Hart's Desire made it home

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Hart
Sporadic User
Location: Either at home on Wixom Lake or on the Big Pond in Manistee.

Hart's Desire made it home

Post by Hart »

Well, after a two-day delay last week, me, brother Aaron and my good friend Captain Jamie Sprague finally took the ferry over from Muskegon to Milwaukee last Friday, met up with the broker, and laid our eyes on the prize (so to speak) in Racine. Aside from some minor bugs one would expect from a 33 year-old boat, we closed the deal and made off for Sheboygan. We made Port Washington after about 3 hours and decided to stay there the night and top off with the cheapest gas in Wisconsin (though after paying the man at the gas dock, the word "cheap" was conspicuous by its absence). We had an agreeable meal at one of the charming town's nice eating establishments and called it a night shortly thereafter (though the live music, fanfare and revelry going on on the other side of the marina courtesy of some in-town regatta had us seriously considering burning the midnight oil.) Good thing we didn't, because 4:30 a.m. heard the sail cables start ringing against the masts - a bad sign for a couple guys looking to head northeast, which happened to be the predominant wind direction. Which happened to be the worst wind direction we could have had. Jamie told me that they see a northeast wind MAYBE three times a year in Manistee, so it certainly figures that the forces that caused our earlier delay were more than happy to laugh, literally - in our faces - once again.

With the ominous sail masts clanging in the background, we set out at 6:30 a.m. hoping to make a northeast beeline across Lake Michigan to Manistee, but once outside the breakwall, it was clear we had some thinking to do -the beeline was now definitely out of the question. Waves were 3-5 feet on a short chop (after a 1-3 foot forecast that held out for two days prior to departure) and winds were about 20-25 knots. We slowly bounced, bumped and crept our way north to Sheboygan, about two hours up the Wisconsin coast. We got fairly wet up on the bridge, and it was really nice to have that lower helm - and three fully functioning windshield wipers!

With the sun now up and shining nicely on downtown Sheboygan, it was either put into port and wait out the weather - which could have been a matter of 2-4 days - or take a hard right and head east to at least keep our nose off the wind and give the weatherman a second chance and hopefully get the boat home by Labor Day.

Turns out we made the right call, as the seas started to let up a bit after about an hour and a half. We held the nose down and plowed through a short, 3-foot chop with an occasional 4 tossed in just for kicks, and it only got better once we hit the midpoint of the lake. While ALL the Wisconsin folk we encountered were all very nice, their water wasn't quite as welcoming to us last Saturday morning. After starting out at 6:30 a.m, we pulled into Manistee around 1:15 p.m with the families waiting and waving on the north pier. What a sight!

I'm happy to report that after only one relatively minor glitch that temporarily left us without a port motor in mid-lake (and also taught us a little something about the fuel system piping and valve controls - nice catch, Aaron) the boat ran very, very well after being out of the water for the last two years.

While I'm excited as all get out at our new, floating home away from home, this week has been what I described earlier to Jamie as an odyssey, and I'm damned glad to be home. Fun, yes, but a stressful fun from a logistical standpoint.

My heartfelt thanks and gratitude go out to Jamie and Aaron for sticking with me and making the trip, as making that crossing at this time of the year in a vessel of (relatively) unknown quantity is not something one might typically be quick to sign up for. They both earned their stripes in a lot of ways.

I've attached a couple photos of the vessel; she looks even better in the water, so thanks also go out to my 11 year-old son Louie for his sharp eye and proficiency with the camera from the Manistee north pier!

And last but not least, my thanks for all the support and good wishes I've gotten from some of you here, most notably Aaron and Prowlersfish. You guys are great, and I'm sure I'll have more questions and photos for you as long as this site is operating - I'm no short timer!

With that, I'm going to bed!

Regards,

Hart

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

mazel tov on the maiden voyage of your beautiful f-36. what a great story. wish i could have come along for the ride. she looks fantastic underway. and, i LOVE the last pic..... the dog is keeping watch of the new digs.
again, welcome home.
aaron in baltimore.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

Beautiful Trojan and pictures.

I am glad the weather cooperated. Those that don't know the great lakes and what north east winds can do to the west side of the pond or don't respect them can find themselves in a world of trouble but you seem to have managed quite well.

I cant think of a better vessel to take across our little pond.

Congratulations on the new Trojan. ( To call it a boat seems unworthy of the brand and especially one so pretty)

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Your off to a great start . Congrats !!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Glad you got her home safely. Nice looking boat. Thanks for the pics.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

What a great looking boat! I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BTW "Hart's Desire " is a great name
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i'm just amazed at her overall great condition. i love how they (the PO) retrofitted her w/ opening portlights. i've thought of doing that for my fwd head.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Congrats! She is a beauty!

I was at the Lake on Saturday and you were right about the winds!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express