Tinted Windows

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

carlywolf
Sporadic User

Tinted Windows

Post by carlywolf »

Has anyone tinted their helm windows, side sliders and windshield? Pros and cons? My front and side cabin windows are tinted windows already , so matching the tint wont be hard . I havent seen this on any of the older Trojans and im wondering if it would take away from the classic look. Has anyone seen our older Trojans with this done? Thx...
Classic 1977 F26 HT 5.7 MPFI 350 (330HP)
CLAS-SEA
Carl
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I tinted my side cockpit windows but not the windshields and I think it looks great. I did them in the lightest 3M tint that was available since I do occasionally operate the vessel at night.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Thx for the reply Paul, down here the sun and the heat for 7-8 mths really cooks the helm area. My cabin windows are pretty dark , not after market tint either, built into the glass type so i was wondering if tint darkness should be lighter up top
CLAS-SEA
Carl
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would worry about running at night with the tint
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

They say that "necessity is the mother of all inventions".

I am surprised that the tint that is done on eyeglasses, that go dark in sun and clear during night has not been incorporated into windshields.

Must be a reason besides the costs, but then again, the costs would come down dramatically if they sold millions of them.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Had to post one more, didn't like the number of posts I had
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
lasker

Re: Tinted Windows

Post by lasker »

carlywolf wrote:Has anyone tinted their helm windows, side sliders and windshield? Pros and cons? My front and side cabin windows are tinted windows already , so matching the tint wont be hard . I havent seen this on any of the older Trojans and im wondering if it would take away from the classic look. Has anyone seen our older Trojans with this done? Thx...
TINTED MY 30 FIBERFORM WINDSHIELD AND DIRECT SUN CAUSED IN TO BREAK
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Torcan wrote:Had to post one more, didn't like the number of posts I had
D'OH !!! :shock: you mean you didn't like 'the sign'? :twisted:
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
~DarkNemesis~

Post by ~DarkNemesis~ »

eye glass process hasnt been done yet because of uv ray break down is to high in the lens. Windows wont last long. Factory would never be able to uphold the warrenty. Eye glass technology is acually only ment for limited in-out time in the sun. Automobile companies have already been trying. I tinted all my windows 50% even wind sheild on everything. As far as night vision on the boat. I have not had a problem. Usually cruising at a safe speed. Its all black but the red-green-white lights of other vessels and markings are always noticable. Not to mention in the dark of night I rely on my navi system alot. Between me the navi and all the marker lights, I have never had an issue. I fish 3 am in the lower chesapeake bay ALOT. All the Cargo ships anchor around the Lesner/Lynhaven area 5-7 at a time all winter. no worries.... tint away if you like, just have to learn navi a little better, vision at night is not that bad. Its already dark and those lights are bright for a reason. you have a better chance at screwing up from distraction or self inflicted drama than you would from tinting your window :idea:
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I have no tint on the forward windows, but a bit of a tint on the side windows and sedan door/windows at the back. For night visibility, zero or minimal tint forward is best. When I (rarely) operate at night, I often have the side window open as well so I am not looking through the tint.

If you are worried about things baking during the day when you are not operating the boat, a windshield cover could be a better idea. You can use solid Sunbrella canvas, but they also make a mesh that you can see through a bit (that's what my cover is made from).
~DarkNemesis~

Post by ~DarkNemesis~ »

captainmaniac wrote:I have no tint on the forward windows, but a bit of a tint on the side windows and sedan door/windows at the back. For night visibility, zero or minimal tint forward is best. When I (rarely) operate at night, I often have the side window open as well so I am not looking through the tint.

If you are worried about things baking during the day when you are not operating the boat, a windshield cover could be a better idea. You can use solid Sunbrella canvas, but they also make a mesh that you can see through a bit (that's what my cover is made from).
completly different boat setup than the post request. Even thought, night vision through tint is not very bad assuming you are not looking for limo dark or under 50% tint IMO. But I drive alot at night, experence helps any situation
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I agree with Capt. Maniac, our boat was like a greenhouse with the clear front windows, I made a front window screen that cuts light by 85% +- but you can see through it, I wouldnt pilot the boat with it on but you can easily see everything in fron of you , the expensive product is Phifertex and is about 20.00 a yard.

I bought a 25' roll of the sun shade material at Home Depot, made templates with resin paper and then cut and sewed up the front shade. the snaps were already on the boat so I had to only match up the location on the shade.

The 25' roll was less than 50.00 and has a 5 year warranty, it looks almost the same as the Phifertex, there is a substantial difference with it on.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:I have no tint on the forward windows, but a bit of a tint on the side windows and sedan door/windows at the back. For night visibility, zero or minimal tint forward is best. When I (rarely) operate at night, I often have the side window open as well so I am not looking through the tint.

I fully agree , at night you can't see as much thru tint . my stern and side window are tinted and you can;t see as much thru them as the clear windshield . Even if you lost 10% of visibility at night thats too much . you need 100% .

a thought
Just tinting the top part would help and not effect visibility for navigation
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Yea i think im just going to do sliders on the sides, ive seen a few boats at the marina, newer boats that have the tint in the glass and asked the Captains and they said night vision with a little rain to boot hampered seeing farther in front of them. We are also coming into the fog season early mornings and thats when i like to go offshore sooooo , side sliders is all im doing.
CLAS-SEA
Carl
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Below is a picture in which you can see my port side sliders done in a light 3M tint.

The next picture shows the Sunbrella windshield cover that stays in place at the dock to keep the sun out.

This last picture shows my cell phone lounging on the bow.

Last edited by Paul on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB