Hello, new to the forum and new to Trojan boats

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Thanks again all for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know more about my new yacht, and home (yes, I will be moving aboard and plan to be well ensconced by Dec 1).

Torcan, that is another Canadian flag. However, it will soon be replaced by the old Red Canadian Ensign. I always liked the Ensign better than that new fangled Lester B Pearson handkerchief.

Aaron, thanks for the compliments on the Tri, and the info about the buffing up. Come spring I will get the polisher out and a bit of wax and see how the shine comes back.

Now, to come up with a new name for her.

Cheers.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Welcome

You will find some good stuff here.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

RWS, thanks. I lurked for a while as I was boat shopping. I was impressed by the knowledge of the people here, and the general sense that everyone was nice, and loved sharing their joy as regards their boats.

My decision was between the Tri Cabin, and a 71 Uniflite 42' Double Cabin. I chose the Trojan because she was a bit shorter, a LOT lighter, and had fewer problems to get repaired. Its a nice boat, loads of room inside, and I think it will suit me well.

Cheers.
Last edited by Oxblood on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Congrats !

I sure you will be happy with your choice the tri is a great boat and the uniflites are know for a blister issue , one question how can a 36 ft boat be shorter then a 32 ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

prowlersfish wrote:Congrats !

I sure you will be happy with your choice the tri is a great boat and the uniflites are know for a blister issue , one question how can a 36 ft boat be shorter then a 32 ?
Fixed the typo. I was looking at the 42. And the Uniflite blistering issue was from `1973 to 1976. Caused by a new resin with a bromine based fire retardant. The old retardant they used was discontinued by DuPont in 73. Anything before 73 and after 77 is considered good as far as any blistering issues. Alas, there were just TOO many things that needed fixing, and the Trojan is already in Richmond, so it was a lot easier to move it to its new home.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That explanes it :D , Honestly on the blister issue I belive it is a also a issue in later years In spite of some info you will find . I saw a 74 listed and the brokers ad says being a 74 its before the blister issue . what do you belive ??? . I do belive the fire retardant was the main issue with uniflites .

Enjoy the trojan
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Oxblood wrote: Torcan, that is another Canadian flag. However, it will soon be replaced by the old Red Canadian Ensign. I always liked the Ensign better than that new fangled Lester B Pearson handkerchief.
I prefer to be Canadian, and not tied to some ancient born into subject. There is no need to have the Union Jack on our flag, we are no longer a colony, but an independent country. I do take offense to my countries flag being called a handkerchief. Nice way to start a new jump into the forum there Oxblood.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="Torcan"][quote="Oxblood"]
Torcan, that is another Canadian flag. However, it will soon be replaced by the old Red Canadian Ensign. I always liked the Ensign better than that new fangled Lester B Pearson handkerchief.
.[/quote]

I prefer to be Canadian, and not tied to some ancient born into subject. There is no need to have the Union Jack on our flag, we are no longer a colony, but an independent country. I do take offense to my countries flag being called a handkerchief. Nice way to start a new jump into the forum there Oxblood.[/quote]

here here ! I wouldn't even hit Maple Leaf like that...O and welcome to the site..
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

oxblood..... here are some before and after pics of my tri cabin when she was on the hard while i was undergoing chemo and radiation in aug/sept. as you can see from the pics, she buffed up in spite of her not seeing any hull wax for 4 years.
aaron

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... rise+waxed
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

They put something special in the gelcoat on the late 70's and early 80's hulls, that's for sure. At haulout this year my hull still looked kick-arse (not too shabby for a '79). Salt might do yours in a bit more than my fresh water hull, but with the right care the Trojan hulls around your vintage can be polished up real nice (and kept that way if you stay on top of it).

IMG_2305.jpg
IMG_2305.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

captainmaniac wrote:They put something special in the gelcoat on the late 70's and early 80's hulls, that's for sure. At haulout this year my hull still looked kick-arse (not too shabby for a '79). Salt might do yours in a bit more than my fresh water hull, but with the right care the Trojan hulls around your vintage can be polished up real nice (and kept that way if you stay on top of it).

captain..... see my response earlier in the thread. trojan used very high amounts of zinc in the gel coat formula. this causes the gel coat to retain the shine and gives it a harder finish. as i've said before, many detailers that i know at parkside say they love buffing up an old trojan because it shows off their work much better and lasts longer.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Torcan, I was being sarcastic. It's often an issue on the net;-) No offence meant.

Aaron, the pics really do show the nice state of the hull. Sweet. The surveyor whom I had look at the TriCabin said the hull was rock solid. He pretty much said that there would be few boats in this class made today whose hulls would stand up for 30 years. A testament to quality indeed.
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

I just thought of my first question as regards the new to me Tri Cabin. As I originally mentioned she is an '81. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a Norcldl apartment sized AC/DC refrigerator through the main companionway entrance. Or is it too large?

Here are the specs:

Overall Size: 53-3/4"H x 24-1/2"W x 24"D
Cutout Size: 52-7/8"H x 23-1/4"W x 23-3/4"D

Cheers.
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

THRU DA ROOF ( REALLY )
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »