On the Hard again

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Torcan
Moderate User

On the Hard again

Post by Torcan »

Well, the boat came out today, in pouring rain, soaked to the bone. Now to just winterize her and shrink wrap it.

Don't think I will get much of a chance this week as the next couple of days look like the weather here is going to become very, very nasty.

Thank you to RooferDave for making me a cradle, In lime flourescent green no less, that glows in the dark!

Gotta Love the guy, he has been the best friend someone could ask for in the boating community. A great guy, with a huge heart, and tons of knowledge.

If you read this Dave, and I am sure you will... Thank you so much.
Last edited by Torcan on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good Deal !!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I was going to haul mine out today but wasn't in the mood to get wet. Thought I would do it Sunday but that's not looking good now either or the rest of the week. Luckily I can do it when I want. Looks like next weekend instead.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

HEY TORCAN!!!! i have got to see that lime green cradle. don't forget that once she is settled in to take a few pics for us. ENTERPRISE is snug in her slip, lines doubled, gap between sliding salon windows is covered in heavy duty tarp plastic secured to the glass with shrink wrap tape. during last years blow, that was her weak spot, the gap between windows. the rubber seal was not meant to stop 70mph (112kph for my canadian and european friends) wind driven rain. salon had a few wet spots. entire bridge deck enclosure has been removed, frame stored, and winter fast back cover in place (less for the wind to grab). a special shout out thank you to mike kulp next to me in his international for lending a hand and taking a break from his oil change tasks. mike, thank you again for the assistance. let's all hope this storm passes quickly and with less damage than predicted.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Well she's out and winterized :cry: The four new chainfalls were a lot easier on the arms than the older ones but still, that and 10 timbers...I'm getting too old for this. Gears already spinning in my head; eventually I'll have a box with a few buttons that will do it all 8) Time to get the creative juices flowing!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:Well she's out and winterized :cry: The four new chainfalls were a lot easier on the arms than the older ones but still, that and 10 timbers...I'm getting too old for this. Gears already spinning in my head; eventually I'll have a box with a few buttons that will do it all 8) Time to get the creative juices flowing!

chainfalls ? Just how do you haul your boat ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

One chainfall/hoist on each corner, two slings, and a lot of pulling :cry: If I had $20k, it'd be automated but I think I can do it way cheaper than that. I'm breaking out the pencil and graph paper. Maybe I can still remember how to use the slide rule :shock:
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Got it done today, a window break in the weather, at least it didn't rain today.
I know it's not a Trojan, but here are the pics,
and the Lime Green Cradle Rofferdave made for me,
BTW.. I did the shrinkwrap myself, we are a group that bought the flame guns, and only have to put out for the plastic every year, comes down to a little less than $100

And the Jeep in the background... that's my other toy :)
Lifted, 12" wide tires, winch, along with every bell and whistle you can think of, including solid steel glove box, center console and overhead console to keep the thieves away when I have the roof off to go off-roading.

Last edited by Torcan on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

You shrink wrap right on your canvas frame? Not worried about snow load?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:One chainfall/hoist on each corner, two slings, and a lot of pulling :cry: If I had $20k, it'd be automated but I think I can do it way cheaper than that. I'm breaking out the pencil and graph paper. Maybe I can still remember how to use the slide rule :shock:

A model T travel lift . sounds like fun :wink:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Not a travel lift, this is in a boat house...not fun
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Big D wrote:You shrink wrap right on your canvas frame? Not worried about snow load?
Never had a problem with the Trojan, nor was there ever a problem in the past with this boat. The frame is solid, and there are also 2x3 pieces of wood framed in under the shrinkwrap as well that you cannot see from the pic.

Not worried about the snow load, it is minimal
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

This is a good example of how I do them. I fold down all the canvas framing and errect a ridge pole supported by several vertical supports. Some do a straight pole, I prefer the curved one as in the link (Google). I find the straight poles tear too easily in extreme conditions. With a curved ridge pole, there is no abrupt termination to tear. This is sure to stand up to any snow load given that it doesn't take much snow before it all slides off. Any flat or low angle surfaces will retain much more snow. Remember that the last few winters have been mild but one should always shrink with the worst conditions in mind.

http://www.weliveonaboat.com/wp-content ... oto-14.jpg
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Big D wrote:This is a good example of how I do them. I fold down all the canvas framing and errect a ridge pole supported by several vertical supports. Some do a straight pole, I prefer the curved one as in the link (Google). I find the straight poles tear too easily in extreme conditions. With a curved ridge pole, there is no abrupt termination to tear. This is sure to stand up to any snow load given that it doesn't take much snow before it all slides off. Any flat or low angle surfaces will retain much more snow. Remember that the last few winters have been mild but one should always shrink with the worst conditions in mind.

http://www.weliveonaboat.com/wp-content ... oto-14.jpg
Please tell us that isn't your boat BigD

My God
one bad accident and a kick to that 2x4 and the whole boat comes crashing down

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Nope, got the pic from Google to show you the ridge pole. I know what you mean though :shock: