Need some advice, transmission got borked on my first outing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Oxblood

Need some advice, transmission got borked on my first outing

Post by Oxblood »

As some of you know, I recently bought a 1981 Tri Cabin. I had the boat surveyed and mechanically inspected, and other than the need to replace the exhaust manifolds and the hot water heater, there was not a lot mechanically that either the mechanic nor the surveyor determined needed to be done.

So, last weekend,m my maiden voyage aboard. Traveled about 20 some odd miles along the Fraser River to my ne Marina. About 2/3's the way there, as you may have read in another post the port engine died and would not restart.

As I feared, it was the transmission. The seal blew and the transmission fluid rushed out, then the tranny siezed. So, now I need to wrap my head around how to get this done. I ainticipate that this is a huge task.

Has anyone here had to replace the transmission in a Tri Cabin? Does the engine need to be lifted out of the boat, or can the bell housing be dropped and removed seperately? Is there any one near vancouver who has experience and would be willing to help out a willing student who can pay you in grattitude, food and beer or whisky?

I want to get this done properly, but cringe at how much I fear it may cost to have a pro do it. Any help, guidance and advice would be welcome.

thanks in advance and Cheers.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I know very little about the drive setup in an '81 Tri, but you can pick them out of a F-32 or F-36 pretty easilly. Assuming there is room to work it should be relatively similar in a Tri. Does that thing have V drives or just the Velvet Drives?
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Just the velvet drives, no V-Drives. Engine compartment in the Tri Cabin is under the sole of the main salon completely "inside" the boat.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Trying to remember how much room there is between the tranny flange and the stern tube but I'm pretty sure it's doable with the engine in place. Really don't need very much room to back the tranny off - maybe 3" inches to clear the input shaft. If you need more room than is available, you can gain more by doing the job on land and removing the coupler, shaft, and stern tube hardware. It's that or move the engine forward. Bellhousing shouldn't have to come off.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I normally unbolt the shaft . then raise the back of the eng and trans enough to clear the shaft . then I support the back of the engine .disconnect the cooler or lines and linkage unbolt the gear and then remove it .

WARNING IT WEIGHTS AROUND 150 LBS !!!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Post some pics of the coupler/shaft/sterntube situation if you can. That way folks can lay eyes on it and help make sure you get the best feedback possible.

Paul is right. Careful handling that thing. Its not light.

A quality rebuild and it will last a very long time. Should be able to find a qualified shop right in Vancouver. Alternatively you could do it yourself, Canucks aren't playing, gotta do something right?
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Thanks for the advice guys. I will get some pics taken as soon as I can (my computer is currently in a box, and I am updating this when time allows from the office). I appreciate the advice.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

+1 on all that Prowlerfish has stated, plus keep in mind before you dive in, your velvet drives are most likley your aft engine mounts, like PF said, you'll have to raise and support the aft end of the engine to get the transmission free.

I built a wood A-frame to pull my engines, the frame spanned the engines fore to aft, and I used a chain hoist to lift out the transmissions and engines, different engine location on the F-32. Also, they transmissions are VERY heavy, i think they are made from lead(kidding), it kind of fools you because they dont look very big but they are substantial

Try Beacon, plus there are a number of rebuiders who sell rebuilds reasonably with a core

good luck
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Bigearl

Post by Bigearl »

If you are having trouble finding a local rebuilder for your transmission J Anthony Keats in Ontario do this work. They rebuilt a Paragon V drive for my F28 and I was totally satisfied.
Bigearl
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Bigearl wrote:If you are having trouble finding a local rebuilder for your transmission J Anthony Keats in Ontario do this work. They rebuilt a Paragon V drive for my F28 and I was totally satisfied.
Bigearl
Thanks for the tip! I will keep that supplier in mind.

And to Prowlerfish and gettaway, thanks for the tip on the transmission serving as the rear engine mount. I will be taking some detailed photos this weekend.

Cheers,

Kai
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

I have not got photos uploaded yet. No net at the boat yet. That is coming soon. But I do have a better description of the state of the transmission.

The port engine's controls are stuck in neutral. You cannot move to forward or reverse positions. WHne you hit the starter you hear the engine try to turn over, but the transmission is locked and nothing will turn over when the starter engages.

So, from the sounds of it, will I have to take out the bel housing?
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

NO JUST THE TRANNNSMISTION
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Thanks. That should make life a lot easier.
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

not sure what transmission you have but I have one that came off my boat you can have for free if its what your looking for , it came of a 440 chrysler "velvet drive tranny" I have no use for it and its yours if you need it . lemme know , as to anyone else I have all the external parts off a 440 if anyone is in need of parts. manifolds, elbows,intake , carb, starter, ect ect . good luck
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

had the tranny out of my 76 tri fly twice this year, its really no biggie, just relax, follow along with us here and you will be fine, thing about boats is in a twin engine set up one tranny pump is in backwards to allow for the counter rotating engine, a car guy will miss this... hence doing mine twice, but in and out on my boat is less than an hour each way

you will be fine
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!