Isaac

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tsawyer
Sporadic User

Isaac

Post by tsawyer »

So it's looking like this storm is going to get a little close. So far it appears we may avoid the hurricane force winds, but very likely will have winds into the 50s with gusts a bit higher.

I'm wondering whether I should remove my top and windows. Do you think I should take them off or will it be ok? If we were getting hurricane force winds I would definitely take them down.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

We are just north of Tampa on the Gulf and hoping for the best. I have seen these storms skirt up the coast and cause a lot of problems so we will prepare accordingly. At our marina most people seem to be removing canvas and bimini's, etc and securing everything as best they can. This is the first time we have not had a boat in the water to contend with and our main concern is coastal flooding at this point.

They have already declared our county (pasco) a state of emergency, mostly due to severe low lying areas flooding from Debbie. Hopefully we do not get evacuated because we are on the Gulf and we are usually the first to be told to leave. Our boat is on the trailer at the mechanic's yard awaiting motor installation next week (hopefully) so I will just check it and make sure its not parked under trees, etc. and I will remove my canvas so Issac doesn't do it for me! Never underestimate these storms this time of the year, they can be unpredictable and cause a lot of destruction!
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would remove it , btw Most insurance won't cover canvas or has a higher deductable for a "Named storm "
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

That stuff is expensive and I know it's not covered by insurance.

Done.

Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Good choice, better to prepare for the worse, rather than wish you had.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Just want to say, beautiful 10 Meter !!
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
myakka

Post by myakka »

We are North of Ft Myers and South of Sarasota. I spent all day helping neighbors secure their boats and property. Tomorrow, after the morning forecast, I'll secure the house and boats. I have a golf cart out on Little Gasparilla Island that I assume will be destroyed with the estimated 7 ft storm surge.
Squall sailing dingy
18 outrage(Sold)
25 Trojan(still own, until current user finishes paying me)
Dauntless 220
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

myakka wrote:We are North of Ft Myers and South of Sarasota. I spent all day helping neighbors secure their boats and property. Tomorrow, after the morning forecast, I'll secure the house and boats. I have a golf cart out on Little Gasparilla Island that I assume will be destroyed with the estimated 7 ft storm surge.
wow. 7'? is that what the prediction is? i thought this was supposed to be a 'little storm' of no big deal? did it change direction or strengthen?
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

Jut seen on the weather channel that the storm is now coming our way. (Pensacola) I have hauled the boat but the canvas is still on. I just hate the idea of removing it. I have a helm cover that I will leave on. Will wait until this afternoon to decide. Storm surge is still fresh in our minds (IVAN)
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Better safe than sorry. :cry:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

It's been a fairly quiet day. According to the news there was a gust recorded here of 60, but I don't recall it.

I'm glad I took the canvas down. I'll give it a good cleaning before I put it back up.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
myakka

Post by myakka »

No kidding. The low pulling this thing in caused more problems than the storm it self.
Squall sailing dingy
18 outrage(Sold)
25 Trojan(still own, until current user finishes paying me)
Dauntless 220
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Glad your making out ok. I was in the water for huricane Floyd years ago. I had just bought my 10 meter. 13+ft storm surge! I had my old canvas on and was so scared of the power going out and batteries dying I used gorilla tape to seal the canvas to the fiberglass and stiched the the windows in with 30lb fishing line! (I was getting ready to replace the canvas at the time anyway).
Would it be possible to get a few pictures of your helm seats and coaming bolsters after the Lovely weather your having passes? I'm getting ready to redo mine and really like how yours are done. I cant figure how to zoom in on the picures above. I would love to have a good picture to show the upolstry shop.
Thanks and good luck with the storm.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

I only redid the top and windows. My combing is shot, looks awful and is on my list to replace. The helm seats are ok, but could be redone. The seats along the back need rebuilt and new cushions.

The first estimate I got to do everything was almost as much as I paid for the boat.

I had an estimate to do the combing (7 pieces) and it was about $2500.

I can take some pics if you want, but they need to be redone.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

The dont look bad in that pic. not sure if im using the correct terms but I like the layout of the stiching on the seats. has a clean straight forward look to the as do the bolsters. mine currently are a hodge podge of colors and I dont like the pattern with the colored inset. are your bolsters two "wrapped" pieces of foam or is it a piping strip?

Trying to get rid of this and go for a cleaner more modern look.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console