new wall covering

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

guglielmo6160
Moderate User

new wall covering

Post by guglielmo6160 »

Im in the process of installing new wall covering in my cabin,
the previous owner semi removed the old wall covering from the inside of my 83 international
does anyone know what the original covering was,? I m not sure what to install, there were a few areas that look like they used ordinary wall paper
of course the ceiling is fine, where the a/c ducts are, but the curved walls , near the head and the front berth are being re done
any advice will be helpfull
thanks
1983 10 meter express
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

guess not,,,,
1983 10 meter express
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Give it time dude! Just because you don't get an answer yesterday doesn't mean one isn't coming.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

:shock:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

nvm
Last edited by Vitaliy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Vitaliy wrote:wow...thats some story there, i wonder what went wrong? keep us posted when you figure it out

im just glad you guys got to the destination in one peace

Huh ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The factory covered all the vertical surfaces with a fabric that was apparently spray glued on.

This includes the curved electric doors.

Th ebenefits of this are the ability to absorb, rather than to reflect noise/sound.

I have seen photos of one boat (is it Bretts?) with wood veneer on mpst of these surfaces.

All I can say is WOW!

Whatever you choose, keep in mind that there are few straight lines in the cabin.

For me, my '83 interior remains factory original except for the carpet.

The fabric and foam on the burgandy and grey seats was clearly a high quality product as it has lasted and worn well over the past 30 years in a marine environment.

For me here's my wish list:

cockpit:
new marine grade vinyl on all seats and coaming
new formica or corian on wetbar top and matching surfaces on the "flats" under the helm and companion seats
a hydraulic or air cylinder riser to raise and lower the helm seat when running with the convertible bimini down.
some unknown product to replace th evinly glued to all the cockpit furniture

Salon/cabin:
new corian countertop in the galley and on the dinette table
hydraulic or air cylinder lift for the dinette table
raise the galley about 1/2" to allow for better clearance aroiund the top of the non-marine fridge and to allow recessing of the two burner stovetop(to be replaced) so it can be fitted with a lid to match the countertop. The stovetop is used very little (microwave is below) and this would increase the much needed counterspace.
All the fabrics and drapes need to be replaced with something NICE and the use of some wood veneer and a nice teak and holly floor would be awesome.

Also while on the floor, i would love to explore the possibility of adding some storage to the area under the Doris Day stairway when re-doing the floor.

So back to the original question - there is zero wallpaper on those curved surfaces. Zero wallpaper anywhere inside this vessel.

It's either fabric with fabric trim, formica or naked fiberglass.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

thanks RWS

thats great information. I agree with your posting. I wish my interior was original, but somewhere along the line, someone installed a crappy grade paper wall covering, which probably looked ok for about a month. I already stripped it down to the raw fiberglass which is around the head. The other walls are riddled with holes and screw holes so I already started body working those areas and I thought about using fabric, but honesty dont know if I have the talent to do a good enough job. At this moment Im considering spraying an acoustic type finish on the surfaces which Ive seen in a few boats, but not sure If I want the interior to look like the inside of an egg carton, so not sure thats going to happen. I really like the wood idea, but funds are limited and its not that kind of boat. I already spent a silly amount of cash to rebuilding my big blocks to make em crazy fast. I see my boat as more of a fishing vessel, and just want it to look its best. I am also exploring a very good quality vinyl covering that of course will be water resistant and have a depth to it, but still looking.Painting with a textured finish is not out of the queation either. I will post some pictures soon.
thanks again,
and I wasnt being impatient captainm,,,, was just making a joke,,,its all ok
Last edited by guglielmo6160 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1983 10 meter express
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

and RWS,, those doors were electric weren't they? I was wondering what the deal was with those, I see some old holes that were under the wall convering on the inside and outside, that suggested some type of motorized set up. Then I noticed that clam type cover to the top right of the head door, and the top left of the berth door, and I thought for a second they may have been electric. This is my first and probably last 10 meter, so I never knew that. Must have been super cool in its day. Man I wished they were fully functional that would be the cats ass.
1983 10 meter express
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

yes those sliding door are electric and are reasonably easy to maintain.

I have numerous posts on this subject with great detail on the care and feeding of these doors.

As far as the wall covering fabric is concerned, in all seriousness I think you are talking about a minimal amount of yardage here.

I would avoid vinyl

I would avoid making it look like the inside of a pick up truck bed.

I would FIRST replace the sealing gaskets in the 5 opening portlites.

This way you will avoid getting any water or saltwater on your new fabric.

My guess is that the fabric and edge trim will not be expensive at all if you provide the labor and glue.

take your time in making this decision as anything that comes out bad will result in difficulty in selling her when the time comes.

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

Ill give it some thought regarding the wall covering. In regards to my doors, not to go off on another subject, they have been disabled a long time ago. I have no intention of repairing them as all the motors, wiring and hardware have been long removed. Unless of course someone out there is willing to give me an entire set up ,,lol which I highly doubt. As I said it must be pretty cool, Im assuming yours are fully functional? must be a gas. High tech even for todays technology.
I love the layout of my cabin, Its almost as if it were built for a very large person,,lol. Im short as hell and I find it hard even to reach across the counter top to the back corner lol lots of room.

anyone who sees my boat dosent believe its an 83 just think, when I was 23 someone was picking up this beauty at the dealer and must have been excited as hell, at a price tag of over 85K must have been a huge expense for someone
1983 10 meter express
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

here is what it looks like now,,,
1983 10 meter express
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

A blank canvas. It looks like you can go any direction you want to.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

is that the only area of concern at present?

If it is that small, take a trip to JoAnn fabrics and get something that can be glued down.

Note:

There are aluminim trim pieces that attach to the edges of everything making for a really nice neat finish.

If they are missing try Marine Tech or Beacon for replacements.

Why were these removed?

Has the boat seen water intrusion?

I am located bvery close to you. If you want to see mine, send along a PM

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

RW
first , this is not the only area, the others are fiberglass white , like gel coat. not in bad condtion, but lots of screw holes, so covering them will be necc.
I am filling the holes as I would repair a car fender, etc. this area is bare fiberglass epoxy which gave me the most challenge removing the old wallpaper, I do have the chrome trim the goes around the opening to the head.and berth, there is no trim around the ceiling or where it meets the other walls, and I dont think there is any there, ??
I dont know the history of this boat, I do know that the boat was not used in a while,
everything seems to work correctly with the exception of a macerator pump, a fresh water pump, and a couple of bulbs,
I bought it very quickly and did perform "my own survey" some may not agree with this, but I think I know enough to get my monies worth.
I see no evidence of water intrusion, but see alot of evidence of bad workmanship. One of my Pet Peves ( is that spelled correcly?) is when people drill holes all over the place to install ridiculous items, like compass's radio remotes and the like. I really hate that,, well this boat is riddled with things lie that,
but all in time I will address all these issues,
Im not doing a full blown restoration, but more of a cosmetic cleaning up.
I believe the structural integrity is fine, I believe this boat will survive me, and thats good enough for me

I would love to see the interior of yours,
where are you located?
Last edited by guglielmo6160 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
1983 10 meter express