Who has been using their Trojan?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Commissionpoint
Active User

Who has been using their Trojan?

Post by Commissionpoint »

I have been out since last Saturday. Just came in for food and am heading back out until Sunday. I will post pics of my week on the lake at that point.

So.....

Anyone else been doing much boating this season yet?
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Who has been using their Trojan?

Post by The Dog House »

I've been out once so far. Going down to the boat tomorrow to fill up the water tank, etc.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I've been out twice. Both times, boat ran great!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I never really stopped , took a break working on the door . But I am ready to go .

But I have not made and long trips yet :cry: :cry:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Not here in MN. The boat is still on the hard. On May 1st, the marina got 17" of snow! There is one dock with all covered slips. The snow was like wet cement and the roof sections all collapsed. Going Sunday to unwrap the boat and pressure wash, its suppose to be in the 50s. Suppose to splash in on the 11th but I've got a lot to do before that can happen.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

We have used the Trojan a lot so far this year. Last week-end four days at the island, two weeks ago a long week-end downtown for the gallery night. In fact, I have poured almost 900 gallons of gas into her since Jan 1st.
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

kevinz wrote:We have used the Trojan a lot so far this year. Last week-end four days at the island, two weeks ago a long week-end downtown for the gallery night. In fact, I have poured almost 900 gallons of gas into her since Jan 1st.
I think its a good thing I don't live in a warm weather climate. I couldn't afford to run my boat if I had warm weather 12 months a year.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Commissionpoint
Active User

As promised. Pics of my week out. It ended up being 9 days. Changed the oil in the generator when I got back today. Poor thing has been getting a workout making 2 meals a day and hot water for dishes and showers and the invariable several large cups of tea every evening. I really have to look into an electric kettle that I can plug into the inverter. I have used the stove so much recently that I managed to blow the right front burner this week. I would still be out there but I have to interview some folks for jobs tomorrow.

So far I have spent 18 nights aboard, and it will be in for a month on Friday this week. I have kinda forgot what its like to sleep at home. Why is my bed not rocking? :wink:

The first several pics are of a hike I took Wednesday with the dogs to Black Mountain and some of the upland ponds around the lake. We went about 13 miles in a loop for something to do and to get off the boat for awhile. It was about a 6 hour hike in beautiful weather. I had cheeseburgers and chips planned for dinner that night but ended up far hungrier than that was good for and made a mini-meatloaf and roasted potatoes instead. The dogs were pooped and just went to sleep. The rest of the pics are from different points during the week when something cool happened or I just simply had a good view of something. There is one series of an evening cruise on Monday. Managed to catch the first bass of the year too.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10605755 ... YjHsPT5zwE
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Great pics, Michael! Such a gorgeous lake.

I see the v-berth floor is a favorite spot for your dogs, too. Our beagle loved it there, and also on a folded-up flannel sheet under the dinette table.

Speaking of the dinette table, how did the refinishing turn out?

We may launch this week. Hull waxing is scheduled for tomorrow, and I'm hoping the sign outfit shakes a leg and gets a design to me for the name. New, bigger holding tank is in. Batteries have been rearranged and #3 has been added. We are almost out of the bilge! Well, it's been mostly John, although I hooked up the batteries. The rest of the projects can be done in the water unless he wants to install the snap davits while on the hard.
Commissionpoint
Active User

The dinette came out AWESOME Nancy. I'll get some pics of it for you and post them here. It was expensive. About 250 bux in the end, but I am very happy with the results so I'm not complaining too much on the final cost. You can put a hot plate on it and not leave a mark now, and the finish that was used was good and hard so I am not too worried about chhips and scratches as much anymore either.

Nice to hear things are moving along nicely on the Albin. I hope you get some good use out of her this season. I am already closing in on 50 hrs and $800 in fuel. All the tanks are cleaned out and I have been using the saddle tanks for trolling and the generator, and the rear tanks for getting around. Its nice to be able to seperate your fuel for different uses, and it helps me budget my consumption somewhat. I think I am going to have Anderson Brass make me a new fuel manfold next winter. Whats there works OK, but it would be nice to have something with 4 inlets and 3 outlets that has two 4 position valves and a crossover in it. I would keep the extra shutoff for the generator upstream of the can filter with that arrangement, and probably select the best valve from the old ones to put there.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Landlocked

Post by Landlocked »

How come the danged New York guy is out on his boat 24/7 and us Oklahoma guys barely get a few hours in? I always have the fresh water system commissioned by April 1 at the latest but this year we've had freeze warnings right up til May. Weekends have been cool and rainy. This global warming is killing me.

I know, I have nothing to complain about compared to the Minnesotans and the Canadians. And I suspect Commissionpoint has had his share of cold nights recently. But come on, it's May for cripes sake! Let's get some heat going here!
Lake boaters skip the salt...
1985 11 Meter Sedan
1972 Newman Bassboat
1990 Cyclone Jetboat
1957 Fiberglass Barracuda (Olds 425 cubic Inch, Edelbrock)
Commissionpoint
Active User

Landlocked wrote:How come the danged New York guy is out on his boat 24/7 and us Oklahoma guys barely get a few hours in? I always have the fresh water system commissioned by April 1 at the latest but this year we've had freeze warnings right up til May. Weekends have been cool and rainy. This global warming is killing me.

I know, I have nothing to complain about compared to the Minnesotans and the Canadians. And I suspect Commissionpoint has had his share of cold nights recently. But come on, it's May for cripes sake! Let's get some heat going here!
I really really like my boat. Its the second one in my family in my lifetime. The other one was new. (1977) I have had lots of other stuff. My dad has too. Both of us like the Trojan best so far. Its hard for me to say much else. I like it a lot, so I use it a lot. Maybe someday I'll find something I like more, perhaps a big meter boat or an F-44. I looked at an older Viking 35 that I thought was really nice. 14 foot beam on that one, but I felt the 32 Trojan Sedan from the same period had a better layout despite being smaller. I think I'll be sticking with the 32 until the right 13 or 14 meter Conv. comes along. Thats probably what will be next.

Yeh its definately been cold here at night too. Usually in the upper 30's or lower 40's. Thats what the heat is for. Besides, cold weather is good for you, it builds character. Whats cold in Oaklahoma anyways? 50? 45? When it starts hitting 50 here in late March thats when I drag @ss over to the marina to get ready for ice out. :mrgreen:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

Landlocked

Post by Landlocked »

I only get to see my boat on the weekends. This time of year it's supposed to be in the 70's everyday in our part of Oklahoma. Last Saturday it was 49 and misting all day. I must be a sunshine sailor, but it was awfully easy to stay inside by the fireplace and watch the lake out the windows. However, we're getting SICK of it. :evil: I'm about to file a protest. :lol:
Lake boaters skip the salt...
1985 11 Meter Sedan
1972 Newman Bassboat
1990 Cyclone Jetboat
1957 Fiberglass Barracuda (Olds 425 cubic Inch, Edelbrock)
Commissionpoint
Active User

Man, what a bummer.

Its meant to be 85 here today, and i just finished up work for the week. 8)
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)

jsmenzel

Post by jsmenzel »

Getting ready to put her back in the water. Late spring up here in NH. Just finished the stuffing boxes on the props and rudders. A good wash and wax, paint the bottom and shes back in. She is a 1977 F30 Flybridge with Twin Crusader 5.7L 270hp. Can't wait.
Last edited by jsmenzel on Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.