Advice Needed-Doing My Own Upholstery

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Advice Needed-Doing My Own Upholstery

Post by RWS »

While my 30 year old 10 Meter International Series express cruiser is in top shape mechanically, the cockpit and salon fabric has survived and been preserved beyond it's life expectancy.

I have done a few cushion recovers and the rear coaming pad simply by buying fabric or vinyl locally and using stainless steel staples, but this boat now requires either a professional, or an involved owner with the right equipment and products who can sew and learn how to use piping and zippers.

After discovering Craigslist I did a search for sewing machines on line and was surprised with the volume of results.

Do we have any RO's with the hands on experience who could make some reccomendations where I could benefit from the blood, sweat and tears of thier experience?

Specifically i need a reccomendation for a machine that is capable of handling the bulk of this material and the piping and zippers?

Also I need the reccomendation for specific quality fabric and thread specifications and a reccomended supplier.

THANK YOU !

"Threadbare in Florida"

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

You need to look at getting a light industrial "walking foot" machine. Marine vinyl heavy so you need something that is gear driven with no plastic parts. Next, it is sticky and will jamb up under a standard presser foot, hence the "walking foot". There is a class of machine made popular by Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com), they are the cadilac of machines with great support but they are expensive. Check out the Reliable Barracuda machine. It looks identical for 1/2 the price. I bought one and so far I like it just fine.

Next, use a #20-22 needle, bonded nylon #92 T90 outdoor thread and don't skimp on vinyl. Buy a thicker product with a good backing. I like Nautolex brand. The cheaper vinyl you buy at the local fabric store will tear apart within a year at the seams if you go cheap.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

LandVF36 wrote:You need to look at getting a light industrial "walking foot" machine. Marine vinyl heavy so you need something that is gear driven with no plastic parts. Next, it is sticky and will jamb up under a standard presser foot, hence the "walking foot". There is a class of machine made popular by Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com), they are the cadilac of machines with great support but they are expensive. Check out the Reliable Barracuda machine. It looks identical for 1/2 the price. I bought one and so far I like it just fine.

Next, use a #20-22 needle, bonded nylon #92 T90 outdoor thread and don't skimp on vinyl. Buy a thicker product with a good backing. I like Nautolex brand. The cheaper vinyl you buy at the local fabric store will tear apart within a year at the seams if you go cheap.
I second this , I have Thompson walking foot sewing machine and to tell you the truth, it is identical to the Sailright and the parts are interchangable. However, Sailrite has a really good website and customer support.
there are how to videos, needle and thread recomendations etc on this site.

http://search.sailrite.com/category/wal ... d-long-arm
I ordered the manual for the LS-1 which is almost exactly like mine.

If you have seen any of the pictures from my boat, I have done all of the upholstery myself with this machine.
take your time and practice. if you get stumped on something, google "how to sew welting" for example and you'll ocme up with a lot of short how to videos on you tube, it's pretty cool!

good luck
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I have read many good things about Sailrite sewing machines in magazines that I don't care to mention in a powerboat forum. In addition to selling sewing machines (with the price, a good used one might be worth considering), they sell a wide variety of upholstery accessories.

http://www.sailrite.com/
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Use this for searching Craigslist. You can search anywhere you want or nationwide. Its a lot faster than searching individual cities in Craigslist.

The Big Book of Boat Canvas by Karen Lipe, and Dressing Ship by Janet Groene are good books that I reccomend for anyone planning a bunch of canvas work or other upgrades.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Boat-Can ... oat+canvas
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

RW is this something you would like to learn or do as a hobby in the long run? or something your doing strictly to re do your interior. Have you considered using a shop to do it? I would think that to be less stress full,,lol
but if its something you WANT to do, well more power to you.
1983 10 meter express
75 Tri Cabin

Upholstery

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

We own a Custom Canvas shop here in Anderson, SC. My brother inlaw just bought a machine from Sailrite with the zigzag option, a good option to have. It seems to be a good machine for a do it yourself person. We use Consew machines, they will sew just about anything. Sailrite has some good videos to help you out. They have everything you will need to complete your project. We like to use Seaquest material as much as possible. It is used by many of the boat manufacturers. Nautolex is great along with Capitano also. We use Sunguard thread. What ever you do don't skimp on the materials you are going to use. There are a lot of little tricks to make it easier,but take your time and pay attention you can do it.
Practice BEFORE you ever start doing the real thing.Start by making a square cushion, when you master that, then you will have the basics. I would strongly recommend you buy the table for the machine also. Don't forget use stainless staples. Good luck!