TACH REPLACEMENT QUESTION---TELEFLEX HEAVY DUTY

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

TACH REPLACEMENT QUESTION---TELEFLEX HEAVY DUTY

Post by aaronbocknek »

sorry if i sound uneducated on this one, but, i'm looking at replacing my datcom tachs on my tri cabin and i believe that the teleflex heavy duty series will suffice. is this considered a 'direct replacement' or does the sender have to be upgraded as well. i believe there was a thread about this a few months ago and the answer was no, that you can just swap out one for one. eventually i'd like to replace all the gauges for the heavy duty as i like the simplicity of the design.
thanks for the input.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

No sender used on a tach . ( gas engines anyway) The other gages will need to match the senders or replace the senders to match the gages
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:No sender used on a tach . ( gas engines anyway) The other gages will need to match the senders or replace the senders to match the gages
thanks paul. if i remember from looking at my old tachs, there is a switch to flip for 4/6/8 cylinder. looks pretty simple for a one to one swap. now i have another question. the stbd oil pressure gauge sticks a bit, and i have to tap on the gauge to get the needle to respond, especially in really hot weather. is this a sign that the gauge is bad or just comes with age. it's not that it does not work, you just have to 'wake it up' in order for it to do so. will this need a sender match or can that just be swapped out too?
thanks for the input. and hows that arm of yours?
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
k9th
Ultimate User

Re: TACH REPLACEMENT QUESTION---TELEFLEX HEAVY DUTY

Post by k9th »

aaronbocknek wrote:sorry if i sound uneducated on this one, but, i'm looking at replacing my datcom tachs on my tri cabin and i believe that the teleflex heavy duty series will suffice. is this considered a 'direct replacement' or does the sender have to be upgraded as well. i believe there was a thread about this a few months ago and the answer was no, that you can just swap out one for one. eventually i'd like to replace all the gauges for the heavy duty as i like the simplicity of the design.
thanks for the input.
aaron
Aaron - I need to replace the tachs on my tri-cabin also - which model are you considering?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Re: TACH REPLACEMENT QUESTION---TELEFLEX HEAVY DUTY

Post by aaronbocknek »

k9th wrote:
aaronbocknek wrote:sorry if i sound uneducated on this one, but, i'm looking at replacing my datcom tachs on my tri cabin and i believe that the teleflex heavy duty series will suffice. is this considered a 'direct replacement' or does the sender have to be upgraded as well. i believe there was a thread about this a few months ago and the answer was no, that you can just swap out one for one. eventually i'd like to replace all the gauges for the heavy duty as i like the simplicity of the design.
thanks for the input.
aaron
Aaron - I need to replace the tachs on my tri-cabin also - which model are you considering?
hi tim, this is from the teleflex website, and, for some reason, only shows the diesel tach, but, you get the general idea of the look. i like it because it's clean and simple.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/ ... eavy-duty/

this is the tach for gas engines on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teleflex-82288P ... ar&vxp=mtr
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

aaronbocknek wrote:
[ now i have another question. the stbd oil pressure gauge sticks a bit, and i have to tap on the gauge to get the needle to respond, especially in really hot weather. is this a sign that the gauge is bad or just comes with age. it's not that it does not work, you just have to 'wake it up' in order for it to do so. will this need a sender match or can that just be swapped out too?
[/b]

The senders need to match the gages . The ohm rage needs to be correct. . Not saying the have to be the same brand just the correct ohm range.

I have gotten senders and gages form e gages . there site list the info of a lot of brands of gages

http://www.egauges.com/default.asp
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Thanks Aaron - I'll check them out. I like the clean look also.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I'll gladly take any and all old Trojan OEM gauges that folks are ditching. :D
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

What?? Its not normal to tap on the gauges??

I thought this was one of the fun things of boating!!!!

I've seen some refits where they swap out all of the gauges and replace them with two large digital gauges that have all the functions on them.

Pretty cool and I've been told not expensive to do - just a lot of labor.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

lawyerdave71 wrote:What?? Its not normal to tap on the gauges??

I thought this was one of the fun things of boating!!!!

I've seen some refits where they swap out all of the gauges and replace them with two large digital gauges that have all the functions on them.

Pretty cool and I've been told not expensive to do - just a lot of labor.
i don't mind tapping on the gauges, keeps me amused. just a slight tap and the oil pressure gauge for the starboard engine comes to life. the starboard tach works, but the internal faceplate 'plastic', you know, where the numbers are embossed, are curling up and the whole look is schmutzy. and i for one, do NOT like schmutzy on my boat.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Commissionpoint wrote:I'll gladly take any and all old Trojan OEM gauges that folks are ditching. :D
i will be glad to send em to you buddy, but the starboard tach faceplate under the lens looks really cruddy. the plastic that the numbers are embossed on is flaking and curling up and the over all look is schmutzy. and i do not do schmutzy. never ever. as for the oil pressure gauge, just a slight tap and it comes to life. amusing to say the least. i do love the look of the 'heavy duty' gauges though. very clean and retro-modern.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

lawyerdave71 wrote:....refits where they swap out all of the gauges and replace them with two large digital gauges that have all the functions on them....
Granted all multi function devices like gauges, displays (GPS, radar, depth...), media electronics, etc. save a lot of room, the only issue I have with them is that when they fail, you loose several devices at once. If my stand alone fuel or volt gauge fails, I'll still feel very comfortable running my engine home. If a multifunction gauge fails though, you're running blind, and not advisable to run the engine. Given that some multifunction devices monitor vital systems such as engine operation and serve as aids in navigation, loosing all the information from multiple sensors on one gauge/display at once on any one system can be bad news.
Last edited by Big D on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Big D wrote:
lawyerdave71 wrote:....refits where they swap out all of the gauges and replace them with two large digital gauges that have all the functions on them....
Granted all multi function devices like gauges, displays (GPS, radar, depth...), media electronics, etc. save a lot of room, the only issue I have with them is that when they fail, you loose several devices at once. Given that some of these monitor vital systems such as engine operation and serve as aids in navigation, loosing all the information from multiple sensors on one gauge/display at once on any one system can be bad news.
+1

If you choose to put all your eggs in one basket, better not drop the basket!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Oh yeah - and when I replaced my gauges a few years back I did it with Teleflex Red International series. Don't know if they are still available. I like 'em. I also replaced the original engine synchs with Teleflex equipment.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:
Big D wrote:
Granted all multi function devices like gauges, displays (GPS, radar, depth...), media electronics, etc. save a lot of room, the only issue I have with them is that when they fail, you loose several devices at once. Given that some of these monitor vital systems such as engine operation and serve as aids in navigation, loosing all the information from multiple sensors on one gauge/display at once on any one system can be bad news.
+1

If you choose to put all your eggs in one basket, better not drop the basket!
+2
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels