My new personal policy

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

My new personal policy

Post by P-Dogg »

I recently answered a PM without doing any research on who it was that was asking for help. By the time it was all said and done, I had spent about a half of an hour trying to get the information that they wanted to them. Not a big deal, as I have received much useful information from this forum and am happy to give back. Only after I sent copious amounts of various information that I had received from this forum and elsewhere, and had distilled into its useful essence, did I bother to check who the poster was. Well, they joined 5 days ago and have zero posts. They appear to not be a supporting forum member, which, considering the considerable effort spent by Beacon Marine et al, stikes me as asking for (and getting!) a free lunch.

Before responding with the valuable information that you have gleaned from your own countless trials and tribulations, I petition you, my fellow forum supporting members, to first consider whether folks who are asking for help have done anything for the collective good. Maybe folks can't have earned their keep by having a gazillion useful and relevant posts, but if you have a boat and a computer, you can probably spare the cost of one extra soda per month, which is about what a pro-rated annual contribution to this forum costs. I anted-up before I even had a boat, because I wanted this forum to be around after I bought one.

The willingness to provide for your own upkeep, which is one thing I see as being a desireable feature of supporting members, will be a feature that I look for when responding to future requests for information.

To the poster that caused me to embrace my new policy, you are still welcome to all that I have provided free of charge. This is not a personal rant against you. It is the the written metamorphosis of my thoughts which I realized after all was said and done. I hope you will support this forum, and that you will answer peoples' questions when you can. You are welcome here. I ask you and other members-but-not-supporters for your financial support of this forum only because it will help keep it alive and commercial-free.

NEWS FLASH -- In the middle of this, the poster sent me a PM saying he'd join. Way to step up! You are promoted to the head of the line for any questions that I can answer.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: My new personal policy

Post by prowlersfish »

While it is true some ask and have nothing to give back , I have no issue with giving info , some may not have much to offer as they are just starting with boating . I have no interest in keeping score .But in that case it is nice for them to support the forum , With that said I am not fond of 1 hit wonders . ( 1 post get a answer and gone.)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Perry, that was mind blowing... :wink:
I don't mind sharing or offering info. It's what everyone here does. The only thing I ask, whether it be in a pm or topic, is that the question is followed up on by the one asking it!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Ok, once again I feel like an idiot ! I thought I contributed for 2013. read this post , looked at my login and it said 2012 ! just sent my 2013 :shock: contributation 5 minutes ago. I has saved untold amounts of time and money because of this site and its outstanding members.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

So far, only responses are from chronic supporters and contributors. Hmmmm.

I hope said PM'er supports and contributes, and helps to build the knowledge base of this site. I (still) don't mind answering questions from new folks, because as the Chinese proverb goes, to teach something is to learn it twice. In my advancing years, fairness has become increasingly important to me. After I cheerfully provided the requested info, it just struck me how much I gave away for nothing. Not that I was seeking personal profit, I'd just like to see everyone who uses the forum contribute to it.

If you click the "contribute" sticky, you'll see a graph of users vs. contributors. The ratio is about 2:1. So one-third of us are carrying two-thirds of the users (granted not all use the forum the same amount, and I don't know what really constitutes a user). If all users contributed, the "dues" would be $5, not $15. Just sayin'.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Gentlemen,

With the Lancaster Trojans being out of production for 20 years now, the strength of this forum has an impact on our own ability to get valuable information not easily obtained elsewhere.

It also has a bearing on the value and sale-ability of your own vessel.

For those of you who choose not to support the site for WHATEVER reason, think about the two points above.

Seriously folks, JUST THINK ABOUT IT

Just sayin.......

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

I have been here for some time, I have not sent in my Forum Support contribution but I have to say there is more than one way to support. I have spent some big ticket dollars with Bob at Beacon, although that doesn't reflect in my contribution level here I have and do continue to support Bob when i need trojan parts.

1. Bought V-Strut $600
2. Bought Throttle Controlls $100
3. Bought Owners Manual $180

Although it may look like some of us, aka me, appears to get a free ride, I beg to differ that I have supported the community with questions I can answer, and $$ to Beacon as they are able to support my needs.

Thanks! Aaron.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Very true
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Boy, Perry, what gives? Sand in your clam? Can't just do something nice for a stranger? Sorry, but thats bogus. Helping each other is what a healthy boating community does, be it here online or at the marina. Its not a matter of what brand you own or where you spend your dollars, a good captain comes to the aid of those in distress regardless.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Commissionpoint wrote:Boy, Perry, what gives? Sand in your clam? Can't just do something nice for a stranger? Sorry, but thats bogus. Helping each other is what a healthy boating community does, be it here online or at the marina. Its not a matter of what brand you own or where you spend your dollars, a good captain comes to the aid of those in distress regardless.
==========================================================================================

A certain percentage of the questions that come up are from folks that are considering a purchase and who may never become "owners" There are also those who have an occasional question/issue/problem.

The VALUE of this forum is self evident to outsiders and insiders alike. For $15.00 a year (twenty eight cents a week).... lets see.... where is the cup of coffee analogy ?

While there are other non brand specific places to go for information I believe all of us would agree that it's simply in our best self interest that we maintain a REASONABLE effort to keep this valuable resource healthy, alive and well.

Is answering a question REASONABLE?

Is investing an hour of one's time researching the querstion at hand for a stranger REASONABLE?

Is $15.00/year REASONABLE?

Are any of these questions REASONABLE?

Just sayin....

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Must be a 10m thing. :roll:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

Commissionpoint wrote:Must be a 10m thing. :roll:
hELPING PEOPLE ?
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

CP, I think... and perhaps others would agree, that this example, would look good in your profile! :wink: :wink: :)

Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

10 M, 11M .....whatever it takes ..........

LOL !

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

RWS wrote:

10 M, 11M .....whatever it takes ..........

LOL !

RWS
Or a F36 or F...(insert boat} thing . Its not a entitlement thing to me so I don't mind paying my way be it money or my time or both .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels