody supply stores. I used the factory black for the anchor guard, and used the tintable version for the deck and cockpit horizontal surfaces.

I would test your product before using it below the water line. Maybe spray a test panel, and hang it over a dock for a year. Some polyurethanes are not submersible.
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

~DarkNemesis~ wrote:What a beautiful boat and background. My husband and I are also interested in changing our F-28 to a darker color. He says its to hard but I still think you have a very nice looking boat! Thank you for the pictures...
How's that crab grass problem you have, coming along...?
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Where'd our new lady friend go...?
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

~DarkNemesis~ wrote:What a beautiful boat and background. My husband and I are also interested in changing our F-28 to a darker color. He says its to hard but I still think you have a very nice looking boat! Thank you for the pictures...
would LOOK SHARP in dark blue is your a single or twin engine ? i love d f28 nice lookn boats
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!