Crusader 454 Stalling, barely running

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gardnersf
Moderate User

Re: Crusader 454 Stalling, barely running

Post by gardnersf »

Progress!

I finally got some time to work on this.

First off, the port engine would not run with the STBD Carb. Would not start. I put the port Carb back on (I had only run it in the Stbd Engine for 30 seconds to a minute) Port ran fine.

Then I finished my Exhaust elbows and riser job

I took the stbd Carb back off the boat, Sprayed Carb Cleaner in any port I could reach and used some pressurized air and carb cleaner to blow out some of the passages. I know this is not a proper carb cleaning\rebuild, but I wanted to see if I could at least get it to run.

I hooked the Stbd engine to a new outboard tank with fresh gas and some StarTron added. It took a while, but I was able to get the engine started. Once it started, it idled and revved normal. It's still on the hard so I can't do much more with it, but it's good to hear it run again. I did hear the "hissing" sound form the carb, but just as I was throttling up and it quickly stopped as the fuel caught up.

So now, I have two working engines and still have some bad gas in the tank.

I have been experimenting with the bad gas. I added extra stabilizer\fuel treatment to the 20 gallons I pulled. I mixed it 50/50 in my tractor and weed whacker and they ran better than ever. I've also taken a sample in a jar and added a couple of different treatments to see how it evolves. With Sea Foam only, the gas began to clear up, the white "snot" that was in the gas started to disappear. (There wasn't a lot to begin with.

I added some StarTron today to see what will happen.

So now, I have to figure out what to do with the gas in the tank. I really don't know how much I have as I don't really trust the fuel gauge to be all that accurate. I'm guessing I still have 20-30 gallons in a 125 gallon tank.
fdean396

Re: Crusader 454 Stalling, barely running

Post by fdean396 »

I have an F36 and just took it out today for our first crusise of the year. 15 minutes later the starboard motor down started running rough and then when I went to an idle it died. The motor would start but would only remaining idling at about 1500 rpm and when throttled down would die. Changed the water fuel filter and that didn't help. Back at the slip I switched the valve between the battery switches to the left and tried starting the starbord motor again. After a few attemps the motor started and after revving it a few times it seems to be idling and running much better. When the starboard engine was running it seems as though it was drawing much more air than the port motor. The starboard vacum gauge also drops lower than the port gauge in similar throttle ups.

The motor is clearly running much better when the valve was turned to the left. The valve had been turned to the right (pointing to the front of the boat) when the motor stalled. My boat has 4 fuel tanks so not sure what the valve between the battery switches does but think one of the posts stated its a deverter valve. What does the valve do when turned left versus to the right (in a perpidecular position)? Is it diverting fuel from the port tanks to the starboard motor or does it isolate the aft tanks from the forward tanks?

Any feedback on what my problem might be? Could the problem be at the fuel tank? One post mentioned a problem a similar problem which was with the anti siphon valve at the tank?
Plan B
1972 - F36