Another new guy!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Bimmerbill

Another new guy!

Post by Bimmerbill »

Hello All,
I recently bought a 1984 Trojan 10M International Express. I've learned a lot from all the posts here, so thanks!
The boat is very much original. Looks like the original strainers, seacocks, windows, etc. I'll be going thru the systems and doing lots of cleaning for a while.
I am very tall and eye level seated at the helm is right at the upper windshield frame. Has anyone come up with a good height adjustment system for the stock bench seat? I don't want to shorten the bench base and want to be able to return the seat to a "normal" height in case someone else wants to sit at the helm.
I noticed that were were rectangular holes cut in the aft stringer for access to the prop shaft strut. Should I cover the openings so water doesn't get in there? Was this how they were built at the factory? It looks like the previous owner had a strut straightened.
I'd like to ventalate the rear bilge, where the fuel tank is. Seems like there is always a bit of water in there and I've noticed condensation on the engines. Any ideas on how to add some ventalation back there? I'd like to do the engine compartment too.
The rear bilge is big and empty. Can I mount a removable cooler in there, or some sort of removable storage box?

Thanks!
Bill
1984 Trojan 10 Meter International Express Cruiser
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME
Trojan Man

Re: Another new guy!

Post by Trojan Man »

welcome aboard! There is a lot of very useful information on this forum and as a new guy myself, I have found that everyone on here is very welcoming and very knowledgeable. I myself am also a tall person and have the same problem with looking at the top of the windshield when seated so I do most of my cruising standing up or slouching to see out when seated. Would love to see some pics of your Trojan. Also pics of the engine room would be helpful on some of the questions you asked. As I said before, welcome aboard.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

RWS is our resident expert on the 10 Meter. I'm not familiar with the holes in the stringer scenario. You can always add a blower to your engine compartment for ventilation. You should already have one, and need 2 per ABYC standards (2 engines - 1 per). You can add a some type of storage to your engine compartment as long as it is secured and will not fly around during rough weather.

Welcome aboard. The 10 Meter is a great boat.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Bimmerbill wrote:Hello All,
I recently bought a 1984 Trojan 10M International Express. I've learned a lot from all the posts here, so thanks!
The boat is very much original. Looks like the original strainers, seacocks, windows, etc. I'll be going thru the systems and doing lots of cleaning for a while.
I am very tall and eye level seated at the helm is right at the upper windshield frame. Has anyone come up with a good height adjustment system for the stock bench seat? I don't want to shorten the bench base and want to be able to return the seat to a "normal" height in case someone else wants to sit at the helm.
I noticed that were were rectangular holes cut in the aft stringer for access to the prop shaft strut. Should I cover the openings so water doesn't get in there? Was this how they were built at the factory? It looks like the previous owner had a strut straightened.
I'd like to ventalate the rear bilge, where the fuel tank is. Seems like there is always a bit of water in there and I've noticed condensation on the engines. Any ideas on how to add some ventalation back there? I'd like to do the engine compartment too.
The rear bilge is big and empty. Can I mount a removable cooler in there, or some sort of removable storage box?

Thanks!
Bill
===========================================================================================================

Tackling your "systems" one at a time is important, the goal being SAFETY and RELIABILITY

Personally I would LOVE to see/do a hydraulic or air adjustable helm seat. It's not really high on my priority list at this moment, but it would be a welcome addition.

the rectangular "holes" in the stringers are actually factory items.

These allow for access to the back side (inside the boat) of the struts. As I recall, there are backing plates in there. My first surveyor dinged the boat for not having nuts on those, however apparently the backing plates are threaded.

I have never had a moisture problem in that area, there is no way for water to get in from the top of the stringer, plus there are limber holes (I believe) for drainage.

If your boat is like mine, you have 4 woodless stringers and a liner in the engine room and the lazarette.

It is not unusual for water to collect under the liner, in the keel.

I believe the keel runs the length of the boat and that the front bilge area connects to the rear bilge area, but that the engine room is it's own compartment.

Are you in the water all the time or on a lift?

If you are in the water, (depending on how full your tanks are and how you are loaded) the lowest point of the boat is generally the fwd bilge.

I strongly suggest you do a hands on check of the automatic rear bilge pump.

Remove the aft swing out storage locker drawers and you will have access to the rear bilge pump and switch. They are behind the fuel tank.

Your lazarette should be DRY, however there is a weep hole in the bottom of the liner, in front of the fuel tank. Make sure it is clear of debris.

As far as storage is concerned, the ere is so much storage area under that aft deck that the Trojan did a redesign called the mid cabin where they raised the deck and moved the engine room aft, creating more usable cabin space.

My REVERSO oil change system and 3 RAYCOR diesel fuel filter systems and the genny diesel fuel tank are mounted in the lazarette.

There is also enough room down there to store the 8 HP Yamaha outboard for the dinghy, several "milk bottle crate" storage boxes full of dinghy equipment, lines & such and shore power cables and boat washing buckets, a spare anchor, chain & rode a manual bilge pump and numerous other large items.

Now, your job is to POST LOTS OF PICTURES !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

You should also find two bilge pump switches in each of the three bilge compartments.

one is for the bilge pump

the other is wired to the horn relay and acts as an alarm.

The bilge alarm was a STANDARD factory item, however over the years many of these were not maintained properly or were removed by previous owners.

here's a link to a photo.

http://www.boated.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=145573

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

Thanks for the info and welcome. I am in the water at a slip.

I checked the forward (cabin) and aft bilge pump and high water alarm. I thought there would be a buzzer or something, and was shocked when the horn went off! I haven't found the engine compartment bilge pump yet so will root around a bit more to find it.

It looks like I have 1 blower in the engine compartment. I'll check again today when I am changing the impellers.

The lazarette is where I was thinking of mounting a removable cooler or something. I seem to always have a small puddle aft, just below and in front of the fuel tank. I will definitely look for that drain hole and make sure it is unclogged. When I hosed off area below deck I had a fair amount of water built up there. It didn't seem to flow anywhere. I expected it to flow aft and be pumped out by the bilge pump.

I'll be down there again cleaning the surface of the fuel tank and wiping up any dirt or sludge I find. Overall it was pretty clean with minimum sludge and only a few pieces of debris. Mostly mildew on the hoses and some surface areas. The lazarette is the area where I'd like to ventilate. I'll dry it out and see if it accumulates water and check the drain hole.

I also need to clean around the enging hatches and make sure the drain holes are unclogged.
Bill
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

welcome aboard and to the forum. you've found a great boat and a good home here at tb.net. and you could not have a better guide than our own 'meter man' RWS. so, post some pics of the new lady in your life so we can see her.
again, welcome to the world of trojan boating.
tri cabin aaron, baltimore, md
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

Thanks all! I spent a lot of time in the engine compartment removing my two raw water cooled pumps yesterday.

ETA: the manual engine room bilge pump switch works, and I can hear the pump. It must be under where the genny used to be. There is a double battery bank there now.

Thanks again! I am off to install the rebuilt pumps (after heavy doses of coffee and Advil). Stuffing myself in the engine compartment was a bit tricky, since I'm 6'6"!

Bill
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME