Velvet drive transmission

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jordan
Sporadic User

Velvet drive transmission

Post by jordan »

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I've heard that these transmissions can easily be switched to run the opposite direction.
Here is what I'm thinking if that is true. I'm going to put two new long blocks in my 77 F-32. (318s) I can buy standard rotation engines for $400.00 less than the counter-rotation engine. So, if the trannies can be easily switched I would buy two standard rotating engines.

Any thoughts on this? Pros and cons of this setup?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

THEN YOU WOLD HAVE 2 PROPS SPING DA SAME WAY
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Not if one transmission was reversed.
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

you cannont use 71/72's as a reverse gears to get counter rotating outputs, unless it is a 1.88 ratio reduction
all other ratios are same rotation as the input
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

THATS WHAT I AM SAYING
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

If the issue is the 400 bux, I'd say you are wasting your time screwing around. Thats not even a fill up at the gas dock these days for an F-32, not even close if you have the saddle tanks like I do. 400 bux should not be a deciding factor in a repower IMO. Espescially if its twins.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Thanks Scott. I thought I heard or read that you could reverse the pump and it would run opposite. Be nice if it were true, save a few bucks!
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Jordan,

I think what you are referring to is changing the oil pump rotation to match the input shaft direction.

as commissionpoint stated, the extra $400 for the engine is considerably lessexpensive than a transmission change, not to mention a much easier repower
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

BTW.. love the boat name
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

I had the boat trucked home this fall after losing compression in one cylinder on the port motor. I've been wanting to put it in my shop for sometime now and this was the excuse I was looking for. I'm going to replace both motors, address the hollow keel situation, install saddle tanks and repaint the bilge at that time. Have already started the galley remodel, then the head next. Salon is getting new hardwood flooring, both helms will get new instrumentation and new electronics. Then it's out to the forward deck to repair the soft spot, then repaint from gunnels up. This is my year and half plan.
When done it goes back to Lake Superior and hopefully start our tour of the lakes. Including the Trent- Severen and Rideau canal system, then down through the northeast to the Erie Canal and back to its home port of Bayfield, Wisc.
Don't think we will try to do the trip in one summer, want to be able to stop and enjoy places along the way with no time schedule. Most likely would winter the boat wherever it is at and then continue on the next spring.

Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

sounds like a great plan!

keep us posted on your "hollow Keel" project, I am very interested in what you are planning to do. Would you please take a lot of pictures of this project and share them with the rest of us F-32 owners?
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Thanks for the name comment Scott. Promised my wife I would name it after her if she let me buy it. Took a lot of foot stomping, pouting and whining, but she finally gave in! :lol:

Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

So Jim, see what I mean about the 400 bux? You just laid out a very expensive rennovation project (maybe 10-12 grand depending on how you do it) and you are worried about 400 bux on a long block. Then you say you want to travel hundreds uopn hundreds of miles with your finished project.

Don't let a dime get in the way of a dollar.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

The hollow keel dilemma!
I'm going to need a lot of advice from the members here on that one.
Have thought about filling it with closed cell foam, concrete or fiberglass resin so far. Or leave it hollow with some type of bilge pump system to pump it out when necessary. But that project is far enough off that I haven't put to much thought in to it yet.

Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gettaway wrote:Jordan,

I think what you are referring to is changing the oil pump rotation to match the input shaft direction.

as commissionpoint stated, the extra $400 for the engine is considerably lessexpensive than a transmission change, not to mention a much easier repower

Correct you change the pump to match the engine rotation on a Velvet dive . you can't use the trans to change the direction of the output unless you use a 1.88 . the output will match the input other wise . On other brands like ZF you can use the trans to switch direction .

and if you changed directions of the engine you will need to change the starter so that off sets it a bit
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D