Marine Transmission MG 507-A Help please!!!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

shamsul hasan

Marine Transmission MG 507-A Help please!!!

Post by shamsul hasan »

Have DD 6-71TIs with MG 507-A transmission. Cant seem to find the oil filter??? Have Taken out the wire strainer and cleaned it up. The manual says there is an oil filter but I can't seem to find one. Cam someone help???
Shams
Trojan 12 Meter International
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
shamsul hasan

Re: Marine Transmission MG 507-A Also Oil Specs.. Help Pleas

Post by shamsul hasan »

I don't think my engine transmission has an oil filter. Can someone suggest to instal one through some kind of an adapter. Another question is of transmission oil?? what oil should I use?? The manuals are all out dated and the oil specs as per manuals are not available anymore. Even the engine oil,I am not sure? for the engine I have only Delo 400,silver and gold oils and all those are four stroke oils.... Help needed Please
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
Jerry
Moderate User

Re: Marine Transmission MG 507-A Help please!!!

Post by Jerry »

You are correct as your TwinDisc does not utilize a filter unless someone has added one on. It should only use a suction screen that you just clean off and reinstall.
Do NOT use the Delo 400 as it has too high of a content of sulfated ash. You should be using something with a CF-2 rating like the old Delo 100, in a straight 40 weight.
In the US, there are still plenty of manufacturers that offer a CF-2 rated oil.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I forgot to mention, you can use whatever straight 40 weight CF-2 rated oil that you end up using in your engines, in your transmissions also.
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Jerry,
Thanks!!! Will look up for a CF-2 rated oil.
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

How about Delo 6200?? It is classified as CF-2 and available. It can be used for high speed two cycle diesel engines; thats what they say on the spec sheet??? I have to start my rebuilt engines tomorrow. But must get the right oil first.
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I don't like that the sulfated ash content is 2.4. That is much higher than any CF-2 oil that I am used to.
I see it does say:
With regard to high speed, two-cycle diesel engines, Detroit Diesel has a strong preference for
low sulfated ash lubricants. However, for high sulfur fuel applications, Detroit Diesel recognizes
the benefits of higher ash, “zinc-free”, Delo 6200 type oils in controlling sulfur-related corrosive
wear.
I guess my question is how high is the sulfer content of the fuel that is available to you?
I also do not think our engines are high, or even med speed engines as these things are supposed to be governed at a max under load of 2500 rpm's.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I see you stated that you are going to start your rebuilt engines.
Make sure you pre-prime the oiling system on them first before you crank them for the first time. That way you will have instant oil pressure.
Also make sure you draw a vacuum on the fuel system to purge all of the air or you will be cranking them forever before they fire. That is never good for a fresh engine.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Just for comparison, this is what I found in my records for ash content that I was keeping track of:

Sulfated ash content:

Exxon XD3____________.80%
Mobil Delvac 1240______.80% (if you can still find it)
Castrol Assuron________.80%
Valvoline Fleet Plus_____.80%
Delo 100______________.85%
Texaco Ursa___________.76%
Shell Rotella__________1.00%

The Valvoline Fleet Plus is also sold in 5 Gal pails as the NAPA house brand oil.
Last I knew, the ash content in the Rotella is as high as Detroit would recommend.
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Jerry wrote:Just for comparison, this is what I found in my records for ash content that I was keeping track of:

Sulfated ash content:

The Valvoline Fleet Plus is also sold in 5 Gal pails as the NAPA house brand oil.
Last I knew, the ash content in the Rotella is as high as Detroit would recommend.
Jerry,
Thanks for all the valuable info that you gave me. Will checkout the market place tomorrow for any other brands of oil which are more compatible.Will start the engines on the test bench with all your input tomorrow.The company that rebuilt the engines send their people from Dubai. Will tell them to exactly do things as advised by you.
Many Thanks!!!!
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Jerry wrote:Just for comparison, this is what I found in my records for ash content that I was keeping track of:

Sulfated ash content:

Jerry,
Thanks for all the valuable info that you gave me. Will checkout the market place tomorrow for any other brands of oil which are more compatible.Will start the engines on the test bench with all your input tomorrow.The company that rebuilt the engines send their people from Dubai. Will tell them to exactly do things as advised by you.
Many Thanks!!!!
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Started the rebuilt engines today, All went well and smooth startup. I could not get CF2 oil, so I used CF4 instead. Its still time to instal the engines on the boat,will find Cf2 oil and replace CF 4. These engines sound great. Found some leakage's from the pipes will fix it tom.
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
shamsul hasan

Re: Rebuilt 671-TIs oil leak. help please!!

Post by shamsul hasan »

One of my engines have an oil leak from both sides of the blower (supercharger). All went well yesterday when I started the engines for ten minutes or so.Today started both the engines again. One engine had a fair amount of leak from the blower. Checked all fittings and nuts everything is fixed properly. Is it the gasket or the oil seal?? The blower has been rebuilt with new re-build kit. Help please...
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Just to be clear, are you talking about the blower that is mounted between the engine block and intercooler on the side of the engine or the turbo that is mounted between the intake and exhaust at the rear of the engine?
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Jerry wrote:Just to be clear, are you talking about the blower that is mounted between the engine block and intercooler on the side of the engine or the turbo that is mounted between the intake and exhaust at the rear of the engine?
The second engine blower also leaked. I have put in new bearings, new seals and new gaskets. However,I saw a gasket fixed between the end plate and the housing. The manual strictly says; do not fix a gasket between the end plate and the housing; therefore, the mating surface must be perfectly flat and smooth. This is the only reason I can think off??? They have opened up the blowers to check all the seals. But I still think its the gasket on the end plate?? its the one between engine block and the ineter-cooler,not the turbo charger...
Shams
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200