chartplotters

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

chartplotters

Post by mikeandanne »

Got to get a new plotter ,cannot make up my mind.as usual far too many choices.I am confused by what charts come loaded and what need to be bought after.Boating in geogian bay,the trent and lake ontario.Any help would be great as I am getting back into boats after a 20 year break.last high tech thing we had was a manual loran c.What is everyone using. Thanks. Mike
Last edited by mikeandanne on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

I am on the Trent and I like the Standared Horizon cpv350. On my little 26 it eliminates the need for a separate radio, although I still keep a hand held back up, Packs a lot into the unit, and can be surface or flush mounted. Having said that, there are a lot of people on this site with tons of good advise! Good luck!
1986 F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Anything Garmin , I have used a lot of different units and a lot of boats and I find Garmin the best and very user friendly .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Muskokan345 wrote:I am on the Trent and I like the Standared Horizon cpv350. On my little 26 it eliminates the need for a separate radio, although I still keep a hand held back up, Packs a lot into the unit, and can be surface or flush mounted. Having said that, there are a lot of people on this site with tons of good advise! Good luck!
I also have a Standard Horizon, but not the combined model. I don't like the fact that if you lose one because of a problem, you're out both.
I prefer to keep my radio and chartplotter separate.
But have been happy with the SH for now.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
mikeandanne
Moderate User

chartplotters

Post by mikeandanne »

got an email from garmin --they say that all the units sold in north america only come with U.S. stuff---canadian is extra---prbably the same for lowrance---have to check with standard horizon though---thanks for the responses so far---like the look of the garmin though---have garmin for the car and it is great---mike
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

To answer your original question...Garmin, Garmin, Garmin, Garmin, Garmin. even if you need the xtra for map cartridge, it's well worth it. Easiest to use and navigate with.

Uh, did I mention Garmin? :wink: :)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Chartplotters

Post by mikeandanne »

So stripermann, you are saying that garmin is the one I should get. Lol.actually the extra 160or so is not too bad if it works anything like the auto stuff.thanks for the response...Mike[/quote]
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Stripermann2 wrote:To answer your original question...Garmin, Garmin, Garmin, Garmin, Garmin. even if you need the xtra for map cartridge, it's well worth it. Easiest to use and navigate with.

Uh, did I mention Garmin? :wink: :)

Or go with my pick Garmin :wink:

Even the garmin charts are better IMO .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

No one else on here will agree with me but I would suggest going with a GARMIN. :wink: I have the 740s on the bridge and an older garmin at the lower station. The older one is from the early 90's and still works good.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

I have a Furuno that came with my boat and I hate it!

I so miss my old Garmin. I'd replace it but don't know if the transducer would work.

The Garmin is so so much more user friendly.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
~DarkNemesis~

Post by ~DarkNemesis~ »

I got a garmin 441s a while back for my small boat and loved it, Although I didnt like the split screen. Its not a big unit like most big boats have but it was affordable. I bought a second one so I didnt have to use the split screen. You can also hook up the network hubs to allow added equipment. They are pre-mapped from Alaska to the Carribeans. Mainly all USA I suppose but you can probly add Canada...Anyway im just another vote for Garmin
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I love my Raymarine E7D. I only wish I went for the E9D. Best one I have seen IMHO
1983 Silverton 34C; Its 8 O'clock... Somewhere!
1985 Chris Craft 222 stinger
1977 F-32 trojan (sold)
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

I love my Raymarine E90w!
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

This new stuff is fantastic,all I remember was plugging in endless streams of waypoints and following a small line.Looking forward to next year .Mike
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Mike, you should also check the boat show in January. All the players will be there to strut thier stuff and answer your questions but the bottom line will be the lining in your pocket :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year