TACH REPLACEMENT QUESTION---TELEFLEX HEAVY DUTY

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

I replaced my tachs with Teleflex Lido series, white with S/S rim, very clean and neat looking. The only problem was after hooking everything up ,nothing worked. I had to run a wire from the rear of the tach down to the back of the coil ??? Then they worked.

http://www.boatersland.com/tel65693p.html
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

captainmaniac wrote:Oh yeah - and when I replaced my gauges a few years back I did it with Teleflex Red International series. Don't know if they are still available. I like 'em. I also replaced the original engine synchs with Teleflex equipment.
Are you allowed to install ''International series'' gauges on an ''F'' series boat?
:D
Sorry, I just had to.....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Jerry wrote:
captainmaniac wrote:Oh yeah - and when I replaced my gauges a few years back I did it with Teleflex Red International series. Don't know if they are still available. I like 'em. I also replaced the original engine synchs with Teleflex equipment.
Are you allowed to install ''International series'' gauges on an ''F'' series boat?

Breaking the rules :evil: Glad Aaron is looking at the teleflex heavy duty gages . :wink:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Breaking the rules :evil: Glad Aaron is looking at the teleflex heavy duty gages . :wink:
like i said before, i like the clean/retro look of the heavy duty design. reminds me of the original 'datcon' gauges that were on bubala3. for now, i just want to replace the tachs and add a synchronizer. the current sync just does not work well. what i need for that though is some sort of dash mount pod to put it in, it must accept gauges that are 2". i'm at a loss as to where to find something like the mounting pod though.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Aaron, are you talking about putting a 2" sync in a surface mounted pod like we used to see often on the hood of a car in front of the driver? If so, I installed a 2" depth sounder gauge in one of those on top of a helm. I can try and check some records to see if I can find where I ordered it from.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Big D wrote:Aaron, are you talking about putting a 2" sync in a surface mounted pod like we used to see often on the hood of a car in front of the driver? If so, I installed a 2" depth sounder gauge in one of those on top of a helm. I can try and check some records to see if I can find where I ordered it from.
yes bigD that's exactly what i'm in need of. i saw some in a boat catalog a year ago but for some reason cannot remember which one. i've exhausted jamestown, defender, overtons and hamilton. if you can find out where you got yours that would be great. not sure where this bug got to me about replacing gauges, but now it's grabbed ahold big time. maybe it's because it might just be an easy project as my energy level is just terrible. i was in the bilge this afternoon checking water levels on the batteries and i was actually winded when i hiked myself back into the salon. this is NOT me and i'm just beside myself that i cannot do what i normally used to do. very frustrating indeed.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Probably not really what you are looking for, but NavPod makes a bunch of different sized housings (mostly for GPS / Radar / larger electronic gauge clusters).
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Take a look at this Aaron. It's the one I once installed for someone. You can get just the mount without the gauge. They will accomodate up to a 2.5" gauge. See if you can find the specs for max depth, I can't seem to find that page anymore. You will see the surface mount in this page:

http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/shop# ... ccessories

Won't turn into a link for some reason :? Copy and paste in your internet address field
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year