Silver Lining Checking in

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

Silver Lining Checking in

Post by gettaway »

Hi All,

Its been a while since I have been on the site, and it has nothing to do with us now owning a Silverton, I have had a heavy travel schedule with work and a recent college grad in Miami, I have to tell you, those of you in south Fla have a boaters dream in cruising grounds, I was in Seattle a few weeks ago, which is also a boaters dream but the Keys, holy crap!

The silverton is coming along ok, we pulled all of the locker doors out of the boat, and have stripped and revarnished all of the doors and teak frames with 6 coats of satin poly (interlux schooner) what a job! We will update the hinges and pulls when we reinstall them.
I bought a new sofa in lieu of making my own this time, I found a RV / Marine sofa dealer in LA selling on Ebay, they carry a Flexsteel knock off that folds out to a bed and in the color I wanted..get this 500$ cash ---it would have cost me close to this to make my own when you figure in the cost of foam, vinyl and the wood and hardware.

The next project will be the galley, I am looking forward to having this done the galley updated, it by far dates the boat more than anything.
I havent put the doors or the sofa in the boat yet, I'll post photos as soon as I do.

Happy Boating to you all!
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Silver Lining Checking in

Post by prowlersfish »

sounds great
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

You know th drill Scott...............pics, pics, and more pics.... Can't wait to see your updates!
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Allen,

gosh it's great to see you here, we have all been so worried..... :)

here is the doors during the refinishing process there are actually two tables full of these doors, 18 in total, not including drawer fronts

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Looking good Scott. I assume you reversed the door centers to expose the plywood and put the laminate inside? Same thing I did. I redid mine originally and this past winter bought some ribbon striped sapele wood and redid them that way.

Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

speaking of heavy travel, while it was mostly work, I had the opportunity to see and do some pretty cool stuff

We took this Beaver from Seattle to Vancouver BC, while pretty awesome in itself, check out the unlimited cruising grounds below!

These were taken in the Miami area...

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Brian,
we actually just reversed the doors, that being, the inside is now the outside, if you look closely you can see the plugs in the hinge and latch screw holes. we sanded and sanded and put on 4 coats of Petit Flagship gloss varnish and two coats of Interlux Schooner satin polyurethane. they have a very nice- smooth finish.
hope to put them back on the boat this weekend, along with the new sofa.

I have to tell you too...I prefer the trojan owners forum.. :D
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Much smarter way to do it, I popped the stile off, flipped the center and then redid the center and the stiles/rails.

Are you keeping a progress thread on the Silverton site, or should I look for it here? :D
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Nice pics. My brother lives in Vancouver and keeps telling me that I should move my boating obsession (I mean hobby) out there. I can see why.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I got the doors on yesterday, and I put the new sofa in the boat, a vast improvement over a futon, I still have a lot more varnish work to do on the interior, we are tacking this in sections, the biggest being the doors and the salon teak frames. I have the head and forward cabin trim to do, but it is a much much smaller project.

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Nice work. Looks like a roomy salon.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Thanks paul, not sure if you have ever been aboard a Silverton 37 convertible , but I'll tell you, it's a big 37 for boat. It feels like a 40 plus. The boat has 14' beam and the salon measures just at 11.6 wide by about 10 in the longest section and 7 where the sofa is at.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Hi All I hope you are enjoying the Memorial Day weekend, dont forget those who have given all and those willing to give the ultimate sacrafice for the freedoms we have (and are watching being taken away)

Anyways this weekend in our yacht club is opening day weekend, the boats are dressed, the club is buzzing and Silver Lining is coming along. today I replaced the carpet in the campanion way below, made an area rug for the salon and made an out door cockpit carpet for , well, the cockpit.... these little things sure clean the boat up

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Your boat looks great Scott!
I could use one of those sofas. What a deal you got on that.
Everything that I have been looking at is about three times what you paid.