Cutlass Bearing & Shaft Seal question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

7421f

Cutlass Bearing & Shaft Seal question

Post by 7421f »

(1) I have to admit I don't know if my (new to me) '84 11 Meter Express has 1 or 2 cutlass bearings per side. Anyone know the answer and sizes per chance? I plan on replacing them and would like to know what I am in for in the way of parts before I pull the boat.

(2) My boat has the original drive shaft seal system with the water line attached for lubrication. I was going to change the packing and discovered that someone before me had cross threaded the packing nut. Does anyone know what thread type and size this would be? I have 1 3/4" shafts. I am preparing to repair this and would like to have the specs before I take it to a machine shop.

Thanks!

Tim
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

one cutlass bearing per strut.

I had the cross threaded packing nut, replaced both packing glands with dripless shaft seals. If I were to want to keep the original style I would replace the whole stuffing box, cheap insurance for PO having screwed the thing up in the first place. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

SOME boats have 2 struts per saft . best to pull out and look . may need all may need none
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Cutlass Bearing & Shaft Seal question

Post by larryeddington »

Just to clarify number of struts X 1 will equal number of bearings. Each strut has one bearing. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink