Project Trojan 12 Meter International

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

shamsul hasan

Project Trojan 12 Meter International

Post by shamsul hasan »

Its a 1987 Trojan with DD 671-TIs. Bought it as a project boat. Have stripped it completely.Flybridge has been taken out,windshield, fuel tank,water tank, and engines are out. Re-designing the interior layout. Have rebuilt the engines. Repairing wet balsa core. Re-wiring the entire boat. Replacing all electrical hardware. Will need all the help I can get from Trojan owners.
Shams
Trojan 12 Meter International
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Project Trojan 12 Meter International

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the site
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Welcome from far away. 12 meter Trojans are cool. Please post pics of your balsa and skin reapair if you can. Best wishes to you with your project.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Welcome aboard Shams. You've come to the right place. Just ask away and and I'm sure you'll get the answers you're looking for. We got a good bunch of knowledgable guys here always willing to help out. And we all like pictures :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Here are some pics of skin removed and balsa fully dried. I removed some balsa, but left most of it intact. Despite being wet, balsa was not delaminated.Most of the wet Balsa was under the water tank and the bow. All through-hull fitting were very well sealed and even after 23 years not a drop of water seeped in. The water came in from the hull. This boat was kept in water for a fairly long time without regular bottom paint. The hull has no blisters some gelcoat damage, otherwise it is in an excellent condition.
Attachments
Image 2.jpg
Image 2.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 8137 times
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (101.87 KiB) Viewed 8137 times
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (108.74 KiB) Viewed 8137 times
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

welcome aboard. is the hull, above and below the waterline actually balsa cored and not solid glass? YIPES!!!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

I can only speak of 12 meter International. Its all balsa core above and below water line. The fiberglass work is so good that a hammer and even moisture meter cannot detect wet balsa unless its soaked in water. I had to drill holes both sides of the boat hull from the stern to the bow. I am happy I did that as the balsa was all moist. Its dried up now. We have a hot climate 38-40C now a days.
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

wow shams, thanks for the information. i never stop learning from this site. i've never seen a hull 'sandwich' before. how did you get the top layer of glass off to expose the balsa core? and you are so right with the comment about the layup. it's actually pretty good considering the time frame in which these boats were built. keep us posted on her progress.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

aaronbocknek wrote:wow shams, thanks for the information. i never stop learning from this site. i've never seen a hull 'sandwich' before. how did you get the top layer of glass off to expose the balsa core? and you are so right with the comment about the layup. it's actually pretty good considering the time frame in which these boats were built. keep us posted on her progress.
Its a tough job. Had to open up the entire boat. Had to remove the galley including all accessories, removed the guest stateroom and the forward stateroom. Removed the floor and the fresh water tank so that the hull was completely accessible. Used a cutter,hammer, chisels and a crowbar and removed one sqt of skin at a time. Its very hard to take out larger pieces at one time. The skin came out with lot of effort; only in the area where balsa was very wet it came out easy.Area that was only moist and not wet the skin left a layer of glass attached to the core which was grinned. Hope this experience is of help.....
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Wow! I'm impressed! Good luck with your project!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Its been a while since I posted an update. The hull has been completely restored engines have been re-installed. The boat is on a trailer. Re-designing the interior layout. The project is taking longer than I expected. Need some help ??
1. Oil Bath? Are the vents on the starboard and port side connected to the Oil Bath??
2. The boat had no blowers, when I bought it. I am installing 2 Jabsco heavy duty blowers for exhaust. Do I need to install intake blowers also??. Are the blowers connected to the vents on the eft side of the boat??
Thanks for help..
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Shamsul, can you explain what you mean by "oil bath"? I have not heard that term before. On the blowers there are intake and exhaust vents but those should already exist. A lot of diesel boats don't have exhaust blowers though or at least they're not needed.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

BobCT wrote:Shamsul, can you explain what you mean by "oil bath"? I have not heard that term before. On the blowers there are intake and exhaust vents but those should already exist. A lot of diesel boats don't have exhaust blowers though or at least they're not needed.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for your reply. Oil bath filters fitted in my boat are for crankcase ventilation.My boat had no blowers installed instead had only intake and exhaust vents with hoses running down to the engines. I am assuming that they were connected to intake and exhaust blowers, which may have been removed by the previous owner.
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

My 12 Meter has one exhaust blower on each side of the boat connected to the side vents. I have never seen a factory install of intake blowers on a boat before.
I believe if you did have intake blowers on a boat you are putting a band-aid on another issue which would be not enough ventilation area pertaining to the vents.
I think what you are calling oil bath filters are actually the oil catch system that Detroit used on these engines.
There are drains located low in the blower air boxes that drain any liquid that has accumulated in the boxes. They are connected to tubes that drain down into what most people call puke cans that have some kind of a diffusing media in them. A lot of the early 671's just drained down into the bilge and you had to make your own catch cans as I have seen coffee cans used with steel wool in them.
If you have an air sep system, that system hooks into the original catch system to try to draw the oil mist collected back into the engine. Thay work well for keeping a cleaner bilge.
If you have a lot of oil in the catch system, the lower piston rings are losing their tension and allowing oil to be drawn into the air boxes.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

shamsul hasan wrote:Its been a while since I posted an update. The hull has been completely restored engines have been re-installed. The boat is on a trailer. Re-designing the interior layout. The project is taking longer than I expected. Need some help ??
1. Oil Bath? Are the vents on the starboard and port side connected to the Oil Bath??
2. The boat had no blowers, when I bought it. I am installing 2 Jabsco heavy duty blowers for exhaust. Do I need to install intake blowers also??. Are the blowers connected to the vents on the eft side of the boat??
Thanks for help..
Also,
If you search this site for my engine rebuild post you will find some pictures if the oil catch system. They are not hooked to any type of an outside vent as you had asked.