WHY WE LOVE OUR BOATING LIFESYTLE

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

WHY WE LOVE OUR BOATING LIFESYTLE

Post by gettaway »

If you havent seen this, grab a box of tissues and enjoy.....

http://www.discoverboating.com/goodrun.aspx
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Allen Sr
Active User

Re: WHY WE LOVE OUR BOATING LIFESYTLE

Post by Allen Sr »

That about covers it, say no more..........
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

That's the life so far...I hope it stays that way... :D
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

WOW, nice.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

I'd have really cried if that poontoon was his last boat.
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="DOUBLE R"]I'd have really cried if that poontoon was his last boat.[/quote]

LMAO ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Yeah, that's the life. The only thing left out is, everything else about boating. You know, the five trips to West Marine in one day; discovering that the PO confused AC hot and DC ground one day when your knuckles are bloodied from scraping barncales off the shaft while it's on the hard - and reaching over to pick-up a scraper that suddenly has a good connection to ground, while holding onto the shaft with your other hand for support to keep from straining your back -- again; spending $80 on wire, then finding out that it's about 4" too short; having one of your two engines die as you approach a cramped fuel dock on a busy windy day, then realizing how long its been since you used a rudder and one prop to control a boat in tight quarters under close scrutiny; ripping the flesh off of your knees and knuckles crawling around the bilge; letting your more experienced older boating buddy drive your boat while you hit the head on the way out to the ocean, then coming-up from below as the green marker passes to port while you glance down at the chartplotter and see 2' depth lines one boat length ahead while on plane. But I digress. Besides, I'm probably the only one who has THESE types of boating experiences.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

P-Dogg wrote:Yeah, that's the life. The only thing left out is, everything else about boating. You know, the five trips to West Marine in one day; discovering that the PO confused AC hot and DC ground one day when your knuckles are bloodied from scraping barncales off the shaft while it's on the hard - and reaching over to pick-up a scraper that suddenly has a good connection to ground, while holding onto the shaft with your other hand for support to keep from straining your back -- again; spending $80 on wire, then finding out that it's about 4" too short; having one of your two engines die as you approach a cramped fuel dock on a busy windy day, then realizing how long its been since you used a rudder and one prop to control a boat in tight quarters under close scrutiny; ripping the flesh off of your knees and knuckles crawling around the bilge; letting your more experienced older boating buddy drive your boat while you hit the head on the way out to the ocean, then coming-up from below as the green marker passes to port while you glance down at the chartplotter and see 2' depth lines one boat length ahead while on plane. But I digress. Besides, I'm probably the only one who has THESE types of boating experiences.

==============================================================

YUP !

it's all about the ADVENTURE !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

P-Dogg you hit that screw dead on with that hammer...
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

Yeah, don't forget the "Chinese Fire Drills" too. Like when out of no where a line squall blows in with 60 mph winds and you have 3-4 footers in two minutes, dragging all the stern anchors, leaving 12 cabin cruisers tied side by side bucking in the waves hanging on their front anchors, the adults scrambling to untie them.

Or the time the 6 foot long rattlesnake swam out to the stern of the boats anchored near shore, trying to climb up my father's 38 Owens, and he amazing everyone by hitting it on the second shot with his 38 special!

You know what? I bet the members have a ton of interesting stories like this, I think I will start a Thread!
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

The video reminds us that Boating is a great family activity and one that builds life long memories.

Boating was the bridge that drew my father and I very close and till the day he passed we shared the passion for being on the Water with family and close friends. When he passed we took him to the lake he raised our family on and spread his ashes so he could enjoy that lake into eternity and see the house he raised us in. A few years later my mother joined him on that lake. This past week my twin sister passed unexpectedly. Her last wish was to join my parents on the lake. When the spring thaw comes we will get out on the water as a family and set her free to be with my parents to enjoy the lake. When my time comes I will join them and one day my two boys who share my passion for the water will probably join me. Boating has been a common thread in our family for as long as I can remember.

To see my boys share my passion, learn how to handle a boat, learn how to be responsible with a boat and have that responsibility carry over into all areas of their life is a Blessing. I have picture's of myself handling a row bow with a kicker on the back at a very early age. I you look at those pictures today you would swear it is my son with the tiller in hand and a smile on his face from ear to ear. That smile and the memories it builds make all of the expense, time, effort, and frustration of owning a boat worth it for me and the family

I am sure there are other family activities that draw people together but Boating has always been and will always be my family activity of choice. Is it the wonders of nature we experience? the weather? the water? learning to command the boat? the skills that come with it that carry over into every day life? is it the day spent together without the distractions of our fast paced world in a somewhat confined space? Or is it the combination of all of these things? Personally I don't question which of the things makes it such a great pastime I just consider myself very fortunate to be able to share the passion with my boys and to build the life long memories it brings.

Now let's go Boating and bring out some SMILES.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

P-Dogg wrote:Yeah, that's the life. The only thing left out is, everything else about boating. You know, the five trips to West Marine in one day; discovering that the PO confused AC hot and DC ground one day when your knuckles are bloodied from scraping barncales off the shaft while it's on the hard - and reaching over to pick-up a scraper that suddenly has a good connection to ground, while holding onto the shaft with your other hand for support to keep from straining your back -- again; spending $80 on wire, then finding out that it's about 4" too short; having one of your two engines die as you approach a cramped fuel dock on a busy windy day, then realizing how long its been since you used a rudder and one prop to control a boat in tight quarters under close scrutiny; ripping the flesh off of your knees and knuckles crawling around the bilge; letting your more experienced older boating buddy drive your boat while you hit the head on the way out to the ocean, then coming-up from below as the green marker passes to port while you glance down at the chartplotter and see 2' depth lines one boat length ahead while on plane. But I digress. Besides, I'm probably the only one who has THESE types of boating experiences.
Gee, I can tell you that you are not the only one that goes through all that. I have left a lot of skin on many boats including my own, and been through many frustrating repairs and trips to the store. All that goes away when I'm on the water, and mostly forgotten. But I will NEVER forget the good times I've had on her. I choose to remember that side of boating more.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Been down that road

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

squall blows in with 60 mph winds and you have 3-4 footers in two minutes
I was going to mention the time that conditions were so bad that even the cat was puking from being sea-sick..... Ahh, memories. I'll go look and see if someone started that "Real-life boating stories" thread now.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

that was great. reminds me of the time the bocknek family enjoyed on BUBALA 2 AND 3. as for shedding blood, dad always said that you're not a true boat owner until you've spilled a little blood in the bilge. that and uttering a few choice curse words from time to time.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com