New holding tank installation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

greenranger05

New holding tank installation

Post by greenranger05 »

Hi everyone, i have a 1972 F 25 that needs a holding tank system installed. I was wondering where the best location for a tank, and also the deck fill for pump-out should be located. Seems like the tank will fit below the deck under the starboard seat. Just wondered if anyone has any advice.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New holding tank installation

Post by prowlersfish »

Can anyone with a F25 help ? I would Try and put it as close to the head as posable along with the pump out . Not knowing the exact layout , I can't help much .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Sorry GR05, I haven't been on an F25 for quite a while now and can't recall systems layout. If you're going with a Vacuflush system, there are some guidelines you must follow for a trouble/smell free system. Let us know if that's the route route you're taking, we can help there. By the way, welcome aboard. We have a good bunch of guys and gals here that are always willing to help when they can. Good luck with her. Oh, and we like pictures :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

If you are going to install a holding tank, under the starboard seat is probably the best place. Do you need a holding tank? The direct discharge head on our boat was replaced with a large porta potti and it works well. We only stay on our boat for a couple of days at a time, but for that long the porta potti has plenty of capacity. How long do you plan on staying on your boat?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
greenranger05

Post by greenranger05 »

My wife and I spend a lot of time over the spring and summer months on the boat. The past few years we have just used the marinas head, but last year we decided we would like to have the head function. Last year i bought the kit and rebuilt the pump. Seems to work fine pumping water in and out, but think a tank would be nice for overnight stays on the lake. by the way, what is vacuflush?
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Vacuflush is a Dometic trademark for a vacuum type toilet system desined for boats, RVs, residential, commercial, etc. It has a vacuum generator that generates a vacuum. The hose between it and the toilet is under vacuum. When you push the pedal or button on electric models, the ball sealing the bottom of the bowl opens and in one second, everything is gone. Your wife will think you're brilliant for having installed one. They now have very compact units for smaller applications that have the vacuum generator intergral to the holding tanks. More pricy than your average manual or electric pump style system but completely different experience in my opinion, but the wallet dictates your options. The video below, gives you an idea of what I'm taking about, don't let the big boats deter you, ythey are used on boats your size as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYIXq80yCg
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

If space is limited, you might want to consider an MSD version of a porta-potti, e.g. http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/P ... fault.aspx. This unit can be plumbed to an on-deck pumpout fitting, so don't let the portable designation discourage you. It can handle 50-60 flushes, so the small size is deceptive.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Nancy wrote:If space is limited, you might want to consider an MSD version of a porta-potti, e.g. http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/P ... fault.aspx. This unit can be plumbed to an on-deck pumpout fitting, so don't let the portable designation discourage you. It can handle 50-60 flushes, so the small size is deceptive.

Speaking of which, I just got a brand new one off of Ebay for $130. And I LOVE IT!!

I recommend this route for a 25 footer. All the other systems seem to add unnecessary weight.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

The Thetford 365 is a nice simple system that just works. With the deck pumpout, what's not to like?
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

another option is this toilet/holding tank setup by sealand. the original model was used on several trojans in the early 1980's.
it has a self contained holding tank that can either be hooked up to the deck for a pump out, or, the hose can be connected to a larger holding tank that can either be dumped overboard (if it's permitted of course, using a whale pump or 12v macerator) or from the smaller toilet/tank to the larger bilge holding tank then up to the deck pump out. the toilet is also plumbed into the vessels fresh water system for flushing. personally, i'd go with this unit (the toilet seat is a little larger than a portable unit), save the space in the bilge, and direct vent/pump out on the deck.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=105225
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Yes, the Sealand unit is nice. It's marginally larger than the Thetford, so important to check dimensions carefully.
greenranger05

Post by greenranger05 »

Thank you all for your advice and input! I have decided to settle with a typical 20 gal. holding tank, conventional system, with deck pump out only. i figuered that we will only need to use this seldomly since we mostly stay at the docks when overnighting. The vacu flush did definitly make me second guess that though!
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Nothing quite like the putrid green waterfall of Aqua Kem & urine in an electric head. Ahhhh. The good old days...... :roll:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Commissionpoint wrote:Nothing quite like the putrid green waterfall of Aqua Kem & urine in an electric head. Ahhhh. The good old days...... :roll:
+1
The problem with systems that don't operate on vacuum such as impeller driven or cylindrical pump style units is that they are designed to move fluid/waste not air. Once the fluid/waste gets to a level that allows air in, they stop pushing fluid, hence there is always a bit left in the bowl that must be chased with fresh water if you hope to have nothing but clean water left in the bowl. The gravity units solve that problem but I prefer to have the waste held outside the living space.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Commissionpoint wrote:Nothing quite like the putrid green waterfall of Aqua Kem & urine in an electric head. Ahhhh. The good old days...... :roll:

Are your talking about the old recirculating heads ? I sure don't have a issue like that with the elc head on my boat.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D