anybody ever take the flybridge off of a F 32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dfg4240
Sporadic User

anybody ever take the flybridge off of a F 32

Post by dfg4240 »

Still pending as a sale but if I do get it--- it will take weeks for me to get her home via water from Milwaukee on lake michigan to the seneca river in upper ny state.

I would have to go all the way up lake michigan and cross over to the north end of lake huron and enter the georgian bay and then go through the trent severn canal system
and then cross over Lake ontario and again another canal system to the seneca river. must be a ton of locks to go through.
This is the shortest way but about 700 miles.Never thought it was this far and thought it would take 3 or 4 days-Yeah right-was I wrong.
shipping quotes for two shippers are almost identical around $5500 but I would get it in one day but I would have to remove the flybridge from the F 32.
I am a handy little devil but how big of a job is it.
do I have to take the whole flybridge off or just the canopy-glass and front and side board.?????
thanks for any help.
I now if a marina does it it is big bucks right!
dfg4240
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Re: anybody ever take the flybridge off of a F 32

Post by dfg4240 »

Ok I found the answer-Maybe I should just hire a boat captain to bring it to me.
thanks
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

dfg4240 wrote:Ok I found the answer-Maybe I should just hire a boat captain to bring it to me.
thanks
That's a long trip. It will likely be more expensive in labour and fuel than if you were to remove the bridge yourself. I haven't taken one off a 32 but some exploring on board should reveal how it comes apart. The best advise I can give is to label EVERYTHING. Put fasteners for certain sections in zip-lock sandwich bags and mark them. Mark all wirng at both ends that you cut or disconnect. If you don't know what they are for, use a marking method that will make sense to you later like end #1 mates to the other #1. Take pictures of everything while dismantling. Finally, get the marina to remove the bridge with a crane or whatever equipment they have that will do the job safely. Remove all loose hardware and electronics. Buy some lumber and crate/frame in the bridge for transport and have the marina load it. Someone here may be able to tell you if you need to remove the props.

Which ever way you go, good luck. It'll be exciting when she gets home.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Where on the seneca river are you keeping the boat? I'm at J&S. They know more about Trojans than anybody. 2 harbors to choose from too.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

1967 seavoyager wrote:Where on the seneca river are you keeping the boat? I'm at J&S. They know more about Trojans than anybody. 2 harbors to choose from too.
I was going to stay at the J & S but will be going to Barrett marine. They are right next to seneca lake.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Removing the bridge is quite easy after taking off the inside finishing panels, the anchor light should have a plug to disconnect, had to disconnect horn wiring and remove antenna's.... about 10/12 screws hold the outside lip down and two large bolts with nuts on the inside bracket need to be removed then lift it off vertically, used straps on the side grab rails. I used a forklift from shore with boat against the gas dock..... left everything on, see here.

All I needed to do was remove the wheel and shifter levers to transport in Canada.... our bridges tend to be higher than US so you may need to lay the console down, again only a few screws and nuts on the inside need to be removed and strap it down to the bridge floor. It is a very easy job to do yourself and you don't need to cut any wires.
I used a hydraulic lowboy trailer to get keel within 6" of road for my real tough journey, this photo is a higher trailer as we had no low bridges on this route..

Here is initial transport without removing bridge, just the wind deflector... we planned the route using a lot of off highway travel with no bridges as well as using exit ramps and on ramps at the low bridges on the Highway.

Hope this helps....
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I have taken mine off to travel from the west coast of Florida panhandle to Virginia. You can do it in half a day...

Like Michaels boat but had to remove the flybridge console.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

I've taken mine off twice, both times I've had to remove the helm. First time when purchased in Chicago and shipped to Bayfield, Wisc. on Lake Superior. It took two of us less than 3 hours, little longer putting back on. Second time was trucking the boat to my shop in the Minneapolis area. That time took less time yet because I knew what I needed for tools, etc. The Marina want nearly a $1000.00 to remove! Save the money and do it yourself, plus you get to know your boat all the better.

Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

My 1976 F32 had the fly removed and re-installed before I bought. It is our first boat, didn't know much, engines only had 9 hours on rebuilds which is why we bought.

Issues, some of the gauges do not work, can't start or stop from the bridge, lots of wiring not connected, horn works, spot does not.

Make sure before you take it apart, what is working and what does not. Get someone who knows about this type of operation.

Not disapointed with what we have, just a little more knowledgeable.

Good Luck!
Season is short, we make the best of it.
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

ok thanks everyone for your answer.
This deal fell through and I bought an F36 in Buffalo and it will be delivered by owner as soon as the canal opens up which is May 1st I believe.
At least my looking for a boat is over for now.
thanks again everyone.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

If it is the F36 out of Buffalo that I am thinking of, you got a very nice boat.
I couldn't believe it took this long for someone to purchase it.
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

yes-it was a good deal and can't wait to get it. I know it was well maintained-even the marina owner said it was in beautiful shape-still I want to redo the interior. and paint the floor and then carpet it or whatever I can think of until I get it to the seneca river. I will probably change my mind 100 times by then. I have been trying to look at cabin interiors to get some I deas also haven't made up my mind about what type dinghy davits I would use. seems everybody uses the 8 to 10 ft rubber dinghy
I know this boat has networked electronics and some good ones onboard.
dfg4240
thanks for the compliment