AC

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Vitaliy
Moderate User

AC

Post by Vitaliy »

my F36 tri has the original AC from 1974 which is still running and i know i posted this before a while back but now i have an opportunity to score a
Cruisair SXR 12 as a replacement for the WFA16k cold only unit, was wondering if anyone had any experience with these units and to see if it might keep up with the 16k remote system... its just to dam old and on its last breath, i was thinking of servicing it and added heat however cant find any parts or anything for any of these units

any ideas or comments?
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

dO YOU ONLY HAVE 1 A/C NOW ? IF SO WHY REPLACE IT JUST ADD ANOTHER
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

that would be to much power draw, over 30 amps for 2 units
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

also the fact that ill have to cut more holes for vents in the boat since the original system is a remote water chiller unit that i have absolutely no use for unless i can somehow make it a reverse cycle.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Surprised you don' have twin 30 amp , would be a easy and great up grade to do . I don't believe a single 12k unit would cut it My F36 ( not a tri) uses 2 12K units . One is the original and I have no problem getting parts . converting one to revese cylce is not pratacal . Also when the water temp gets around 40 deg's a revese cycle is usless .

Is the unit your looking at a self contaned ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

i do have twi 30 amps however since i live aboard my boat i have other things running besides the AC's, the 12k SXR system is self contained and i have an opertunity to score one fora bout 500 thats why i was asking

however the system that i have onboard now is a 16k and its not, it has a remote chiller and condensing unit.... the whole concept is that i want to heat and cool my boat all in one unit, with no items, i can always shell out the 1500 for a new mermaid unit but if i can get one for 500 why not try right?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Vitaliy wrote:also the fact that ill have to cut more holes for vents in the boat since the original system is a remote water chiller unit that i have absolutely no use for unless i can somehow make it a reverse cycle.

Remote water chiller ? I belive you mean remote condensers ?

If its the original A/C is a real A/C with remote condensers , not a water chiller , a water chiller uses a reservoir of water to cool , a very damp cool I may add .

As I said as far as heat once the water hits about 40 degs a reverse cycle won't work so you you will need a another coarse of heat for a few months

They do make some A/C units that have a electric heat option , mermaid Is on brand I believe .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

i know that, but honestly the biggest issue is that A, i cant service the old unit nor find any parts for it, B. the dam thing is sooooo loud and is on its last breath.

as far as the heating goes, it would be nice to have that additional "umpth" however its not that big of a deal since i have a plug in heater thats 1500 watt on the boat that keeps it at 90F anytime i want it. would just be nice to have it all in one package with one controll and no xtra wasted room.
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

i wonder how much a new remote condensing unit with heat would cost... gota look it up, as i said i cant even find a reference for the WFA16 setup i have.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It sounds like a good deal just don't think is the right size for the job .

dont understand the parts issue ,there should be no issue . I have always been able to get them .

But its a old unit maybe its time :cry:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Two piece units are typically much more expensive.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

I have twin 30amp service on my F36. Just spent 4 days on it with a 12k and a 16k ac/reverse heat unit running the whole time. (both units are crusair) Also had hot water heater going, used stove and microwave (at the same time) coffee maker, tv, laptop, and a 1500 watt external heater when the winds kicked up and decided to visit me thru the side sliding windows. My question is what do you have besides this list that I described that would prevent you from installing the second unit? There are thousands of boats that run two units and only have twin 30amp service. I know I push mine to the limits at times but I have had no issues with it. Two units on you boat would eaze the burden of your worn out unit, probably make your boat more comfortable in the summer also.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

package units are much, much, more dependable and longer lasting, ther is an issue of the water being too cold to extract for reverse cycle, but can be augmented with other means.

Split systems, that is evaporator and condensor have piping with usually mechanical connections. Mechanical connections are a source for trouble, brazed connections are the ticket.

IMO if you study your boat you can find a way to run the appropriate ducts, and if you have two 30 amp legs of power should be enough. 16K mermaid only draws 12 amps and in heat 13, true start up is more but only momentairly and breakers should be of slow blow variety.

If other things use more power just turn ac off while using it. Example hot water heater, although newer ones can use hot water from engine to heat the water tank, (built in heat exchanger)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

i think my boat isnt wired in completely properly or the PO tinkered with it, since one side is designed for hotel services (ac, bat charger, stove, oven water heater w/e) and the other side for everything else its weird because the breakers keep tripping on the "everything else" side, i think its time for a breaker change personally.

the split ac system would cost me twice the money to replace then an all in one, and the vents are all there all i will have to do is run the duct work, i think ill just seriously spend the 1500-2000 and pic up a 16k all in one system with a blower and just install that, to much hastle with anything else by the looks of it

the piping on the old system doesnt leak but that compressor looks like its been in WW2 eventhou it still runs fairly much fine..... is there any resale value or any value at all in any of these systems?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Craigs list and see what you can get for it
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels