mid cabin starter/heads up

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

mid cabin starter/heads up

Post by BobCT »

As I posted in the Crusader forum, I've had the old project snowball rolling down the hill again :)

When I hauled the boat, my two year old cutless bearing was worn on one side and the rubber was loose in the bearing (likely two different issues). My alignment WAS good but the shaft wasn't anywhere near centered in the shaft log. I decided to bite the bullet and re-shim the strut in place, replace all the engine mounts so I could easily get an alignment and change my original starters since they had to be removed to change the mounts.

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't enough room to slide the engine over so you can remove just the mount. Unlike the Express model, the mounts are on the insides of the stringers so space is limited. Because of that, I had to unbolt each bracket from the block and remove it. Swap in the mount and then reinstall. The starter is in the way of one of the bracket bolts so it has to be removed. Since they're probably near end of life, I didn't feel like reinstalling 25 yo starters even though they worked fine.

A friend of mine had two brand new Arco starters which he never installed so I bought them from him. What they make now are 14MT starters instead of the original 10MT. A heavier duty starter but about an 1" bigger in diameter. Even with the original 10MT starter, the body is almost touching the trunnion. With the 14MT it does so I'm going to need to shave off about 1/8" of the trunnion to make it work. Some of this is dictated by the side to side alignment. If your engine slightly favors the side opposite of the starter, you would never even notice.

So, if you are installing a new starter and it doesn't quite fit, take a look at your engine mount.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin