shift levels, mine seem to be getting more stift

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sluggo
Sporadic User

shift levels, mine seem to be getting more stift

Post by sluggo »

to move, (that is hard to move) and I dont think it is because it is getting cold outside, I think they need lubed, but my question is where? underneath the control up by the shifters or back on the engine/transmission or both? of is there another else I should look at? right now, all is working, but they are stiff
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Just replace the cables and be done with it. I changed the shifters and cables the second season I had the boat and it's one of the best things I've done.

I tried the lube trick using a schrader valve (tire), oil and a compressor. It works but not for that long and nowhere near as good as replacing the cables.

It's actually not that bad of a job on the mid cabin and maybe $200ish for all four. You could always swap the shifters later but my factory ones were shot (physically and cosmetically).

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

if you still want to know about the lubing of them, heres one way of doing it, heres the link that was put up on our forum a while back wouldnt hurt to try it first just to see

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... y+oil#8268
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Did the libe trick on mine this season and worked great. Plus it was cheap!
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

You could always disconnect them at the throttles and transmissions and see if they free up. (If they remain stiff my guess is that it would point toward the cables binding) If not try the lube trick and plan on replacing them in the near future. Like a previous post said. It's not that big of a job and is definetley a DIY project for someone with medium mechanical skills and a willingness to get a little contorted and a little dirty
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I lubricated mine with a teflon based spray lube when I had the engines out. I disconnected the threaded transmission and throttle connectors (tiny set screws) at the engine end, and pulled out the center wire, I then sprayed WD-40 through the outer core , the WD-40 came out dark & dirty, I just kept spraying until it was clean, I them spray the teflon lube until it ran out the other end. I reinserted the inner wires and they have been fine since. I took a full tall can of WD-40 and a little teflon lube.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

The shift/throttle control head is easy to lube and tighten up if loose. Recommend not taking the shaft assembly out of the nylon bushing, as hard to get back in. They both seperated in half, assuming you have the morse controls like most of the Trojans.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink