re-core and extending

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: re-core and extending

Post by prowlersfish »

The only this I am jealous of is Tony's platform .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

and spellcheck....... :P
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

OK here's a real world opinion of Truck engines and my trucks do from 80-120k a yr.
Gas hands down the ford 5.4 best over all in maintenance and gas. The Chevy 6.0 has been good so far but I've only got 125k one it. The ford V10. Has been a good engine so far. The Chevy SB2 350 is a p.o.s.! Luck gets me 150k out of them.
Diesel engines ...the international 444E hand dowin the best thing ever made! I have one with 600k on it and has never had a head off it. Cummins have 2 both with 6b's and they work fine ..getting parts is a bitch! Benz I owned one and got rid of that darn thing as fast as I could. It broke down more than twice a month. It would eat injectors and also 3 turbos in 6 weeks needless to say that don't work in my biz. Well that's my opinion on engine's ...in TRUCKS..now back to my platform .... :mrgreen:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Rich Schwochow

Post by Rich Schwochow »

Here is the issue of Epoxy vs Vinylester vs Polyester. Epoxy resins stick to other materials with 2000-psi vs 500-psi for vinylester resin and even less for Polyester resin. Cured Epoxy also is highly resistant to moisture absorption. It bonds to dissimilar already cured materials which makes repair work reliable and strong. Vinylester is kind of a Polyester hybrid. It's resistance to moisture is better than Polyester. It dosen't bond well to dissimllar materials. Vinylester also continues curing as it ages actually chaging it's resin make-up. It does bond well to fiberglass, but not to Kevlar or Carbon. As far as Polyester I would suggest not to go there. I've done a few projects over the years but I did do my homework.
1978 F-32 Starship II
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

good info on the psi of 2k vs 500 lbs, as well as the other factors. Now if I was making a small boat epoxy maybe. But lets price this out so far I've used 12 gallons vinyl that's $ 672.00 and bought 1 gallon of hardener $53.00. Defender sales 4 gallon jugs of West for 390.00 = $1170.00, hardener 12 qts at 45.00 $540.00 = $1710.00. So I'll stick with what I'm doing. Lets face it we're not working on boats that are starting life. Our boats are ending theirs, and my logic is make it safe and to last. If it was a new boat sure step up. But then I've stepped up from ploy...and not counting my time I don't have 1700 in my projects yet.. :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

They both have their place , and cost maters of course . For tony project expoxy would be too $$$$ . And really not needed . But on some projects the extra "grip" of epoxy maybe a good idea .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="prowlersfish"]They both have their place , and cost maters of course . For tony project expoxy would be too $$$$ . And really not needed . But on some projects the extra "grip" of epoxy maybe a good idea .[/quote]

Ok, now let's think about that. What's it holding on to ? 30 + yr. Poly ? ....not taking a shot, but think about the logic of. Your repair or thing you made is no stronger than what you attach it to. :?:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

alexander38 wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:They both have their place , and cost maters of course . For tony project expoxy would be too $$$$ . And really not needed . But on some projects the extra "grip" of epoxy maybe a good idea .
Ok, now let's think about that. What's it holding on to ? 30 + yr. Poly ? ....not taking a shot, but think about the logic of. Your repair or thing you made is no stronger than what you attach it to. :?:

Now lets think about what I said . What I said was "Grip " Not the strenth of what you made . On some pojects thats very relavent . If what your doing is under high load you what the strongest bond you can get . Its not relavent to your platform poject at all . That why I said on some projects . If I was building a new platform would I use epoxy ? No . If i was bonding something to the hull that would be under high load or stress ? Yes I would .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

But your grip is still only as strong as the base material will hold.
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

alexander38 wrote:But your grip is still only as strong as the base material will hold.

True BUT why would you what the bond to be weaker then the base material ? If you get a weaker bond thats will be where it will fail .

Would you use elmers to glue wood to the glass ? after all its stronger then the wood it self ??
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Paul. You been sniffin' the Elmer's? :shock:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Just trying to make a point on bonding .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Yes the bond is stronger than the base (agreed) But if it fails it will fail just pass the bond, So to me I don't see the since in spending over twice the $ in epoxy to make something 4 times stronger then bond it to something 4 times weaker, that after 30 yrs of service it's on it's down hill slide of life....so now we'll just have to agree to disagree.... :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

But why make it weaker ? ( if you were to use polyester to bond to polyester ) the joint would be weaker then the base . Rember I am talking about bonding not building something.

......................................................................................................

But going with your line of thought , why did you chose vinyl ester over polyester ? :wink:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

WATER ! and Blisters, practice for hull work... :wink: The rest of the stuff I make will be Poly..... :mrgreen:

And the whole platform is Vinyl the only poly is the the flange and that is wrapped in vinyl.....
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !