Another boat fire in Toronto

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Torcan
Moderate User

Another boat fire in Toronto

Post by Torcan »

This is the reason why we as a club do not allow un-attended boats on the hard to be plugged in.
Happened last Thursday Nov 8/2012
Humber Yacht Club is 10 mins from downtown Toronto

video here:
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/fire-rips-thr ... -1.1029556
"let it load, may say not available, but it will load and play"

Police are trying to determine the cause behind a fire that tore through a boat docked at the Toronto Humber Yacht Club, causing $30,000 worth of damage.
Toronto Fire Capt. Mike Strapko said the fire broke out shortly before 5 a.m. Thursday near Humber Valley Road.
The 25-foot power boat was on dry land and plugged into a volt line at the time, suggesting that the fire may have been caused by an electrical issue, said Strapko.
No one was on the boat at the time of the fire.
Strapko estimates that the boat sustained $25,000 worth of damage while a neighbouring boat received about $5,000 worth of damage caused by the extreme heat.
Seven fire trucks and 30 fire fighters responded to the fire.

NOTE: I guess with 7 trucks and 30 firefighters they were determined that it would not get out of hand
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Very sad, also a good reason why you do not stay pluged in. At my winter storage marina they walk around and will pull your plug if they see it unattended. The 7 trucks and 30 fire fighters was probably how they have there box alarm set for a commercial property, if we would run a call like that in our town we would dispatch our complete company 2 engines, squad for more man power and brush truck for surounding areas, complete neighboring company in our township for 1 engine, 1 tanker and squad then we would pull 1 piece from all the neighboring townships 4 more tankers for water supply, 2 more engines to the scene, ladder truck and rescue to the scene, engine to set up and draft water out of pond or stream to fill tankers ( We have no public water supply ), that would be our first alarm if it was getting out of hand we would dispatch second, third and fourth alarms bringing so much equipment it could not all get to the scene and it would be staged further away. Sometimes people say why so many fire fighters well I can tell you if it is the middle of summer and you have full gear, scba and you are working hard on a interior it does not take very long to kick your butt, we pull our fire fighters to rehab after 2 cylinders ( 30 minutes each if you are in great shape and control your breathing ).
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Sad to see and very preventable. Hopefully he is properly insured.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

I see Canadians love their fires, this is like the 4th time a toronto boat fire has made the news

on a bright note just a reminder to check your underwater exhausts, my neighbors boat sank 2 days ago due to a crack the was left untended for a while, turned into a 3 inch hole that pulled her ass into the water.
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
blair

Post by blair »

Hey Mike...we're brothers!
Also, Toronto is the big town just a short cruise west of my place of employment.We would throw all we have at that...3 pumper rescues, a ladder and a tanker...all in!
Stay safe!
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Hi Blair Great to know there is another firefighter on the forum, stay safe.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin