Isaac

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

Here ya go Todd

Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
BarryL
Sporadic User

Side bolster recover tip

Post by BarryL »

I have a 10 meter Mid cabin and replaced the side bolster material and made new seats for the stern. I am not a fisherman so floor space was less important to me than lounge space.

I did all of the work myself for less than $500.00 if you are interested in some pictures I'd be glad to pass some along with a few pointers on how to get it done without breaking the bank and having it look like new.

The readers digest version is this- I removed all of the side combing bolsters and checked for any rotted wood. Luckily I had none just some awful looking faded tri-color vinyl. I covered the vinyl whit 3/4 inch thick foam and attached with "Monel" staples. (They don't rust) Then I used Solid white vinyl with a slight grain in it to recover all of the pieces. It didn't look finished so I got the idea to buy 100 feet of plastic tubing normally used for ice make line at home. I then cut long strips of Tan vinyl and stapled one edge of it to the back of the bolsters. Then I laid the plastic tubing along the strip and closed the vinyl over is so it looks like factory piping. The added bonus is that the piping will never rot. I live northwest of Chicago so the boat doesn't get sun year round but it has held up great for the last two seasons and people are always commenting about how nice it looks. I made sure to wrap the ends almost like a gift box and also made sure that the wrapped parts would drain out rather than retain water.

I bought all of the material at Joanne fabrics but hunted down a 50% off coupon on line before making the first big purchase. I have enough material left over to do it again or even re-cover the standard front seats and the rear corner seat that faces the wet bar/fridge unit.

Di I mention I love this boat for the cockpit space?

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

I'd love to see some pics of what you did.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks for the pics Tom. I like your helm seats a lot. I like the look of the thin bolster accross the stern. not real big on the wide bolsters like I currently have.
Id love to see yours Barry, I'm trying to come up with some ideas.

Thanks
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

How are you making out with the storm?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

I thought it was gone yesterday afternoon. After it passed Key West we got it. Last night was nasty. I was out at 6:15 this morning and it was really blowing. It was a very nasty windy and rainy day.

Kids were out of school as they cancelled it. It was a good day to be in the office.

It seems to be settling down. There is a damp spot in my mid cabin ceiling but considering the volume of rain and with my top off that's not too bad.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

tsawyer wrote:I thought it was gone yesterday afternoon. After it passed Key West we got it. Last night was nasty. I was out at 6:15 this morning and it was really blowing. It was a very nasty windy and rainy day.

Kids were out of school as they cancelled it. It was a good day to be in the office.

It seems to be settling down. There is a damp spot in my mid cabin ceiling but considering the volume of rain and with my top off that's not too bad.
are you Tom Sawyer the dart player by chance?
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

Not a darts player.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida